Saturday, August 22, 2020

Cosmos In Bloom



The magenta Cosmos that I planted are now blooming.  Each week I feed them compost tea, and they have developed a lovely bright color through absorbing the nutrients.  It makes such a difference to amend and mulch the soil.  Ours is very rocky up in Wrightwood, California. 

I planted a few packages of sunflower seeds, as well.  I am hoping that they will bloom before the weather changes.  They always add a bright spot in the garden.  I sprinkled the soil with compost.  It was covered with pine needles, so I raked those up and deposited them in  the green waste bin.

I am nearly done with the writing project that I've been working on; it's getting exciting.  I have really enjoyed applying the hand written notes from Tommy Tune.  Peter Glebo emails them to me.  I will post the link once the article is finished and published.  It's so rewarding to use your talents, especially during a pandemic.  It's so easy to work with them.  That makes all the difference.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  

22 comments:

  1. Your cosmos flowers are beautiful! You certainly take very good care of your plants, nurturing them along. How wonderful to be nearing the completion of your writing project! Wish you all the best with it and look forward to being able to read it, once it is done. Hope you are safe from all the fires and have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. They do really well up here, this time of year. My neighbor had some last year and they got SO tall!

      Delete
  2. The cosmos are beautiful. I hope you have as much luck with your sunflowers. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. I hope so, too. I transplanted a few from Canyon Country, and they made it. Their blooms are small, but healthy.

      Delete
  3. Cosmos are such pretty flowers and bees love them! The cour of your cosmos os so vibrant. I have several packets of cosmos seeds to plant. A friend sent them to me which was a lovely gift. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was very sweet of your friend, Meg. I love the color, too. I think the compost tea made it brighter. They just soak up the nutrients.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful flowers. I've noticed that gardeners have a serenity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cosmos are nice! I planted sunflower seeds last summer late, and they did come up and were nice to have in the fall! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people do that in Santa Clarita, too, Andrea. I hope it works up in the mountains. The temperatures should be perfect.

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to seeing the finished article - very exciting!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Joy. I am looking forward to it, too.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful colour. I once grew a patch of cosmos and they didn't have a single flower on them. I was a bit disappointed as you can imagine but the leaves were nice so not a total waste of time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad, Cherie. They bloom late in the season here. They like the shorter nights. I love their foliage, too.

      Delete
  8. Looking forward to reading the article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mm. I will post the link, once it's finished and published.

      Delete
  9. Such sweet old fashioned flowers. You are smart to rack up the pine needles before planting. I will definitely read your article when you publish it. Enjoy the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anita. I love Cosmos. I have raked up about thirty bags of pine needles this year! Some of them I leave for mulch, but with all of these fires, I am careful.

      Delete
  10. Your cosmos are lovely and vibrant. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and for commenting, The Liberty Belle! They are such a pretty shade of pink.

      Delete
  11. Cosmos and sunflowers are such happy flowers! Yes it is good to build the soil with compost and mulch. Your garden will thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are, emw. The soil is improving. It looks nice and black underneath the straw mulch.

      Delete