Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Stacking Firewood

 


I have been stacking firewood for the past couple of days.  We are expecting more snow.  The chains are strapped onto my car's tires, a fire is crackling in the fireplace, and Lula is fast asleep on the couch.  

Which do you prefer, gas heat or a roaring fire?  I'm finding that I enjoy a combination the two.  Quality firewood and delivery are getting very expensive.  I can keep my heater set at 55 degrees, and just warm up the room that I'm using.  It costs much less for me to heat the cabin with gas.  I do love the look and feel of a  fire, though.  I also like to have a stockpile of wood in case of an emergency or freezing situation like they recently experienced in Texas.

Wearing layers of clothing, using the wool and alpaca throws, and closing off the rooms in use makes a huge difference.  It's at times like these that I'm happy that I have a smaller home.  My parents owned a large house that was gorgeous, yet drafty and cold.  My mother would turn on the furnace, and my father would shut it off. My mom bought an Irish fisherman's sweater for my grandmother to wear when she  came to visit from Los Angeles.  It made all the difference. 

Last Friday I had the chimney swept and fireplace cleaned.  They also replaced some of my motion sensor lights for me, and blew the pine needles off of the roof with their blower.  It's such a relief to have those tasks done.  I was surprised at how dirty and clogged up the grates had become.  

Are you warm enough?  What kind of heating do you use? 

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.


16 comments:

  1. Your socks look nice and cozy and that's a beautiful blanket or shawl under them. I do like the sound of a roaring fire in the fireplace, but, I rely on gas for heating. However, I like the idea of having a supply of firewood on hand for an emergency!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave those to my vocal coach, Bless. Thank you. It's a good feeling to have the firewood as a backup heat source.

      Delete
  2. I don't mind the cold weather as I can wrap up warm, and having a small home it is fairly easy to keep it heated. It's damp weather which affects me the most.
    Stay cosy. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean, Jules. When I lived in Northern California, the rainy, cold days were intense.

      Delete
  3. I've been buying bagged briquettes that are especially for multi fuel stoves. They do work out quite expensive though. I'll be glad if we can have some free wood this year. I have my gas boiler set to a low temperature and if the house drops below 17 degrees the heating kicks in. Anything warmer than that is too warm for us and once the house is warm I but extra layers on and switch of the heating. Sometimes it's actually warmer outside my house in winter than it is indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the same here, Cherie. (especially in the morning.) Lula and I are looking forward to getting out in the sunshine today.

      Delete
  4. We have an oil central heating system that also heats the water. We have a multi fuel stove that we can use peat/wood/coal which heats the main living area. I live to sit and watch the flames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gazing at a crackling fire is mesmerizing, isn't it? Your heating system sounds excellent, mm.

      Delete
  5. If I had the choice, I'd have both. The central heating for efficiency and heat and the fire for company.
    I don't like cold so I probably keep the heating on more than I should. :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way, Joy. I like having the electric blanket to heat up my bed before crawling under the covers at night.

      Delete
  6. Our fireplace is run on natural gas. It is easy to turn on using a key and a long match. When we first moved in here we had some gas fireplace logs installed so the flames look pretty much like a wood burning fireplace. I haven't turned on our gas furnace in over 25 years. I doubt it even works now. We get a lot of use out of the many afghans I have knit over the years. Having the chimney cleaned and inspected annually is very important if you use your fireplace as much as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Your gas bill must be really low, Anita. I use my gas heater regularly during the cold weather. Those afghans are saving you money!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything is electric at my place. No gas, no fireplace. 😊

    You always take good care of your home, Stephenie. That’s wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Nil. My mom was that way. I remember when your power went out and you lost a lot of your food that was in your freezer. I am freezing blocks of ice in milk cartons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It has taken me many years to have a home which does not get mould - a real problem where I live as it's in the foothills of a range of mountains - not snowy ones, just bush ones. And this area is the rainbelt of Auckland. But finally, a bome where a small oil heater suffices in winter, and a desk fan for summer. Sometimes I just can't believe my good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's interesting, ratnamurti. It's much dryer where I live. I love the fresh mountain air. You sound like you have an ideal set up.

    ReplyDelete