Saturday, November 28, 2020

No Power On Thanksgiving

On Thanksgiving  our power was shut off from 1:00 p.m.  until 3:00 p.m. the following day.  Fortunately, my neighbor had warned me the previous afternoon that the power company was concerned about high winds and fire danger.  She suspected we might lose power.   So, I made all of the side dishes a day early.  She had her whole meal finished, including the turkey.  I put my stuffed chicken in the oven at 9:00 a.m. and it was fully cooked by 11:00 a.m.  I ate at noon.  

Thank goodness my neighbor had seen the notice on our local radio station's website. The power company sent me a warning call  at 12:45 p.m. on Thanksgiving day.   Many families were right in the middle of their preparations.  I feel so badly for them.  The expense, the time, energy, and excitement had really built.  (Especially during Covid-19.)  What a shame for all of those people who lost their food.

I drove to the gas station to buy more candles at 5:00 p.m.  I tripped in the dark kitchen when I got home, and broke half of them.  It was hard to sweep up the glass with just a small flashlight.   I had a hurricane lamp, but the oil must have evaporated since the last time I used it.  It flickered enough for me to take a bath, and then the flame died.  I thought I had some extra lamp oil in the cupboard, but I don't.

I ended up going to bed at 7:00 p.m.  because it was so dark.  There was nothing else to do.  You couldn't use your computer or Kindle.  It's hard to read at this age by candlelight.

The next morning, I packed up my freezer contents and Thanksgiving feast, and brought everything up to the cabin.  I had phoned my neighbor to make sure there was power up here.  I carried all of my perishables in cloth shopping bags and unloaded them into the fridge once I arrived.  I was so grateful to have a place to go, and a working fridge and freezer.

The first thing I did was to make a pot of coffee.  I had forgotten to replenish my emergency coffee supply at the cottage.  I used to keep a tin of ground coffee in the freezer for that very reason.  Without electricity, I couldn't use the coffee grinder or plug in my one cup coffee maker.  I need to leave my French press there.  I had relocated it to the cabin, because I love the flavor that it gives the coffee.  It reminds me of when I was working in Paris.  

Some people on our street had their generators running.  They are expensive and complicated to install.  I plan to buy more lamp oil, a lantern, several of those religious candles, and a huge flashlight.  My emergency radio/flashlight didn't work, because it is solar.  Live and learn.  We were very fortunate.  

All's well that ends well, as my dad used to say.  Have you ever experienced a power outage?  Were you prepared?   

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.    


26 comments:

  1. Your pie on the last post looks delicious! I have little Pyrex pie plates that is more like a pie for one or two. It is hard to bake when I'm the only one who eats sweets. Oh, the power! How awful! Without ample warning even. I read in the news the day prior that CA was thinking of doing that. Sorry you tripped and fell (hopefully you didn't get hurt) and your candles ruined. But more and more, you are loving your cabin and grateful for it! We have a generator. The first thing I do when we hook it up, is make a cup of coffee! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. It was! I know what you mean about the coffee. I just bought a manual antique coffee grinder.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry you were affected by the power shut off, Stephenie. They had mentioned it in the news that a power company was considering a power outage and customers were being notified. But, I am a DWP customer, so, as soon as I heard that it wasn't DWP that was cutting the power, I stopped paying attention! It's hard to be prepared for every emergency, isn't it? Sometimes, even when we think we are prepared, we find out that we are not! I have several flashlights; I check their batteries on a regular basis and I have a supply of spare batteries, too. I also have a stash of candles. My problem would be to keep warm if the power goes out in the winter - although my heater is natural gas, the thermostat is electric. I imagine I'd pile all my quilts on the bed and huddle under them! I'm glad you have another home you could go to and wait out the power cut. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I just bought some more lamp oil today. I wonder if my thermostat is electric? I don't think so. I put the gas heat on the morning I returned, and it worked. I am just going to work on having more lighting. I don't have tv, so I didn't hear the news.

