Saturday, September 15, 2018

Feeding Compost To Chickens Helps Them Lay Eggs



I have been experimenting with adding homemade compost to my hens' diet. Each morning I give them a third cup of scratch, and a couple of large romaine lettuce leaves. I make sure that they have grit so that their eggshells stay strong. After greeting and feeding them, I remove their water dish and a small pail of compost from the previous day. I dump the leftover compost back into the pile, and dig  towards the center, where it's cooking. That's where I find the red wiggler worms, potato bugs, and other live insects. I refill the pail, change their water, and replace both of these in their coop.

It seems like they are laying more regularly since adding the compost. Maybe it's the protein from the bugs. Little Blackie picks out the worms immediately. She's so smart. They take turns pecking at the compost, eagerly gobbling up the grubs and worms. Since I don't let them free range, (due to all of the hawks and predators,) this is my way of supplementing their diet. They can actually survive on compost alone, but mine seem to love their scratch, afternoon helping of laying pellets, and fresh lettuce. Do you feed your chickens compost? It has a magical effect on the vegetables, as well.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.
       

11 comments:

  1. She is so fluffy and cute.
    Does she lay eggs now Stephenie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, does she ever, Nil! She's a terrific little layer. She acts like she's going to work when she settles into her nest box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What gorgeous fluff balls, ours are out digging around all the time so they get lots of bugs, they love spiders, also I keep a dish of grit on their co op.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so sweet. Their feathers are so soft. Glad to hear that yours are healthy and happy, Living Simply.

      Delete
  4. I found that hens are great for clearing weeds and stuff out of a veggie plot. Make/buy a run (like a rabbit run) that you can move around the garden. They will scratch out and eat all the bugs and weeds for you. They also compost it at the same time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard they call those "chicken tractors" here. We have too many predators to risk it. I've see coyotes and raccoons in the broad daylight.

      Delete
    2. Thankfully we don't have either of those in England.

      Delete
  5. We don’t have chickens anymore, I did enjoy them when we did, they used to enjoy a bit of pasta in the winter xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny, Cheryl. My friend said that they are like garbage disposals. My dog loves pasta, too.

      Delete
  6. I bet your eggs taste delicious from that good diet...and the shells are very hard! You just have to protect them from predators, I know from my son and his wife's chickens falling prey! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same thing happened to my neighbor, Andrea. They feel safe in their coop. The eggs are wonderful.

      Delete