Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Happily Knitting Again

 


Today I picked up the Carbeth Peruvian wool sweater that I've been working on, and got started on the first sleeve.  I reviewed the pattern, dug out my size 8 dpn's, cast on, and got to work.  It has been so long since I've knit with double pointed needles.  I remembered that I needed the green pair from Knitters Pride.  The technique came back quickly.  At first I forgot that I couldn't just knit the sleeve with my circulars.  I guess I could on Magic Loop, but I don't like Magic Loop.  I don't remember it, either.  It feels so satisfying to be back in the swing of knitting again.  I feel like it's a huge part of my personality, soul,  a artistic life.  That segment of creativity had been missing for a while.  

My gypsy tribe and I had another Zoomunion on Sunday.  It was amazing to see all of my old dancing friends from Europe.  I love catching up with them and hearing their news.  Everyone is still so attractive and vibrant.  A few of the cast members have been dealing with surgeries and health issues.  It made me aware of how fragile life is.  I sent a couple of cards and checks out yesterday, and have been saying extra prayers.  My evening yoga practice, kirtan, and meditation are part of my routine again, and it makes all the difference. 

An ample  supply of firewood has been ordered, and and I am enjoying the large brick fireplace again.  I purchased a few small bundles of wood at our local grocery store to burn in the meantime.  The weather has been sunny and a bit warmer this week.  Lula and I have been taking scenic mountain walks together.  I love how the daylight is lengthening.  Summers up here are always so incredible.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

20 comments:

  1. Oh, I’m glad you’re knitting again too. You do such beautiful work 💕. And hiking and yoga - good for you! (I mean that sincerely not sarcastically). Doing the things that keep our souls healthy is most important. 🧶

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, LL, so do you. Yes, being in nature and making time for yoga makes such a difference in how one feels. We can always adjust our routine.

      Delete
  2. Glad to see that you are knitting again. I prefer knitting on dpn than circular! Sounds like you and Lula are enjoying your days, up there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure are, Bless. The weather has been gorgeous! Double pointed needles are like knitting on straight needles. I like them, too.

      Delete
  3. I find knitting a soothing and creative way to spend time. Glad you have been able to organize a delivery of wood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, having a fire in the fireplace is so soothing, mm. I had forgotten how much I love to knit. It's exciting to make warm clothing and gifts.

      Delete
  4. glad you're knitting again, gorgeous hat in the photo, left over sock wool?
    you'll have to post a pic of your carbeth cardi again as i don't remember it either
    it's been too hot to knit here for the past week, with temperatures up in the high 40s (Celsius) we had a good storm 2 days ago, that seemed to break it a bit, can't wait for the cooler weather so i can sit & knit too, dying to get into a new jumper pattern.
    it's good you are able to get firewood locally, wish i had a wood fire.
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is, selina. It's called the Scraptastic Hat. It's a fee pattern on Ravelry. I had wanted a fireplace for ages, too. It is one of my favorite parts of living up in the mountains.

      Delete
  5. Glad to hear you are knitting again, Stephenie, the hat looks beautiful. Maybe you will soon be selling your beautiful hand knits again. Enjoy the fire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. This is one I sold one on Etsy. I also made one for my mom. We wear hats so much up here! It makes such a difference to keep your head warm.

      Delete
  6. Your hat is beautiful. And I bet it gets good use in the mountains. I like using DPNs and have never mastered magic loop. I did purchase a 16inch circular needle for the last sweater I knit and found it not to be as difficult to use as I thought it would be. I love the smell of a wood fire-reminds me of my Grandparents house in Bishop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love circular needles, Anita. I just prefer dpn's for sleeves and finishing off hats.

      Delete
  7. Your hat is lovely and I bet it is very handy in the mountains. I enjoy using DPNs and have never mastered the magic loop technique. Old dog and new tricks I'm afraid. I love the smell of wood fireplaces. So very cozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I used leftover sock yarn to make it. Yes, the smell of wood in the fireplace is divine. I love the pops and crackles, as well.

      Delete
  8. That's a pretty hat Stephenie. I haven't picked up any knitting in a while and now that the gardening season is just around the corner I don't think I will be knitting any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's true. I am excited to start planting again. The citrus harvest this year has been amazing.

      Delete
  9. Your life sounds like magic moments in time. Despite covid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, ratnamurti. I feel very fortunate. All of the little things make such a difference.

      Delete
  10. I love your hat, good luck with your sweater. I have just returned to knitting after about 2 years off and I am in love all over again. Enjoy and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Mereknits. It's so therapeutic, especially during these times.

    ReplyDelete