Friday, November 20, 2020

A Bike Ride Along the Beach in Santa Monica


Yesterday morning after breakfast I packed up my backpack with some tortilla chips, a large  bottle of water, and a few pieces of Ghiradelli peppermint bark.  I followed Lula to  the car, (she couldn't wait to go on an adventure!) lifted my bicycle onto the bike rack, and drove down the uncrowded  405 freeway to Santa Monica.  

I parked carefully at the mall, and made a note on my ticket of my parking spot, the floor, and the color of the bulding.  Lula and I rode on the Colorado Street bike path to the pier.  She galloped along beside me as we both gazed at the ocean.  I loved her excited reaction.  The beach is so vast and expansive.  There were other people out walking and running, too, leaving plenty of space for everyone to socially distance.  Many of us were wearing masks.  The other dogs were well behaved and on leashes.  It was calm and peaceful. 


We stopped after turning around, and sat on an empty bench.  I gave Lula a bowl of water, and one of her dog biscuits.  I quietly munched on the chips, and watched the other passers by and their dogs.  Everyone seemed comfortable and relaxed.  The weather was sunny and warm, in the 70's.  It's heavenly here this time of year.  It is a pleasure to drive the thirty miles to the beach.  I didn't take advantage of it for decades when I was busy with my work.  Now I relish the time and the scenery. 

We may be under lockdown again soon, so I wanted to take advantage of a short day trip while we could.  I drove home down San Vicente, passed through picturesque Brentwood, turned right on Wilshire,  and merged back onto the freeway, this time heading North.  There was very little traffic-one positive aspect of the pandemic.

I sang along to Christmas carols on the way home.  I love Holiday music.  Once home, Lula slept like a log for several hours.  I think the beach run exhausted her, but in a healthy way.  Where do you go to get your outdoor exercise?     

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.   

16 comments:

  1. Lula is so well behaved. I can't imagine my dog doing that as his breed is prey driven which is a pain. It looks lovely where you went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has good habits, Frugal. I find a structured routine really makes animals well behaved. I use the Walkdog, which is a bar that attaches to my bicycle and connects to her collar. Most of the dogs there seemed to be regulars and well socialized.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for description of the fresh and nice journey,I visited the small park and that's all.greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Nowe. I hope you enjoyed your visit to the small park.

      Delete
  3. That is a truly lovely place to exercise Stephenie. We are not so lucky here. We have been visiting the local park once or twice a week for a good walk but they have now turned it into a drive through covid testing station. I am gutted because we have nowhere else to walk except on the streets 😪 unless we drive some distance away which I feel is wrong during lockdown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too bad, PP. We are fortunate to have wonderful places to ride bikes here. Some of the bike paths are paved and are car-free. It's a wonderful diversion.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a lovely day out, Stephenie. I'm glad you and Lula were able to enjoy a trip to the beach. :) Ah, yes, we might be facing another lockdown soon. I just walk in my garden and driveway for my outdoor exercise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Bless. That's what my neighbor does. Sometimes she walks at the mall, too. It was so uplifting to visit the ocean.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a nice outing.

    Sometimes I go to the nearby park for a walk, but mostly I do exercise indoors. I need to spend more time outside. I don’t think it’s healthy to stay inside too long, but that’s what I’ve been doing lately because of this ‘work from home’ routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Nil. I missed this comment. I agree about staying inside for too long. You have to do what you have to do. Hopefully it's temporary. It does really help to be outside, especially in the sunshine.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful way to spend an afternoon! This weather is absolute perfection isn't it? Steve and I took a very strenuous hike yesterday morning in the local mountains. The trail, while only 4.2 miles, increased in elevation close to 1000 feet in the first 3 miles. Christmas carols are also one of my favorite parts of this time of year. I always wonder which one I will hear first each year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 1000 feet, Anita. That's intense. I took an uphill hike yesterday, too. It was nice to find a trail that was open; most of ours are now closed.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like such a lovely and idyllic day. Where I live is suburbia, and really hilly. Everywhere. So basically this is where I walk. When I get time, I'm going to drive to seaside places that I love, just to go for walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's really worth it, ratnamurti. There's nothing like visiting the ocean. It's so expansive and relaxing.

      Delete
  8. Nacho and I walk daily through our neighborhood. It's a circa 1960's development...no sidewalks and really wide streets. I rarely pass anyone, especially now that it's getting cooler. With the increase in covid cases, I take my mask with me just in case I see anyone else out walking. There are local parks I could go to but Nacho is not good with people. He was almost 6 when we got him from a rescue, so who knows what kind of life he had before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Debbie. That's too bad that Nacho is not good with people. You are wise to keep him a safe distance from them, in case he was abused.

      Delete