Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Would You Bake A Pie For One Person?


 

I met up with my neighbor this afternoon, and we were discussing what we were baking and preparing for Thanksgiving.  She enthusiastically told me that she was making her pumpkin pie with a butter pie crust, eggs, and whipped cream.  She looked so happy and excited that it made me go home and do the same thing. 

I used to make pumpkin pie for my mom, my brother, and I, when I was growing up.  Just a few of us in the family liked it.  I would make a fruit pie for everyone else, too.  (usually apple or berry.)  My mother was always so appreciative when I made them, telling me that my homemade crust was much better that the store bought pies.  It does make a difference.  So does the freshness.  She'd have me bake the pies the  day before Thanksgiving, , then on Thanksgiving morning, we would cook all day together.  My dad always helped.  ( and he did the shopping and dishes.)  We started early, chopping onions and celery for the stuffing.

I  baked an apple crisp yesterday, but decided to go ahead and make a pumpkin pie today, too.  Why not?  I had the ingredients. I whipped together the eggs, sugar, spices, pumpkin, and canned milk.  It brought back memories of making this dessert for so many years for my family.  I rolled out the homemade crust, and placed it in a beautiful hand painted pie dish from Poland that used to belong to my mom.  


 After placing the pie dish on the rack, I carefully poured the pumpkin mixture into the shell.  Ever so slowly, I inched the wire rack back into position, closed the door,  and let the pie bake for one hour.  I wish my mom was here to have a slice.  As I carefully removed it from the oven, I told her to help herself, if she was listening.  You never know, she might be around...  "It looks so pretty," I felt like she whispered back to me.  The filling had come together, and the top was lightly browned.  When you come in the front door the cottage smells buttery and delightful.

I'll enjoy it tomorrow, after the stuffed chicken with all the trimmings.  All of the side dishes are already made.  I may give some pie to some of the kids in the neighborhood, if they want it.  I will ask a couple of the women who live on my street.  It will last in the fridge.  How is your cooking going?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.       

 

16 comments:

  1. Your chat about baking pies makes me want to bake one, maybe for Christmas. I bought a pumpkin pie in the bakery section at Whole Foods, for our Thanksgiving meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I buy cherry pies at our local grocery store, Terra. Either way, they are delicious! Enjoy your Thanksgiving meal.

      Delete
  2. Pumpkin pie is one of my favorites! And the answer to your question is, Yes! Most definitely! :) Have a happy Thanksgiving, Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine,too, Bless. Happy Thanksgiving to you, as well.

      Delete
  3. It sounds so delicious and it's lovely to read your fond memories of cooking together with your family. I'll be enjoying a slice of pumpkin pie myself later today.
    Happy Thanksgiving. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll think of you while having a sliver, Jules. Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. Hi Stephenie. I have never eaten pumpkin pie but it's on my list of things to try.. Hmmn that rhymes unintentionally :-) It sounds lovely and there is nothing like the taste of fresh baked goodies to make a house feel like home. I'm currently making a lot of soda bread as it's so simple and tasty. I would definitely bake a pie for one person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are making me want to bake a loaf of Irish soda bread again, Cherie. I only have done it once, but it was really tasty. You are so right about the aroma of baked goods making a house feel like a home.

      Delete
  5. Well the memories and the smell would have been worth it alone! Good on you for keeping up the traditions even if they are different this year. Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, emw. Yes, we are all adjusting to this virus. Good food makes all the difference, I think.

      Delete
  6. I baked our pumpkin pies yesterday, Wednesday. We all love our pumpkin pies. I use my mom's recipe which is basically the one on the back of the Libby 100% pumpkin can, but with my mom's secret added instructions. I love a highly spiced pumpkin pie. I agree about crust-it must be made fresh. This is the start of a sad time for me as the holidays were centered all around my dad for the last 14 years since my mom died. Just Steve and I this year to enjoy a small turkey, stuffing, roasted sweet potatoes and cranberry molded salad. And champagne!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds delicious, Anita. I like a highly spiced pumpkin pie, too. Your simple meal sounds a lot like mine. I will have whipped potatoes and homemade cranberry sauce. The stuffing and gravy are my favorites. I'm sure your pie will be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd been on the fence about doing any festive baking this year but reading this, I think what am I waiting for? Baking for one [two] is never off the table! I expect you enjoyed your feast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! Pipistrello. That pumpkin pie was divine. I will last me another week. I had forgotten how much better homemade pumpkin pie is. It was easy to assemble, too. Go for it!

      Delete
  9. Gosh that sounds delicious, Stephenie. How do you make your pastry? I am hankering after some old fashioned food. I don't do so well on the raw food and vegan thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love old fashioned food, too, ratnamurti. Especially in the winter. I followed a Betty Crocker single crust pastry recipe, but used butter instead of shortening.

    ReplyDelete