Sunday, February 28, 2021

Getting Your Property Surveyed

 Last week I hired a professional to come and survey my land.  I had a general idea of where the property lines were, but I wanted someone who was meticulous to measure everything exactly.  His co-worker hammered the stakes in the ground for me, so I could get a clear picture of the four corners.  The map shows the easement with the  Dept. of Water and Power,  the zoning and restrictions.  They painted spots on the ground around the stakes, as well.  I own much more land than I was told.  I had a feeling that was the case, which is why I had it done.  

A couple of my neighbors had relayed stories to me about how when they had their places surveyed, they discovered that the people next door to them had encroached on their land.  Unfortunately, this is all too common.  Surveys are expensive, and many homeowners skip over them.

I was very pleased with the results of mine.  I had the paperwork filed with the county, for future reference.  I took photographs of the stakes, and made careful notes about their location.  The man I hired told me that there is an $800.00 fine if someone removes the stake, and that it costs $250.00 for him to come back and replace it.  Owning property is serious business!

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 



14 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was another important job done, Stephenie. Will you be putting up fencing or something around your property?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bless, Yes, I will. That's the next step.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's another important job ticked off your list. You are certainly getting everything organised and it's a sensible thing to do while you are still fit and strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie. Yes, it's important to have things prepared and organized for retirement.

      Delete
  4. I got a survey done when I bought the house. I too learned I have more land, but a part is used by the county to access the lake, so I can’t fence it in completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine has an easement, too, Nil. At least the boundaries are clearly marked now.

      Delete
  5. Good for you getting it done, Stephanie. Expensive but necessary and it's good to have it all set out clearly. As yopu say, a serious busioness and a great responsibility too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true, Joy. It's important to have it on paper and recorded through the county.

      Delete
  6. Another great job done, it certainly is expensive and a great responsibility owning property.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, mm. But, it is worth it to me. Land in California is very valuable.

      Delete
  7. It is good to know the boundaries of your land, and to have this registered. Land disputes are sadly all too common. We have very little land, just the back and front garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Christina. I was shocked to hear some of the stories that my neighbors told me.

      Delete
  8. You are very smart for formally documenting your property lines. I am interested in learning what type of fencing you select. Since we live in a suburban area our property lines are very obvious-a small metal medallion embedded in the sidewalk marks the line.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Anita. It feels very important. That sounds like an ideal marker. I may use live fencing. Holly, blackberries, raspberries, gooseberries, etc...

    ReplyDelete