Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Another Big Fire Here

mature trees at the Wrightwood Country Club
 
This afternoon I heard fire trucks go screaming down Sierra Highway.  I sensed  both urgency and doom in the way they were speeding.  There were two fires in this area today.  The first one was only five acres of land, up by the 5 freeway.

The fire near my cottage was the one that worried me.  It was burning 400 acres, last time I  checked.  This is becoming all too common.  It's in the history books, so many homes burned to the ground when this area was first settled.  They didn't have fire departments in those days.  It gives me a sick sense of dread when I see the smoke and hear the sirens.  Part of the reason that I started looking for a cabin in the mountains was because of the repeated summer burnings in this area.  It makes me nervous.

Fortunately, it's not too windy today, and our firefighters are very experienced.  Thank goodness there isn't a lot of protesting going on at this time.  Recently things were so out of control.  We really need our civil servants in times like these; it's so dangerous without them.  I am very thankful for their dedication and training.

On a more positive note, the sunflowers are in bloom, and the garden is doing extremely well.  We have had very pleasant temperatures for this time of year.  Today it was eighty degrees.  Normally it's much hotter.  I picked the first few ripe, red tomatoes from the garden for salads.  I also tasted the first green chili pepper that I have ever grown.  I sauteed it with onions and put them both on my chicken enchilada, garnished with fresh cilantro.  Yum! 

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  

20 comments:

  1. Our fire season starts earlier and earlier, each year and goes on for longer and longer. I hope no fires come close to your cottage or cabin. Take care and be safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I am relieved that this didn't happen a few weeks ago. At least we had a generous amount of rain this year.

      Delete
  2. Garden produce is just amazing. I'm glad you are starting to enjoy it.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, Joy. Thanks. I am thrilled with the harvests this year.

      Delete
  3. So sorry to read about the fires, hope all is well and that they are under control. So nice that you are rewarded with the harvest fro your garden, a reward for all the hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the soil is very rich. I think mulching last November really made a difference in the quality of the vegetables, mm.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Mereknits. Hope all is well with you and the gang.

      Delete
  5. I am relieved to know you are not being impacted (as of now) from the Rowher Fire. I certainly hope this will not be a significant wildfire season. Enjoy the vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. Rowher Flats is not far from my cottage. I hope we have a safe season, too. The tomatoes are ripening quickly. It's so exciting. I hope your vegetables are doing well, too.

      Delete
  6. I hope you and your home stays safe! As if anyone in our country needs another worry to pile on! Enjoy your tomatoes!! I'm jealous! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. Lots of ripe tomatoes on the vine today! It's so exciting...

      Delete
  7. That must be really very worrying for you but reassuring to know that the fire department are on top of the situation. Please stay safe. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I drove through smoke here yesterday as our rural bushfire crew backburned a tract of forest as part of management plans for coming bushfire season. It's a risk in so many areas in Australia and local crews do amazing job for our community. We need them more than ever as these weather patterns and fire threats become more common. I hope fire near you can be contained and that you stay safe. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting concept, Meg. It makes sense. All is well here, thanks.

      Delete
  9. That must be so scary. Stay safe, Stephenie. X

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't even imagine how worrying the fire situation is for you: Take care. So good that you also have your cabin in a safe area. Go well, go safe. New Zealand has earthquakes (but often they don't affect anyone).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks swami. New Zealand looks beautiful. The cabin has been such a Godsend. I love spending time up there.

      Delete