Thursday, February 18, 2021

Busy At Home All Day

 


Yesterday I washed the sheets, hung them out to dry in the sunshine, and finished trimming my locust tree.  The green waste bins had been full from my first session of cutting back the branches, so I let the trash company take them away with the green waste, and then refilled them to the brim yesterday.  It saves to much money on tree trimming to do it yourself.  The huge oaks and  pines I have done professionally, but I can keep the fruit trees and smaller conifers in shape with my own tools.

I caught up on the phone with one of my dance pals in New York.  She said that a friend of hers in Manhattan is bundled up in five layers of clothing, because she has no heat.  I heard from another performer I worked with in Vegas who now lives in Texas that it is zero degrees there.  Many of the residents are without water, power, or heat.  It really makes me feel concerned for them.  It's so important to have an emergency plan and supplies in place in case a disaster strikes.  This situation in Texas has got me taking inventory.  I think that warm, wool clothing and blankets make all of the difference.  Even the gas lines there are frozen! 

I plan to purchase more firewood, water containers, and turkey jerky.  It also helps to have somewhere to go.  Unfortunately, many of the people affected don't have chains for their car, and the icy roads are treacherous.  I am so thankful for all of my hand knits that I've made over the last several years, for many warm blankets and comforters that the seller left for me, and for my propane bbq and expansive brick fireplace.  

How are you faring in this weather?  Are you warm enough?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.


20 comments:

  1. Love your socks. Hanging sheets in the sunshine! We have snow on the ground and its snowing big fluffy flakes. We try to be ready for power outages also - have wool blanket too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound well stocked, LL. I am going to add to my supplies today.

      Delete
  2. Your socks are really cute! And is that the cowl you were knitting in the background? Yes, emergency preparedness is so important, isn't it? I have water and food, but, I like your idea to have jerky on hand! I have a grill and a bag of charcoal briquettes for it, but, I should probably get a few more bags. I also have a small bundle of firewood, but, maybe it's time to think of getting more! Thanks for bringing this up, Stephenie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bless. No, that's an alpaca throw that I know for my mom. Now that she's gone, I use it. I think extra firewood is an excellent idea. I am considering getting an insert for my fire place. It makes it like a wood stove, and that would heat up the entire cabin.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had a very productive day, Stephenie.
    We are supposed to have a cooler weekend, but right now it’s very comfortable.

    Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil. Being productive is so satisfying. Glad to hear that you are warm and comfortable.

      Delete
  4. it's always good to be prepared; we have what we call camp stoves here, it's just a single burner & uses propane, great in an emergency (i have a gas stove top too) wood stoves are always a treat, hopefully the wood is not too expensive
    my power bill has been on the rise lately but i think it's from using more appliances than i usually do.
    sad that so many people are getting caught out over there, hope they stay safe & warm.
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen those, Selina. I have a propane bbq on myb deck. I agree, wood stoves are fantastic!

      Delete
  5. Lovely socks! As I am lucky enough to live in the perfect climate, we are fairing very well here. Such a horrible impact of the storm for most of the US. I love wearing my knits this time of year. It is always surprising to me how warm the light weight alpaca and silk can keep you. You sound busy as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anita. Yes, the news of the recent storms has been shocking. I always feel like the same thing could happen to us. The weather has been unpredictable. I've read that alpaca is even warmer than cashmere.

      Delete
  6. There is something magical about outdoor dried bedlinen. We need to buy new snow chains, the ones we have don't fit our new car. Thanks for the reminder. I think we are woefully unprepared for any emergencies. It is not a comfortable thought, and something we need to address.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to get a set for my dad's car, too, Christina. Restocking and planning for the unexpected really can ease the mind and spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We don't get a lot of snow in the uk. But we had a weeks worth recently. Thanks to lockdown I'm used to not going out and there was enough food to keep us happy. It must be miserable if you have no heating or water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Frugal. Some people recommend sleeping in a tent indoors. With blankets on top and inside of it, it seems to insulate people against the cold.

      Delete
  9. So glad you are safe, so many are really in a bad way. We have to prepare for hurricanes, not so fun but a necessity. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think each location has its own challenges, Mereknits. Some of the news stories about people suffering from the cold are so sad.

      Delete
  10. The weather in Texas looks truly shocking. I feel so sorry for people with no heat or water supply. It must be really miserable for them. I feel so lucky to be indoors with the heating on and means to make a hot meal right now. Its raining here and very cold but is nothing compared to parts of the US. I keep a fleece throw beside my chair and pull it over me if I feel cold. Praying that the services in Texas will be working again very soon. Stay well Stephenie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, PP. Sometimes I feel like I really take the comforts of home for granted. A hot meal is so comforting during the cold months. I have fleece pajamas and a fleece bathrobe. They are so insulating!

      Delete
  11. The smell of line dried sheets has to rank amongst my favourite smells. I too have fleece jimjams and absolutely love them. They are so warm and cosy. Do you get long winters over there or are you seeing signs of spring yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can still have a frost on Easter here, or even in May in the mountains. I still have some geraniums in bloom at the cottage.

      Delete