Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Shopping at Cost Plus World Market Felt Like a Trip to Europe!

 Today I was researching prices for a Mamamango, an Italian moscato that I adore.  Cost Plus World Market came up on the search, and it showed an excellent price.  I decided to drive over there and see what they had.  I hadn't visited the store in nearly twenty years.  The last time I went I was with my parents.  I got my first loveseat for the cottage there.  It was so soft and comfortable.   

Boy was I in for a treat!  They had all kinds of Christmas goodies on display.  I bought a tin of award winning Swedish gingersnap cookies.  They are called Peppar Kakor.  They definitely deserve that award!  I had a few earlier this evening, (well, actually I had more than a few, but they are small wafers...)and they are addictive.   

I browsed through all of the gourmet foods; it brought back so many memories of when I was living in Europe as a professional dancer.   I splurged on a bag of Lavazza espresso, a bottle Torani vanilla syrup, and  several bottles of moscato in different flavors: mango, cranberry, and cherry.  The prices were better than I found at Target.  I really am turning into my mother.  I never thought I'd be one of those women with a shopping cart full of wine.  I also was given 15% off for joining their membership club, which was my excuse.

I plan to return and buy my Christmas gifts there.  It was so much fun to read the labels from all of the different countries where my friends and I toured together.  They had German cider and Christmas glog.  I got such a kick out of reading all of the festive labels.  One lady was trying to find something for a woman who she described as "a real snob."  I chuckled.    

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.      

     

20 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun place to shop! I laughed at the idea of turning into your mother with trolley full of wine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never imagined that would be me, emw. But it will last a long, long time. We may be in for another lockdown. It feels good to be prepared.

      Delete
  2. That shop sounds like my idea of heaven. We have some gorgeous deli's not too far from where we live and it's lovely to browse the shelves of exotic sounding food and drink. If we had one within walking distance I think I would be their best customer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would love it, Cherie. This one is about ten to fifteen miles from my home, so I don't think I'll be going there that often...it was a real treat, though. They entice you to return with emails offering 15% off. That makes a big difference.

      Delete
  3. What a fantastic experience. It sounds a lovely place.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very festive, Joy. Easy to social distance, too.

      Delete
  4. They really do have some wonderful stuff, don't they? I remember spending some time browsing among the shelves of the store at the Burbank mall, last year, when my daughter and I were shopping for holiday gifts. Glad you found so many good things and deals. Wonder if that lady found something suitable for the "real snob"! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do, Bless. That woman was in the wine section. You know how some people can be about wine... I have to admit, I do love the treats that I've bought imported from Italy. The Italians are such artists. They excel in food, drinks, and clothing. What a place...

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a lovely trip both around the store and down memory lane. I love to buy a few treats that originate from Europe over the festive period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, mm. It makes me feel nostalgic for my trip there last year. What an incredible journey it was!

      Delete
  6. I love to browse in our World Market. I actually went over there on Tuesday morning, but the store does not open until 11am now and it was 10:30. I have a few things I like to buy there including those same ginger snap cookies! Steve loves crisp ginger snaps. The wine selection is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny, Anita. I LOVE those cookies. They are incredibly delicious. Yes, the wine section is amazing. I really appreciated the discount, too.

      Delete
  7. It sounds like a really interesting store. It's good to know shops like that are surviving in the current situation. 9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fantastic place, Frugal. I decided to do some early shopping, in case our restrictions increase. It was good timing. It wasn't very crowded, and they had plenty of everything in stock.

      Delete
  8. It sounds like a delicious place to shop, Stephanie! I like to buy gifts from little local shops and makers whenever I can so that my $ support their small businesses. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Meg. This place is pretty big, but they have an exceptional selection of items. It was such a treat to go there!

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a fun adventure! I wish I had someplace neat like that to shop at! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was, Andrea. I would like to go back. There is so much more to see...

      Delete
  10. So fantastic when one actually finds a store that they love!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is, ratnamurti. My friend and I used to shop there as kids. We called it Cost Plus in those days.

      Delete