Sunday, November 1, 2020

Had Internet Connected Up At The Cabin


 

On Friday two of the workers from UIA came to the cabin hook up internet service for me.  They did a fantastic job.  They were on time, polite, enthusiastic, and efficient.  I love having people work at my home who are honest and dependable.  I was amazed at their climbing skills.

For the past year, I have been walking to the library and using their computer.  It is such a relief to have access from home now.  The cold weather is coming, and if the roads are filled with snow and ice, the librarians won't be able to  make it up the hill to get to work.  There were times last winter when I would trudge over there in my snow boots to find the door locked and closed.  Now I can just switch on my computer by the fireplace. 

Small details really do make our homes more comfortable.  Having  the wood stacked neatly by  the fireplace brings a feeling of security and warmth.  There is a vintage glass jar filled with matches, and several books and DVD's available for entertainment when we can't go outside...

This morning I will be raking leaves and adding them to my compost pile.  The roses are blooming again, and have been enjoying this mild weather. I will feed them some compost tea today.  The tangerines are starting to turn orange, now that the days are shorter and the temperatures at night have dropped.  

I harvested the persimmons last week; they are sweet and juicy.  For years that tree didn't produce.  I think last season's rain and the compost and mulch I applied gave it the energy and strength that it needed.   

How are things with you?  I hope you had a happy Halloween.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

 


23 comments:

  1. I was happy to read you now have access to the internet at the cabin. It is nice to have even if you don't use it on a regular basis. It sounds like you have been busy as usual. Did the deck get finished?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice having it, Anita. They are going to stain the deck tomorrow. It's been sanded and pressure washed. The weather is ideal. Yes, it's been busy, but also exciting.

      Delete
  2. I would be lost without broadband. In these strange times I can access so much online shopping, entertainment, family. I love the description of your cosy cabin I hope the weather remains mild a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The forecast looks excellent, Frugal. It feels totally different up her now, being able to connect with everyone without leaving the cabin.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful cabin! Looks quality-made! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea. A man from Germany built it with his two sons. He was such a craftsman! You have a good eye.

      Delete
  4. I, too, am glad to read that you have internet connection at the cabin, now, Stephenie. This way, you can be online in the warmth and safety of your home. You have been busy, but, you are getting a lot accomplished. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bless. Yes, time is of the essence. Winter will be here before we know it.

      Delete
  5. This is a good move -the ease of use of the internet can be a real blessing at times. Thanks for being one of those 'nice' parts of the internet for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure can, emw. It's a relief to be able to see what's happening in the world at all times. Thanks for being the same for me!

      Delete
  6. I'm so pleased that you have the internet connected up now. It's the one thing I would really miss if I didn't have it. Your cabin looks and sounds just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie. The cabin is a beauty. I love it. It's beautifully designed, and very well built. He was a craftsman.

      Delete
  7. Being connected is really useful, particularly when you are quite remote. Your cabin looks really nice, it looks cosy in the evening light. Do persimmons store well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Christina. I am close to friends and neighbors up here, but we do get snowed in at times. Persimmons don't keep very long, but you can scrape out the pulp and freeze it. I always eat mine. My neighbor freezes the ones I give her, and she makes persimmon bread and cookies with it.

      Delete
  8. That's really good. I think I'd be lost without my Internet connection.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read more books without it, Joy. But, it's nice to have.

      Delete
  9. Hi Stephanie, I always enjoy reading your post. I can tell from them that you are a very calm person, very present, and enjoy every moment however small. The smallest things are usually the things that can be overlooked. You are exactly what I strive to be =)
    I'm glad you are ready to have comfortable cold days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet, Kari. Thank you for the compliment. I do yoga and meditate to stay calm. I have been a bit anxious lately, but am feeling more centered again. You sound very in tune to me, too.

      Delete
  10. Yay for having internet at the cabin!
    Now you don’t have to go out in bad weather. Your cabin looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, Nil. I try to go to the library as often as I can, because it helps them to stay open during the pandemic. They keep track of the number of visitors each day. I am a regular. I love having Internet here, though. Thank you. The cabin is a really special piece of architecture. I love it.

      Delete
  11. Fantastic about having the internet installed at your cabin. Your cabin sounds like a dream come true. I lived in a wood cabin in some hilly bush covered ranges for a year. I loved it so much. However, the roof leaked when it rained, and it was freezing cold. But you know, I still miss it everyday. It's turned out best for family reasons that I moved from there,but I still long for that place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a shame, ratnamurti. With a new roof, a wood stove, or some heat, that sounds like it could have been an ideal place. I hope you can find another someday. This one is very snug and warm. There is a heater in all of the downstairs rooms. It saves energy that way. Even the bathroom has a wall heater that is fantastic when it's snowing. The fireplace really makes it cozy, too.

      Delete
  12. That picture of your cabin at night just looks so inviting and cozy, Stephanie. I'm imagining it with snow on the ground and twinkling white lights or candles in the windows!

    You really have got a lot accomplished in the time that you have been there.

    ReplyDelete