Friday, March 12, 2021

Focusing on What You Want to Create

 I have decided to take a break from absorbing so much news; it depresses me.  The headlines now seem more like gossip  than what I'd consider news stories.  They remind me of The National Enquirer.  I do want to know what's going on in the world. However, a constant diet of dysfunction, conflict, and battles is not good for the soul.

I think if we prioritize what is important to us, and put our focus there, we become happier and more balanced.  I know that when I was a young dancer, taking class put me on an emotional high for the rest of the day.  It was so exciting to learn all of those new combinations, and to push the body to its limits.  Eating well, getting plenty of sleep, keeping the house clean and organized, and exercising regularly are areas that really help me.  

I have even started limiting what I  watch, as far as movies.  If there's disturbing violence on the screen, I just shut it off.  So many of the documentaries now are about abuse. They used to be about art and talent.   Those disturbing images can really play into your psyche.  My mother didn't allow me to watch soap operas when I was young.  When I asked her why, she answered, "Because I don't want you watching other people's problems.  Go outside and play."  I see now how wise she was.  My closest friend had all the characters memorized: Luke and Laura, and all of their drama, history, and pain.  She had never dated a boy, yet was living through them.  I could see that my mother didn't approve.  It's addictive, and creates a fixation that has nothing to do with you or your destiny.  People did the same thing when Trump was in office.  We have to live our own lives.

Physical activities like shoveling snow, walking the dog, hiking, or riding the bike are much better options than fixating on other people's unhappy family situations.  For me it's always been better to detach from those who I find negative, draining, or difficult.  

What about you?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

16 comments:

  1. It's good to focus on what is important to us and to be aware of how what we listen to and watch impact us. I do like to watch news and documentaries. My mother loved her soap operas, but, I could never get into them or sit-coms, etc. Maybe news is my equivalent to a soap opera! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love documentaries, too, Bless. I think you're right about the news.

      Delete
  2. The news over here is the same. Full of miserable depressing things. Even Tony has taken to turning the TV off and he is the most square eyed person I know. We are spending our evenings doing jigsaws together but as soon as the evenings are warmer we will sit out in the garden until darkness falls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your evenings with Tony sound quiet and peaceful, Bless. Sitting out in nature is so relaxing.

      Delete
  3. I so agree with you. I am trying to limit some news, only listening by podcast while driving, no violence on any show I watch, my brain can't handle it. Plus I don't understand why anyone would want to see anything like that. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drugs and violence are so linked, Mereknits. You are wise to have a strong filter on what you watch.

      Delete
  4. I agree about all the negativity and just plain nastiness in the world today. I simply cannot have it in my life. I never have had the TV watching habit, so I haven't been exposed to much of current entertainment. We usually watch one of the older movies we have collected over the years prior to bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents used to do the same thing. Anita. You are wise to skip the negativity that's so rampant in the media right now.

      Delete
  5. I am very much like you, Stephenie. I now try to limit any news, I refuse to watch intense dramas and rarely sit through films. Any shows I do watch have to be uplifting and informative (in a positive way). X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Jules. Inspirational films inspire me, too.

      Delete
  6. I rarely turn on my TV. I like reading news so I can avoid violence, gossip and drama. 😊 sometimes I watch PBS NewsHour , documentaries on sustainable living etc. on YouTube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love PBS. Your documentaries sound uplifting, too.

      Delete
  7. When I was young, I read a book about staying youthful. One of the recommendations was to NOT watch things like soap operas and instead to live your own life rather than trying to live through other people's (fake) lives - exactly what you've said. Since covid I have sort of kept abreast of international news. I got fed up with the ranters and ravers whom I knew who kept going on and on about conspiracies and such, and quietly removed myself from their orbit. Sometimes we do have to reassess our life for these sorts of things - fake lives, and silly gossip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's excellent advice, ratnamurti. Last night I watched a fascinating documentary set in the Himalayas. Their lifestyle is completely different from ours. It was beautifully done.

      Delete
  8. I feel the same, Stephenie, I watch a little news just to keep myself in the loop but never watch the soaps, they're too depressing. I like a good drama on TV but nothing with gratuitous violence. If we start to watch something which makes us feel uncomfortable we switch off or find something lighter. Your mum was a very wise woman x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, PP. There are so many positive and uplifting activities that we can choose to do.

    ReplyDelete