      Delete
  3. Thank goodness you were prepared for the outage. I feel bad for those who didn't receive any warning. I often feel I could be better prepared for such an event, although I never actually do anything about it. I suppose I do always have my torch and camping stove within easy reach if necessary. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you have those, Jules. I need to buy extra batteries for the flashlights. So far, they are still working. I just replaced the carbon monoxide alarms and smoke alarms today.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy your thanksgiving dinner but your experiences have Made ne stop and think what I would do in the case of a power cut. I do have all the supplies I would need but I need to bring my candles up out of the storage and put them where they would be easily accessed.Thank goodness I have the wood burner as I can warm soup/milk and boil the kettle if needs be. Stay safe. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Cherie. Yes, having the candles within easy reach makes a big difference.

      Delete
  5. That is a long power outage. No, I haven't had one of that duration, but it is always a good idea to have some emergency supplies. We have a gas barbeque and so long as it is OK to light it outdoors (ie not a total fire ban day) we could cook on that. I have a lot of candles and a extra battery for my phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, emw. My cell phone can be charged in the car, as well.

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh, what an experience. We don't realise how much we depend on electricity until its not there do we. We are lucky in that the longest time we have ever had a power failure was around 8 hours and it was during the Summer months so quite light. We had no way to heat water or to cook anything and were so relieved when the power returned. Other than that it's been just a couple of hours at a time so no need to worry about the food in the fridge/freezer spoiling. The poor, poor families in the middle of cooking their Thanksgiving dinners must have been gutted. Thank heavens you were pre-warned and had somewhere to go Stephenie. Let's hope it doesn't happen again.
    Have a great day x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, PP. It probably will happen again, but I am better prepared now. The cabin is such a blessing!

      Delete
  7. I am glad you could enjoy your Thanksgiving meal, albeit a little early. What a shame though for all those people having to miss out because the potential power outage was not communicated earlier. We cook with gas, at least coffee is always possible. I'd be quite grumpy without a cup of coffee in the morning! Have a wonderful week, hopefully no power outages at the cabin or the cottage x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have gas, too, Christina. I had just forgotten to bring back the ground coffee for emergencies. I couldn't use the grinder. It all worked out, though. It sure made me appreciate electricity.

      Delete
  8. Power companies have the technology to warn people way in advance. Most people have a mobile phone they can message! I'm pleased you got your meal cooked and your day wasn't spoiled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I felt very fortunate, Frugal. It was a good lesson for me.

      Delete
  9. I was glad to read you were able to make it to the cabin safely. We did not have the really high winds here near the coast, but our local mountains did have some high speed gusts. The winds seemed to have stayed northeast of me-which means they affected you!! We have flashlights and candles here just in case but are you really ever completely prepared for an emergency? I love my French press. I use it every night for our after dinner coffee. Your Thanksgiving meal sounds very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An after dinner coffee sounds delicious. I just bought some antique champagne glasses and I thought of you. They are so delicate and feminine!

      Delete
  10. I’m glad your neighbor told your about the power outage. I don’t understand why the power company didn’t bother to give an early notice to their customers. 15 minutes is nothing, especially on Thanksgiving day.

    I’m always prepared for power outages, because we almost always lose power after a hurricane. The longest outage was three days, I think it was in 2005.

    Hope you are safe and well in the cabin, Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, They give us lots of notice up at the cabin, but at the cottage it was only fifteen mins. Wow, three days...I remember reading your blog and how you lost a lot of your stockpile. All is well now. Thanks Nil.

      Delete
  11. Sorry to read about your power cut. We have them regularly due to high winds so I am always prepared. Lessons have been learnt over time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, mm. I learned my lesson this time. I need to check on my supplies more regularly. It all worked out well, though.

      Delete
  12. Wow! That certainly was an ordeal. How sad to shut the power on Thanksgiving but I understand why. It was good you had somewhere else to go. We bought little lightswitches on Amazon that stick to the wall, run on battery, and give an amazing amount of light- we put them in a few places in our home. They are inexpensive an really help when the power goes out-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those sound great, judee. I will have to order some of those from Amazon.

      Delete
  13. Wow no power for a whole day, on thanksgiving no less! That's too bad, maybe they should have warned everybody the day before.
    I've never been without power, but I can imagine using candle lights. It would be neat to see candle lights everywhere, the darkness illuminated by candle lights. Maybe it's not so nice, but the idea of it to me is. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's nice if you have enough candles. I think a fireplace makes a big difference. It is very dark in the winter at 5:00. We all survived, though.

      Delete