Sunday, September 16, 2018

Working Through Discouragement and Finding the Light



Today I finally  finished the LaLa Simple Shawl. It was a jubilant feeling. As I bound off the last few stitches, I felt so happy and free. I had almost given up on it, because I was having so much trouble counting all of those stitches. The finer the yarn, the more stitches you have. This one gradually increased to over three hundred stitches. But, it was worth all of the frustration and  backtracking.   I blocked it this afternoon, and have been wearing it this evening. It is so light and airy; I love the feathery feel of the yarn. My other shawls are all knit from worsted weight wool or llama. This one is perfect for the months and  months of warm weather that we have here in Los Angeles.


After that, I decided to tackle the Carbeth sweater that I started months ago. I had put it aside during the heat, and have been feeling guilty for neglecting it.  I just couldn't sit with a pile of hot wool on my lap in this weather. I pulled it out of my knitting bag, and it was a huge mess. I untangled the yarn, straightened everything out, and measured the sleeves. To my surprise everything actually looked very good. I sat with the pattern and studied what needed to be done. Things are always worse in my mind.

I was a little confused with the instructions. I didn't understand what I was supposed to do with the underarm stitches that I had on scrap yarn. I read through the finishing section, and discovered that  you graft those stitches together. Ahh! That was like a revelation. I use the same technique on the toes of my socks.

Sitting comfortably on the couch, I began the round where you connect the sleeves to the body. It went very well. This pattern is a breeze, after doing all of that tedious work on the shawl. If all goes well, (and that's a very big if,) I should have it finished tomorrow. It's done on size 10.5 needles, so it moves quickly. I'm so excited about it. Once again, I am very glad that I came back to what I started and recommitted. Part of me wanted to give up, because I didn't feel connected to the project anymore.   It's absolutely beautiful yarn, (that was given to me by a fellow knitter,) and I know it will become one of my favorite sweaters.   How are your crafts going? 

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. 

16 comments:

  1. The first photo of the dhsel in water looks quite mysterious until you enlarge It!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does. That was during the blocking soak...I love the colors.

      Delete
  2. I bet that shawl looks lovely wrapped around you. They are so feminine and pretty aren't they? I had a little trouble with the head gusset of the knitted teddy bear. I have sorted it out and am well on the way to finishing it. I am glad I didn't just scrap it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Cherie. I love it. Yes, shawls are very useful. I wear them almost every day. They look pretty draped over a chair, too. Glad to hear that you worked out the gusset.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see the shawl after blocking. Your sweater looks great. It seems to be a short style-above the waist fit? I started a Marettimo sweater, but will make mine more of a tunic length and maybe with longer sleeves. Another knitter on Raverly posted a photo of hers as a tunic length and it was beautiful. This is the first time I have knit a sweater from the bottom up AND the first time I have used circular needles to knit in the round. It took me a few tries to get the first round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you have learned those new techniques, Anita. This one is also bottom up, and in the round. Yes, it is a cropped style. I made mine a few inches longer, since I am long waisted. I also made the sleeves longer, since I have very long arms. It's fun to make things to fit your shape. I will have to look up that Marettimo sweater.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful shawl and sweater! Looks too difficult for me though! I know what you meant by "revelation". Sometimes I just can't "see" a pattern/instructions and then if I come back to it, I can finally understand it in an instant! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's true, Andrea. My first teacher taught us to read the entire pattern before doing anything. Since I had set this project aside, I knew I needed to reread everything. It's a great feeling when you have that moment of understanding.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! shawl colors and pattern look great even in the sink....can't wait to see it unfurled!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks jill. I think I like the look best in the sink. It is a very pretty shawl, though. It feels so wonderful and lightweight. I will post photos soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love wearing shawls. How nice to be able to make your own. You are a very talented knitter Stephenie. I hope you will post a photo of the shawl after blocking is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. It is rewarding to make your own shawls. I'll ask my neighbor to take a photo of it for me. I'm going to make her one with the leftover yarn. She likes the colors.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on finishing the shawl! It always feels so good to persist through slow and tedious projects when we finally complete them. I love LOVE that grey of the jumper.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's true, Emma. I am feeling so much better about things in general, since finishing these projects. It's depressing to buy materials and then give up on something that you wanted to make. I love the grey, too. The neutrals in simple patterns are always the ones that I wear regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The colours in the shawl look to be beautiful, Stephenie. And I love the grey of your sweater! My first shawl, that I started earlier this year, is still progressing but just very slowly. I put it aside when I get distracted by other projects. At the moment, I'm knitting a few organic cotton washcloths to put aside for Xmas gifts. I like working in these cottons because they are so soft and look lovely. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The washcloths sound soft and beautiful, Meg. I remember your shawl. I'm glad you're still working on it. I am very happy with the colors of this one, and especially love the grey sweater. I will have to rip back to the join tomorrow. Oh well. It's like dancing. You clean and fix until you get it right.

      Delete