Friday, March 5, 2021

A Visit to the Emergency Room

 Last month I drove myself to the emergency room to have my toe checked.  I had been shoveling snow, and somehow in the process, between numb toes, changing into dry wool socks, and thawing out by the fire, I ended up with a big toe that was black and blue and very swollen.  

I called Teledoc, and discussed my symptoms over the phone with a doctor.  I was concerned that it might be Covid toes.  It looked like the photos.  He said that it sounded like frostbite, but that I needed to go to the ER.

I was nervous to go to the hospital during this pandemic, but was pleasantly surprised.  They had three empty tents out in front of the main entrance.  I was the only one in the office.  A few employees helped me check in, and I was given a bed in the emergency room.

My doctor suggested that we take an x-ray.  It turns out, my toe was fractured.  They wrapped me my foot in an ace bandage, applied a splint, and let me go home.

Wearing a snow boot kept it immobilized, and it didn't hurt the way I expected.  I iced it, which really helped.  I didn't need to take anything for the pain.  They gave me a pair of crutches, but I found them cumbersome, so I just didn't put weight on it for a while.  

It has healed perfectly.  Soaking in the bath with epsom salts has really been soothing.  It makes the toe joint itch.  My mom always told me that the sensation of itching means that it's healing.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.


19 comments:

  1. I’m glad to hear your toe has healed now. Fractures can be very painful.

    It was so nice to see you at the meeting this afternoon, Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, I loved seeing you, too. You look so pretty. I was lucky that the pain with this one was mild. It was down by the joint, which helps, I think.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know Covid toes was such a thing. Now I will have to google it but I am glad that you didn't have it. Epsom salts are an amazing thing aren't they..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, epsom salts are incredible. They go right to the problem area and do their healing work. The photos of Covid toes are scary.

      Delete
  3. What a relief it wasn't 'serious'. I'm happy to hear it is healing well. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to read about your toe, glad that the visit to ER was a good experience and that you are healing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mm. I was very impressed with the ER. It was nothing like I was reading about in the newspapers, thank goodness!

      Delete
  5. Oh, no, what a thing to happen. It must have been quite a worry for a while although I've not heard of 'covid toes' before.
    Take care and take it easy.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy, Covid toes is something some of the long haulers are experiencing. It's freaky looking.

      Delete
  6. Oh, my, that must have been very scary! Glad it wasn't anything worse than a fracture! Do you know how it might have got fractured?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, I have an idea, but am not positive. The bones in the foot aren't protected by muscle. I think a large ball of ice that fell on my foot may have done it.

      Delete
  7. I am happy to read that your toe is on the mend. I remember that itchy feeling as my broken foot was healing many years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a strong sensation. Amazing how the body heals...

      Delete
  8. Didn't know that there was "covid toe".... Glad that your fracture is healing well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry your toes was broken! But glad you are doing well and got the care you needed. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mereknits. It healed beautifully. Hope you are doing well, too.

      Delete
  10. Oh golly, how frightening for you. Glad you got seen quickly and that all is now well. Take care x

    ReplyDelete