Sunday, August 30, 2020

Taking Time To Relax During The Pandemic



The past few days I have really been enjoying some down time.  I have a tendency to push myself with my writing work, housekeeping and gardening.  I often forget to take a day of rest.  One day bleeds into the next, especially since the virus hit. 

Yesterday and today I relaxed on the couch, read a new book on my mom's Kindle, and sat outside in the sunshine with my chicken, Snow White.  She normally stays in her coop.  I decided to let her venture outside of it for a while. I sat carefully on the swing and watched over her.  She tentatively scratched the soil, ate some bugs, and walked around, gingerly.

Overhead I spotted a hawk and heard the telltale sound, "Caw!"   I scooped up Snow White and held her close to my chest.  She snuggled into me.  She's so sweet and appreciative.  I walked  back to the coop with her safely in my arms and locked her securely inside the French door.

Her previous owner told me that her sister, who was also a white Silkie, was killed by a hawk that got into their coop.  How traumatic.  I know those chickens remembered.  Snow White is the only one of the four still alive now.  Her sisters used to totally freak out if I ever left their door open; I could feel them panicking.  They reminded me of the chickens in the Foster Farms commercials.  Today she seemed more at ease with me there with her.  It's so much fun to watch chickens; they are very entertaining.

Have you been taking time to relax and recharge?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

   

18 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are taking some time to relax, Stephenie. Snow White sounds really special. It must be so nice to have a chicken, especially if it lays fresh eggs! Probably quite a bit of work, too, to keep the coop clean and so forth.

    I am afraid that I relax a bit too much! I always feel that I should be more productive than I am! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With just one chicken, it is very little work, Bless. She's sweet and docile. They are easy pets. I think you are very productive, and always admire all that you get done.

      Delete
  2. I find a good swim both relaxing and invigorating at the same time. I'm not a good swimmer, it's just a slow up and down while I sort things out in my mind and make plans.
    Poor little Snow White - I'm glad she is safe with you now.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Joy. That photo above is where I go swimming. It's so lovely there, with the views.

      Delete
  3. We have 6 chickens which we love to watch. Their antics make us smile, they are a real pleasure and we blessed to be able to keep them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Six chickens! How fun, mm. They are so entertaining.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful view! Yes there are a few predators for those cute chickens! I remember the days when my grandparents were retired. They sat on their porches a lot and so did their neighbors. I wish people these days would do that more often and live a slower life! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of us in my neighborhood sit out on our porches, Andrea. Most of us are seniors now. I love the view at the lake. It's exquisite.

      Delete
  5. Poor little Snow White! We have lots of hawks, eagles and falcons here because we live adjacent to a nature reserve. All are very noisy. I read in our local newspaper that a small dog was scooped up by a large hawk recently never to be seen again. Very scary for the family. Yes, it is important to take time off. We still treat each weekend morning as special even though we have been retired for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are noisy, Anita. I like it, though, because it warns me that they are watching. How sad for the family of that small dog. People lose their cats to owls here. Your weekends sound ideal.

      Delete
  6. How lovely! I could do with a bit of downtime just now, maybe I'll allow myself to slow down. After all, a few minutes of utter peace goes a long way to being more efficient later. I'd love to own chickens. Does yours lay eggs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Christina. She's six now, so she rarely lays eggs. She is very healthy and happy, though. Her white, downy feathers are so soft!

      Delete
  7. A hawk of some variety regular scouts over my garden.It's fascinating to watch even though I know what it's looking for. Your little chook sounds so sweet. Will you buy more or is she destined to be an only child

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She seems okay on her own, Cherie. She has a safe view of all of the wild birds, so hopefully she doesn't feel too alone.

      Delete
  8. When ever I visited my daughters previous farm, her chickens had the run of the property. One in particular would come running up to greet me, wings wide, then run back to the others always making the same excited noises. I was sure that she was telling the others that I'd arrived. You sound very in tume with animals, Stephenie, which I do feel is like a gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cute, swami! Yes, they do that...I love animals and they do communicate with me. Thank you.

      Delete
  9. I love all the green in this picture. I do try to remember to take a break. For me taking a break means going out to lay out in the grass under the shade of a tree, or like you, read a good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kari, I love it, too. Thanks for reading and for commenting.

      Delete