Tuesday, August 25, 2020

A Cleaning Frenzy!

I have been cleaning the cottage all day.   I was really in the mood this morning, so I decided to get cracking!  This little place  really is the ideal retirement home.  It's easy to heat, cool and clean.  There's a lot to be said for small living.  

I picked up my vacuum from the repair shop.  I had dropped it off to be serviced and also had the cord replaced.  (It was fraying and sparking.)  It's a great little vacuum, though.  It's made by Shark.  I bought it fifteen years ago, on the recommendation of a lady that was helping me clean my house.  It's really light weight and picks up the dog hair beautifully!  I like the strong suction and the fact that it doesn't use bags. .

I vacuumed, dusted, mopped the floors, and cleaned the kitchen and bathroom.  There are still some other small things that need doing, but this place feels like home again.  My mom was such an excellent housekeeper.  I always feel like I don't measure up to her standard, instead of just doing my best and making my environment as clean and neat as possible.  She told not to be like she was, that it would drive me crazy.  Now I see what she meant.  It does feel good once things are done, though.  I also did a load of laundry and hung it outside in the sunshine to dry.

I decided to stop at the new T. J. Maxx this morning.   Our old one had changed its location.  I wasn't quite sure where it was.  I drove around, and found the new store on Golden Valley. What a fabulous shopping center they have built there!  I was so impressed.   I picked up several things that I needed: a new pair of sandals made in Spain, a rose colored sun dress, some candles for the cabin, and a snake to clean my sink drains.  The prices were excellent!  I hadn't been shopping in months and months!  It was really fun, and there were very few people in the store.  Everything was so clean.

I browsed through the gourmet foods and coffee, admired some of the dog beds and towels, and searched for a bikini.  The one that I usually wear is getting stretched out:  I guess I will have to mend it and take a tuck in the waist.  The top still fits perfectly.  I'm going to wear a two piece while I still can, because I know that someday it will not be a pretty sight.  The swimsuit I bought last year is still in excellent condition.  It's very well made.  It will easily last another season.

How are things with you?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.    

 

29 comments:

  1. I too feel happy and relaxed after a good cleaning session. Having a small house is a blessing. Less space to clean, to heat, and maintain.

    I didn’t go to TJ Maxx at all this year. I also like to browse through their gourmet food section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite store, Nil. I love the new one. It's just beautiful!

      Delete
  2. Your shopping trip sounded fun! I am an avid-house cleaner! lol. It's like our line of vision is set a certain way and we "feel" better when all is clean. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Andrea. I feel so much better about everything when my house is clean.

      Delete
  3. It does feel good to have the whole place cleaned from top to bottom, doesn't it?

    Sounds like you had a fun shopping trip and found lots of good buys. I'm glad you have a new shopping center. Hope you find the bikini you want. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels incredible, Bless. I will keep looking for the bikini.

      Delete
  4. Isn't it great when cleaning frenzy mood hits. So much gets done and it doesn't feel like a chore. Other than food shopping I haven't been anywhere near any shops since March. I bet you had great fun wandering around and browsing the displays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cherie. Being in the mood to clean brings speed and power.

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't DARE wear a two piece - I'd probably get arrested. lol
    I'm glad you enjoyed your shopping. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too funny, Joy. I will wear one while I can...

      Delete
  6. welcome,I like your posts,greetings from Warsaw,anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and for commenting, Nowe. Welcome.

      Delete
  7. You got so much done Stephenie. I does feel satisfying to have a nice clean home. Sounds like you really enjoyed your day out shopping.

    I have had the cleaning bug lately too. I am getting lots done, which is great because I had gotten behind with quite a few things. It feels so good to look around and everything is sparkling clean and all neat and tidy. I wish it would stay clean longer than it does, but oh well.

    Have a lovely day,
    xTania



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it did, too, Tania. With just one person in the home it stays clean for a while.

      Delete
  8. So nice to have a good clean and everything tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't been shopping in quite a while myself. I do need to venture out soon though since my undies and bras are getting way past their prime and I could use some new placemats for the kitchen table. The placemats are 27 years old and the fabric is starting to shred a bit. I love my old Oreck vacuum that was a splurge 30 years ago. It is so light weight and folds flat for going under furniture. Still works like a champ due to regular visits to the repair shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic, Anita. A working vacuum is so important. Hope you find some pretty new placemats.

      Delete
  10. I decided to do lots of cleaning on Monday and my vacuum cleaner broke down. On my daughter's recommendation I bought a Shark yesterday (I ordered from the website and it was delivered next day!) and the suction on it is amazing. The detachable cylinder made it so much easier to vacuum the stairs.
    Well done you for wearing a bikini, my 2 piece days are definitely over...lol...!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know, the suction is incredible! Glad you are enjoying yours. I got mine on sale at Macy's.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I rather like a good clean. Mending appliances is really good, we mend what can be fixed. We had to say goodbye to our ancient vacuum cleaner when me then 5 year old was sick and used the vacuum to clean (rather than asking for help), then filled the sink to clean the vacuum.... he was not hurt, thank goodness. The new model didn't last nearly as long.

    We have TK Maxx here but I haven't been in a while. I might after reading about your successful shopping trip xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yikes! I have had my vacuum for at least fifteen years. It's so well made. Hope you enjoyed your trip to T.J. Maxx, if you went. I love that store!

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney. It was very productive! Hope you are doing well.

      Delete
  14. I love it when my house is clean and tidy. It's so much easier to relax when I'm on top of the chores. I don't have a regular schedule but I enjoy a good cleaning session when I'm in the right frame of mind. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, too, Jules. It does help to be in the cleaning mood. It makes things go so much faster...

      Delete
  15. I try only to clean when it is too wet and cold to garden! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it when my home is clean and tidy!! It feels so good. But, and this is a big but, I've noticed that I can get quite slack in this area just by living alone.Today is clean-a-few-extra-things day.

    ReplyDelete