Thursday, March 11, 2021

Using Pine Needles To Start a Fire

 Recently when I was having my chimney swept, I talked to the man  about pine needles.  I had paid him extra to blow those that had collected off of my roof. "That's a good practice," he commented.  "I use them to start my fires; I don't even use newspaper," he added.

I decided to try the same thing in my own fireplace.  I had a large amount of dry pine needles stored in a plastic garbage can.  I used them under a handful under the kindling, and they worked beautifully.  They blazed right away.  

What do you use as fire starters?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

8 comments:

  1. That's great that you can use pine needles as fire starters. I've heard of people using pine cones, too. As for me, well, I don't light fires, so, don't really have a need for fire starters. :) I use the pine needles for mulch in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've used pine cones, too, Bless. Now I leave them for the wildlife, because I notice that they get gnawed on during the night. I mulch my pine trees with some of the needles, too.

      Delete
  2. I bet the smoke smelt nice. I used dried lavender stalks after I rub all the flowers off. I bet it smells lovely for a few minutes while they catch the kindling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, That's a great way to use your dried lavender stalks. I never thought of that...

      Delete
  3. Just gas central heating around here. I'd love a fire and am very envious (in a nice sort of way). :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had gas for over twenty years, too, Joy. Always dreamed of a large, brick fireplace, and now I have one.

      Delete
  4. I have never thought of pine needles as a fire starter. I will have to ask my sons if they ever used them back in their Boy Scout camping days. Our fire starter is turning a key which turns on the gas in the fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds easy, Anita. Mine has a gas light, but I turn it off once the wood is burning on its own. Just love sitting by the fire...

      Delete