Monday, February 8, 2021

Got Lots of Darning Done Today

 


This afternoon I found some matching sock yarn and darned a pair of gloves that I had knit on dpn's  seven years ago. I also stitched up a hole and a run in my mom's convertible fingerless glove/mittens that I inherited.  I can't tell you how good it feels to have those tasks done!  I haden't worn either pair all winter, and had even guiltily  bought two new pair of gloves to replace them.  Nothing beats hand knits, though. (especially when you have made them yourself.)  I love the warmth ad coziness of wool.  Plus, the fit is perfect, because they are custom made for my long fingers.  I even found my pink darning egg, which I had misplaced in a project bag, rather than leaving it in my knitting bag.  It's an antique, and it makes all the difference when mending socks and gloves.  Phew!

I finally picked up my Carbeth sweater that I want to finish, and have  gotten attached to it again.  I hadn't been in the mood to craft at all for months.  I started with a simple crocheted dishcloth, and that got me back in the rhythm and swing of knitting and crocheting.  The sweater is made of 100% Peruvian wool, and it feels divine!

How are you doing?  Are you making anything special these days?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.


20 comments:

  1. Glad you are knitting again šŸ˜Š. It’s therapeutic and productive. If you are out of things to darn, I will lend you my basket šŸ˜‚. Happy Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, LL. I have plenty of items that need mending, darning, and reinforcing, thanks. The hems on a couple of my silk/wool handknit sweaters are starting to fray. I will fix those today.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you were able to darn your gloves, Stephenie and have picked up your knitting, again. But, oh, I am drooling over that pie you have shown! LOL. I am currently crocheting together some granny squares that I had made over the years (with scrap yarn), to make a blanket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That blanket sounds like a soothing project, Bless. That's an apple cranberry cobbler in the photo. My mom gave me the recipe.

      Delete
  3. I'm knitting hexagons to make a 'blanket'. Really, it is just to use up some of the ridiculous amount of yarn I have in my cupboard and it's proving to be very satisfying indeed. When that's finished, I don't know - maybe I'll look for some sort of kit.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels good to use up yarn, doesn't it, Joy? I may make some socks using all of my leftover sock yarn. I need some of it for darning, though.

      Delete
  4. I have a favourite antique darning egg that I treasure. At the moment I have a little pile of items that needs buttons replacing that I keep putting off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tightening the buttons on my flannel shirt this afternoon, mm. There is always more work to be done. It's so satisfying to get the favorite clothes mended and ready to wear again.

      Delete
  5. I'm knitting fingerless mittens at the moment Stephenie. Small tasks suit me better right now. I had an intimate hospital procedure yesterday and am feeling a bit sorry for myself šŸ¤« its snowing right now so I think I'll stay put and try to finish off a pair today. Stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you recover quickly, PP. Fingerless mitts are a quick, satisfying project. I rarely wear mine, though. I always use my gloves with fingers. It's cold here in the mornings. I love the pair I knit with alpaca/wool yarn with some nylon. It's called Alpacasox.

      Delete
  6. I am working on the Classic sweater. So far I love it and have not made a single mistake. What a wonderful pie picture. I am going to use some leftover roast beef to make a beef pie for dinner tonight. A new recipe so wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic, Anita! I had forgotten how rewarding it is to knit a sweater during the cold weather. I love the feel of the pile of wool in my lap. Hope the beef pie turns out well. I'm sure it will.

      Delete
  7. It's just the weather for pie and cobbler isn't it. I have been paper piece quilting lately but spotted my sock yarn stash yesterday. I feel another pair of socks coming on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must feel good to have finished those darning tasks. It's funny how we put off doing these things which turn out not to take as long as we expected.
    I haven't done any crafting in ages. I hardly have any free time just now. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Jules. I love how grounded I feel after fixing things.

      Delete
  9. I haven’t crocheted for a while now. I’d like to start a new project but other things keep me busy.

    Last week it was cold here, and I wore the socks you made. šŸ˜Š

    Hope you have a relaxing week, Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you always sound very busy, Nil. I'm so happy to hear that you are wearing those purple socks! I wear my hand knit socks every day. They are so warm and comfortable. They really make a difference in the snow and cold weather.

      Delete
  10. Glad you got those tasks done, it feels so good to mark things off your list. I am hoping for a little yarn time this weekend. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so pleasurable, Mereknits. I made a simple cowl ove the past few days, and really enjoyed handling the hand spun alpaca yarn.

      Delete