Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Early Morning Grocery Shopping


 This morning I got up at 5:30 a.m. and had my usual stick and a half of celery on an empty stomach. I flicked on the switch for  fresh coffee, and clicked on the old fashioned handles of a couple of the antique lamps.   I always  set up my automatic drip coffee machine at night before I go to sleep.  It's a vintage Mr. Coffee maker that still works beautifully.  (as long as I run hot vinegar water through it every now and then...) 

While  sitting on the soft couch and writing in my journal, I admired the view of the snow capped pines outside the window.  I crept upstairs and changed into some warm clothing to head out to the store.  We had fresh snow last night, so I knew I was safe to drive on the roads; I had purposely left  the chains on my tires.  I love to get out there when the streets are empty.  The sun was just starting to rise.  I relish the feeling of  daylight savings time.  My body  anticipates it.

I pulled on my black leggings, and a long black wool skirt that I bought while on tour twenty years ago, at Nordstrom Rack.  I shrugged into an an old cashmere sweater under the Icelandic wool sweater that I knit a couple of years ago.  I bought the  bulky yarn that I used for it  from Webs with a birthday gift card.

After climbing up the freshly shoveled path in my driveway, I brushed off the snowy powder from the windows of my VW Beetle.  I let the car warm up, and pulled on my mask.  I had my grocery list, purse, rod iron bar for protection, and mittens that belonged to my mom before she died.  

The tire chains crunched securely  in the ice as I slowly eased the car down our narrow mountain road.  Once I arrived at the store's parking lot,   I found an frosty space near the entrance.  You're not supposed to drive with chains on bare pavement.  It felt like I was the only customer in the store.  The checker was very friendly.  I stopped at my p.o. box to check my mail.  I pay most of my bills online now.  I like having less paper in my life.

When do you do your grocery shopping?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  

14 comments:

  1. I am very fortunate here in that the supermarket is never uncomfortably busy, so I don't feel I need time my visits carefully. I hope you managed to get everything you needed. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, I just do it because of Covid. That's wonderful that you don't have to avoid the crowds where you live.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful start to a day.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. That it was. It feels satisfying to be stocked up with the essentials.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed reading this post. You paint pictures with your words and I felt I was right there with you as you got ready to do your grocery shopping. :) Glad you had a safe drive to the store and back. I tend to do my grocery pick ups in the afternoons. Weekday afternoons, between 1:00 p.m. and 3:00 p.m. seem to be the best time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless. That's the idea. I like to drive at the time you do your grocery pick ups.

      Delete
  4. We have stopped using supermarkets and are buying our groceries at independent butchers and greengrocers. Although the meat and veg there is quite expensive we are saving a fortune as we aren't be tempted by any special offers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see what you mean, Bless. I sometimes order my meat in bulk, and pick up my produce from our local co-op every other week. I did buy some Australian licorice and a carton of ice cream at the grocery store.

      Delete
  5. Paperless does make life easier. I shop at all different times of the day but I do look at the carpark to see how busy it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love going paperless, Frugal. It's a great feeling. Less mess to clean up, too.

      Delete
  6. I prefer to do the bulk of my grocery shopping at our local Marine Base commissary. It is about 10 miles south of here. I like to go when it first opens at 9:30 and am typically out by 10 or 10:30. I can purchase just about everything we need there, even though it is typical to find no stock of some vital things. I just work around that or go to the local supermarket for those things. It is rarely crowded that time of the day and, being on a military base, no problem with unmasked shoppers or people crowding. There is even a dress code! I am slowly moving to paying bills on line as well. Stay safe and warm. I so enjoy reading about your life and adventures. Even the quiet ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen one of those commissaries, Anita. It sounds ideal. Having a stress free place to shop makes all the difference. Thank you for reading and for commenting. I appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  7. This sounds so idyllic, so peaceful. I always found that people who practiced old fashioned yoga, rather than the intense new styles of yoga, we valued peace. I shop at my local supermarket, it's not a super-store, and is quite adequate. But to be honest, I prefer smaller shops, like a green grocer, butcher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I never became comfortable with the newer styles of yoga, ratnamurti. I love the old classic techniques, though. They really calm and relax me. I love the tone yoga gives to the muscles and internal organs. You can see it through the skin.

      Delete