Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Paying Home Insurance



Today I paid my my home insurance premiums.  I took the envelopes to the post office, mailed them at the counter, and bought some more Forever stamps.  It's such a relief when the big bills are paid.  Property taxes will be due before we know it!

The arborist who trims my trees called me and we arranged to have some more work done.  Maintaining large oaks and pines is expensive, but it's so worth it.  I am excited to see the transformation completed.  It makes the whole energy in the yard so magical. 

Tomorrow I plan to amend my soil with some homemade compost.  I've been saving my fruit and vegetable scraps and depositing them deep into the compost pile each evening.  It's attracted an abundance of red wiggler worms.  They do an excellent job of turning the soil and improving it.

How are things going with you?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are keeping on top of things, Stephenie, and taking good care of your home and garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are 'Forever stamps', please. Are they a form of savings?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy, forever stamps last forever. If the postal rates go up, you can still use them.

      Delete
  3. Finding worms in the garden is a most encouraging thing - it shows it is healthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know! I have oodles of red wigglers. I put them up in my new garden at the cabin.

      Delete
  4. Owning house and land is expensive but also wonderful. It is really good to get those bills paid, isn't it? Our big bills are not due for a while but I am not looking forward to this time.... Well looked after trees are safe trees, much less likely to be damaged in high winds. I wish our neighours had your foresight, their Scott Pine is not in good shape. Have a good week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina. Yes, it makes such a difference to take care of your trees.

      Delete
  5. We just paid ours. Beautiful trees. There is so much to home ownership, isn't there! Never ends! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Andrea. It's also very rewarding, though.

      Delete
  6. I also feel relieved when we pay off the big bills. Our homeowner/earthquake insurance was due at the start of August. Done and done! Good for you for taking proactive care of the trees. Do you see a lot of beetle damage in the trees?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Some of the boundary trees had beetle damage, so those are being removed this week by Southern CA Edison. A few are dead. It's sad to see. This will prevent it spreading.

      Delete
  7. For Joy:

    I tried to reply under your comment, but it did not upload. I'm attributing it to my very slow internet. Sorry!

    Forever Stamps are issued by USPS (U.S. Postal Service) at the current first-class letter rate and they can be used in the future, regardless of the first-class rate at that time. They are issued in booklets of 20 or rolls of 100 stamps.

    Essentially, savings may occur at the back-end rather than at purchase. I still have eight stamps in a booklet purchased at .46 USD a while ago (three years or so) that can be used now or in the future without paying the the difference between the purchase price and current price, as we did previously. A small convenience. :-)


    ...Taja

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always pay my bills on time and make sure that I don't spend rashly so that I've actually got money for my bills. I wouldn't be able to handle the stress if I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Big bills are painful but once paid you can relax. I do love to use my own home made compost but am now starting to put veggies scraps directly into the very bottom of outdoor plant pots. I fill them with good compost and add my seeds or seedlings. I probably need to add a few worms but don't like to imprison them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's an interesting method, Cherie. Your plants look beautiful. I love your garden.

    ReplyDelete