Friday, September 28, 2018

Made Some Green Christmas Soaps Today



soap batter

I made a batch of Shea Butter Goat's Milk Soap this afternoon.  I used green mica to color it; I'm really pleased with the result. It will be exciting to cut and unmold (unmould) these soaps in a few days.  This was my first time using the mica for coloring. I normally use Brazilian clays for swirls and accents. I like how the milk soaps turn out with color. They have a pastel hue. It's subtle and  pretty.

fir tree soaps

My Etsy shop  usually gets pretty active this time of year, so I am busy making soaps for the holiday season. I plan to make several more batches this month. I need to start printing out extra labels, too. I've got a huge box full of small muslin drawstring bags that I ordered last year. I also have several blocks of shea butter in the fridge. It's nice to have plenty of supplies. I'm glad that I invested in all that I needed last year.  


I have been making an effort to try new things and vary my diet lately. If I watch the news or read about people who are arguing, it makes me feel depressed. Even the dance publications have gotten very political. I decided to get grounded in the home, for peace of mind.  I tend to gravitate toward the familiar. I made hash browns for lunch, which I hadn't done in ages. I'd forgotten how delicious they are. Now that the weather is getting cooler I can start cooking and baking some traditional favorites. It's funny how just a small change in what we are doing, creatively, can lift our spirits.  Can't wait to see how these soaps turn out! It's funny how just a bit of color changes the whole vibe. I used Energy fragrance on this batch. It's a fresh, fruity,  jasmine scent. Everyone seems to love it.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  


14 comments:

  1. Your soaps are always so lovely, Stephenie! I love the gentle green colour very much. I agree with you. I do think little changes in what we are making or using in our craft, in the colours and the textures can really bring new energy and positivity. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Meg. I'm very pleased with the pale green color, too. (colour) Green is healing; I've always loved it.

      Delete
  2. I very much agree about the power of creativity to help lift our moods and to help bring us a bit of cheer. I always feel the same way and it doesn’t need to be a big creative task.

    Your soaps are lovely, I have never experimented with colour. But I always admire peoples pretty soaps.

    As you are coming into the cooler weather we are coming into the warmer weather. I’m looking forward to fresh salads and simple crunchy foods.

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, Yes, salads are perfect in the warm weather. I love all of the delicious fruits that Summer brings.

      Delete
  3. So pretty! I plan on making soap soon. It is so rewarding! I know what you mean...for sanity's sake it is best to not watch the news, etc. too much and to live our lives without worry! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, The mental state is so important. Staying happy and positive takes self discipline. I look forward to seeing your soaps.

      Delete
  4. You always make beautiful soaps. I love the shade of green in these soaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nil. The milk soaps are a little trickier, because of the temperature. I'm pleased with how this shade of green is looking, too. I love pastels.

      Delete
  5. Love the shade of green, looks beautiful. I have just made a batch of soaps all ready for gifts its so nice to be ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome mamasmercantile. Thank you for the comment. Yes, it is nice to be ahead with the gift soaps. I love the way the green mica turned out, too. Thank you.

      Delete
  6. Lovely soaps. I am sure they will sell fast on your Esty site. I agree that home should always be a sanctuary. It looks like some rain may be headed our way this week-always welcome in Southern California!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. I hope we get some rain. That would be lovely. A peaceful home is invaluable. It really is an investment of time and effort.

      Delete
  7. Right now, in this rental house, I have no out of the way place to make soap.....well really to mix the lye and so forth. But I have enough to last me for a few months, at least. I must admit my soap bars do not have the eye appeal that yours do! I am content if they just come out properly and are good for my skin. I only give them to family and friends anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Peace Thyme, I just mix mine in the sink. I keep the windows open, and the ceiling fan running. The molds I use make the soaps look pretty. I like simple, old fashioned soaps, too. I think they are all beautiful.

    ReplyDelete