Saturday, March 20, 2021

A Lovely Day at the Beach

 This morning Lula and I drove out to Piru to pick up some beeswax candles, honey sunscreen, and rich, honey jasmine hand lotion.  It was a gorgeous drive along the 126.  I decided to keep driving west, and to check out the beach bike path in Ventura.  I had forgotten how beautiful that route is.  I love the section where it turns into the 101 North.  The ocean views are spectacular!  How lucky I am to live in LA.  The woman behind the counter gifted me a jar of honey from their farm.  I was so touched.  I had just run out of it at the cottage, and hers is top quality. 

We pulled in at one of the campsites, and I bought a day pass.  I had packed plenty of water, a few snacks, and some dog biscuits for Lula.  I felt excited and  thrilled with the beauty of the bike path and beach scenery.  The outline of the mountains looked so blue and vibrant  The last few times we've been to Santa Monica, I was distressed by the number of disturbed and homeless people.  The vibe in Ventura was totally different.  It felt like we were mixing with the locals, rather than tourists.  Everyone was relaxed and groovy.  There were lots of happy, well socialized dogs.

The surfers were impressive.  I sat on a bench and watched them.  Lula laid at my feet.  I filled her water bowl and munched on almonds and a banana.  Lula enthusiastically crunched on her dog biscuits.  I was surprised at how many of the men carrying surf boards had grey hair.  I always assumed that surfers were much younger.   They were so talented.  There's a parking lot for the surfer beach; it only costs $4.00.  I think we will park there next time.  I paid $10.00 at the place that I picked.  It felt safe, and I am happy to support tourism there.  I wore my mask while breezing down the bike path and enjoyed the ocean breeze.  Lula got a lot of smiles.  

Have you been to the beach recently?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely day, Stephenie. My daughter and I were, just today, talking about a visit to the beach before she goes back up to Berkeley. I haven't been to the beach in a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so healing, Bless. One of the main reasons I moved to LA was to frequent the beach. I hope you get to go with your daughter.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I am envious, Stephenie. Until the lockdown restrictions are relaxed here, I'm unable to get to the sea - it's just out of reach. I can't wait to walk along the shore as soon as I can travel father. Breathe in some fresh sea air. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jules. I was pleased that it wasn't crowded. Staying on the bike path with a mask was ideal. The parking lot was nearly empty.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you really enjoyed your day out to the beach as you are making plans to revisit. It sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, mm. I love the expansiveness of the ocean.

      Delete
  4. You have painted a lovely image in my mind Stephenie. It sounds idyllic and we all could do with something nice to think about at the moment. I think a trip to the beach might be on the cards next week if the weather is decent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have sunny weather, Cherie. I just posted a Youtube video of Ventura, (where we went,) up above. I can't wait to go back and explore.

      Delete
  5. Your trip sounds wonderful. No, we haven't visited a beach for a very long time, maybe a couple of years now. We live in central England so the beaches are some distance away in all directions. Glad you and Lula had a lovely day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sure did, PP. Thank you. Lula was konked out on the floor when we got home. I think the trip exhausted her, in a healthy way. We are only 30 miles from the ocean...very fortunate.

      Delete
  6. I have never been to the beach at Ventura. It sounds lovely-like the beaches down here. Both my sons surf. It sounds like you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did, Anita. Thanks. I was so impressed with Ventura. The bike path is ab absolutely gorgeous, and the water is so close! I need to get up to that area more often. I posted a video above that really shows the charm and beauty there.

      Delete
  7. It sounds like the most spectacular day. I live near the beach, not like yours of course but I fail to visit very often. Work and life get in the way. stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember how tiring those working years can be, Mereknits. Plus, you are a busy mother.

      Delete