Wednesday, November 11, 2020

The 2002 VW Beetle Passed the Smog Test


Today I took my red VW Beetle in to be smogged.  I was a little nervous that it might not pass, since it is eighteen years old, but it did.  Phew!  I used the coupon that the company had sent me, which saved me $25.00.  The discount was excellent.  I think they mail them to repeat customers.  

I waited outside while they were doing the testing, so that I could social distance.  There were a few people in the office watching television and talking politics, which is the last thing that I want to do.  The men that work there were very nice.  I had called them before I left, so they let me pull into the garage before the other cars.  In the old days you made an appointment.  I guess people don't do that anymore.  I still like to check and see if they have time to work on my car, in case they're busy. 

They entered all of the information into the computer for me, and it was sent directly to the DMV.  I wrote out a check for $147.00, put a colorful stamp on it with a German Shepherd design, and mailed it at the post office.  No one was working there.  It was eerie.  The mail boxes still listed a 4:30 p.m. pickup time, though.

I arrived home and prepared a beef stew.  I dipped the small pieces of meat into flour, seasoned them with salt and pepper, and browned them in olive oil.  I used the cast iron pan that my mom and I used to cook with when I was a little girl.  Life is strange after your parents die.  After chopping up the onion, shallots, garlic, carrots, celery and potatoes, I let them simmer together in my Le Creuset pot.  I added some parsley, oregano, rosemary, and sage from the garden.  

It was a hearty and delicious meal.  I had two helpings.  My friend Vicky told me last week, "I am my own husband."  I got a kick out of that line.  She learned it from her mother, after her father died.  When you live on your own, you need to still be disciplined with cooking, cleaning, and finances.  What are you cooking these days?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.      



   

24 comments:

  1. I would like to make beef stew, yours sounds so delicious as our weather turns cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you make a pot, Terra. It is so tasty and comforting on a cold day. I am thinking of baking a loaf of bread, too.

      Delete
  2. Great quote! 😁. Isn’t it just weird to try and take care of normal tasks right now? I just stand outside often also. It’s just easier and like you I have no desire to hear or discuss politics.
    Good it’s taken care and passed for another year 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so, too, LL. I am relieved that the car is registered and smogged. It is weird to stay up on all the errands right now. Life has really changed.

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear that your car passed the smog test! Always a relief, isn't it?

    Well, today is a federal holiday, it being Veterans' Day; perhaps that's why there was no one working at the post office.

    Your beef stew sounds delicious! Today, I cooked milk rice in the morning (had it with fish curry) and baked potatoes in the evening. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're right! I forgot that it was Veteran's Day, Bless. I have been making baked potatoes in my toaster oven. Cold weather cooking is fun. Your meal sounds delicious.

      Delete
  4. I had to say "adieu" to my beloved yellow beetle, aged 20 years. (sob) As I needed to be able to put a baby car seat in my back seat - just so impossible with my VW. But she went to a lovely young lady. I am totally untogether at the moment with cooking and such. So busy. I am just too tired to sort it out - need to address this as it's important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yellow ones are so cute, ratnamurti. I hope you can get another one someday. They are so well made, I think. I think most of us feel more tired at this time of year.

      Delete
  5. Is the smog test what we call emissions? That is how non-polluting the exhaust emissions are? That's always part of our annual MOT that all cars over three years old have to have. If the car fails this, it can't be driven until it is dealt with.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy, Yes, the car passed the emissions test. I am relieved. It's a fabulous little car; I love it.

      Delete
  6. Wow! eighteen year's old! That is a really well built and maintained car. My care is 12 years old and I was thinking I might be lucky to get another year out of it. Maybe it could last longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too, judee. It was my mom's car, and the mileage is low. I hope to keep it for another ten years or more, if possible. I do a lot of walking in Wrightwood. It's great in the snow, too.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful car! Such good shape and great it passed. cute dogs too!
    Yes beef stew is so good! And healthy! Thanks for the tip because I forgot about dipping in flour. That way I don't have to thicken at the end. Your snowy photo on the last post was so fresh and beautiful. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. The snow is really pretty and clean. Dipping the meat in flour does make a big difference. I also sauteed the shallots in olive oil. They are so flavorful.

      Delete
  8. Glad everything went well with your amazing car. I have just made leek and sweet potato soup and cheese and mustard scones. I love a beef stew, so tasty and warming at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yum! That sounds divine, mm. I love potato and leek soup. I have never tried it with sweet potatoes. Your scones sound delicious, too.

      Delete
  9. Tony and I both love VW's. Tony has a little yellow die cast model one on his dashboard.
    It's becoming 'bone warming food' season. Good old fashioned casseroles and lovely tasty curries. Today was spag bol and last night it was chilli and rice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are two of my favorites, Cherie. It sounds like you are cooking up a storm!

      Delete
  10. Good news on the car! I love a good beef stew too, but cast iron pots are too heavy for me these days. It is true that our memories are often triggered by commonplace objects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom and grandma felt the same way, emw. I have some lighter pots in the cupboard in case these get too heavy.

      Delete
  11. I do the same cooking technique with my beef for stew as well. It adds much more flavor. I pop everything into the slow cooker and just let it do its thing for several hours. It is now officially soup time here. Black bean soup, cassoulet, lentil, vegetable all go in the rotation. What a relief to finish with the DMV for another year. It is so nice that the smog results go directly to the DMV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your different soups sound just delicious, Anita. I love cream of broccoli or cauliflower soup, as well. I want to make a batch of Mexican rice soon, too. Yes, I agree about the smog test results.

      Delete
  12. Your beef stew sounds delicious.

    You are so right. When you live on your own, there are so many things to do, and one has to be very disciplined so everything runs smoothly.

    ReplyDelete