Monday, February 22, 2021

Driving Your Car in the Cold Weather to Prevent a Dead Battery

 Last week my Nissan wouldn't start.  I called the Auto Club, and they sent out a technician to start it for me.  He was such a sweet and sensitive man.  He explained that it's very common in the cold, snowy  weather  for people to get in their vehicles and to find out that they have a dead battery.  The last time this happened to me was during the first Stay At Home Order last year.  I had to leave the car for a few weeks, since I was at the cottage, and ended up replacing the original battery.  

Anyway, this time the car started right up.  He told me that I need to drive it every day, because the hybrid cars have so much electricity.  In the warmer weather, he said it only needs to be driven once a week.  He said that even just heading into town will do it.

I normally walk everywhere, and try to save gas and be conscious of the environment.  But, I will follow his advice until we are well into Spring.  I'm thankful that my battery is working fine now that it wasn't the alternator.  No more letting the car sit out in the snow. for several days in a row.

How's your car running? 

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

14 comments:

  1. I did not know that about hybrid cars. I would no way want to have to drive my car every day in cold weather. With me being retired and this pandemic, I drive my car once a week, usually along the ocean, which is two blocks from my house, just to keep the battery, etc. ok, plus it is nice to have a change of scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know it, either. The guy from Auto Club told me that several of my neighbors had dead batteries, too. Your drive along the ocean sounds magical, Terra.

      Delete
  2. I assumed the same thing during the first lockdown when I needed to have my battery started twice. As it happened, it was actually a faulty battery, so I needed to have it replaced.
    I use my car most days for work. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, It's always a good feeling to have a battery replaced. I'm sure your daily commute keeps it charged.

      Delete
  3. It's been fine but, of course, we haven't had the cold that you have had. I guess I take my car out a couple of times each week (more now it's allotment time again) but it's short journeys only, so now and again I drive a little further just to keep the battery good.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exciting that you're going to the allotment again, Joy. The snow and cold here requires its own set of chores.

      Delete
  4. Glad you were able to get the car started with a little help! I've had my share of dead batteries due to not driving! These days, I try to at least start the car and let the engine run for a bit every 3 or 4 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, That happened to my mom, too. It sounds like your schedule is working well for you.

      Delete
  5. Finding your car does not start is one of the most frustrating things on earth. I just replaced my battery about a month ago, but luckily my car sent me all types of alarming and dire warnings about an energy drain before it died completely. I try to drive my car at least once every week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once the weather shifts, I'll be able to drive mine once a week, too, Anita. I'm glad you didn't get stuck with a dead battery somewhere.

      Delete
  6. I just love to visit your blog and take a minute to enjoy the pink and red hollyhocks against the pink stucco of your home, and see the green leaves. Thank you for that header picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. I appreciate you commenting and visiting my blog. Hollyhocks are so stunning and old fashioned.

      Delete
  7. Both Tony and Alexander have had the same thing in this past year. I bet a lot more than us have suffered the same shock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hear it's pretty common, Cherie. I was relieved that mine recharged itself without needing any help or extra expense.

      Delete