Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Knitting Through Frustration and Regaining Confidence

Newborn Baby Sweater on Lost In Time Shawl

Yesterday as I was working on my shawl, I felt the urge to frog the whole project. I was consistently having trouble with the stitch count, and realized that it was just going to get worse. With a triangular shawl, it  keeps growing and growing. The further you go, the more stitches you have.  I had just backtracked six rows to fix a loop near a stitch marker. It took me hours.

I realized that the stitch markers that I was using were causing me trouble. They had little charms dangling from them. Although they were adorable, they were getting caught on the yarn overs. The locking stitch markers had a tendency to stretch the cotton/acrylic yarn. This created more loops. I replaced them with some tiny, simple markers that I had in my notions. They were given to me with a bag of baby yarn. They work perfectly. Another Godsend. I have been so fortunate with all the knitting supplies that have flown into my life. This tote bag used to belong to my mom. She loved her Yorkies. I knit her all kinds of things when she was alive.

I had a revelation as I was putting back all 280 stitches on the needles. I should have used life lines! I had forgotten all about them. They really save a lot of time and heartache when knitting lace. Although this is a fairly simple pattern, I find that anything with yarn overs can cause me to get upset if I have to rip out a row or two. I threaded a lifeline through a row of stockinette stitch, and feel much better now.


I got several rows done today, and am feeling much more positive about completing this project. I discovered  that I also need to count out loud, or to myself. I can't work on this one with company or in a knitting group. I invariably make a tiny mistake, and get mixed up when I try to recount. If I do it in solitude, I'm fine.

I found a simple project on Martha Stewart's website that I plan to start tomorrow. It's a knit bag that looks perfect for some dark grey alpaca yarn that I have. It was given to me by my ballet teacher from childhood. I expected it to be ultra soft, but it feels more like scratchy wool. It's beautiful, and hand spun. She made a shrug with it, but it didn't fit. She packed it up for me and suggested that  I make something with it for myself. It's from her sister's alpacas. I was trying to find the perfect project for it, and I think this might be it. I knitted three swatches to make it work. It turns out I can use my size 11 needles and use more stitches to make the measurements work. Since it's just two rectangles, it won't matter that my calculations are different. This yarn is hand spun, and it looked too lacey on the size 15 needles that Martha's pattern suggested. Actually, I only have size 13 needles, but it looked way too big on those. I think they must mean ultra bulky yarn, rather than bulky. I have size 11 needles already, and I really don't want to have to buy any more knitting needles.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.    

16 comments:

  1. such a sweet project bag..

    i have frogged so many knit projects this season already. i also need to concentrate and count - its difficult at times to do that with my wee ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela, I bet it is! I was just watching a knitting podcast as I worked on my shawl, and made several mistakes. Will have to pick out two rows, at least.

      Delete
  2. I discovered lifelines when I was taking part in a '12 in 2012' shawl knitting project. So many times I had to pull back rows. My next project will be a knitted teddy bear. This one will be fairly big and I want to add a lavender pouch to the stuffing. It will sit on my bed and fragrance the bedroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a fabulous project, Cherie. Can't wait to see photos. The lavender is a clever idea.

      Delete
  3. The baby sweater is beautiful. I feel for you with the saga of the lacy shawl. My last pair of socks caused me much angst and I had to rip out many, many rows. I always end up with a pain in my right shoulder because I am so tense when I have to correct row after row. I have finished my silk/wool sweater, blocked it and am in love. The sleeves are a bit wider than I would have liked, but that is the only issue. Next project will be the Marettimo sweater. I think I will make it more of a tunic length and make the sleeves longer. Off to Martha's website to check out the bag pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations, Anita. You have done so much excellent knitting this year. I can't wait to see your hand knit sweaters. Your work is always just beautiful.

      Delete
  4. Good for you in persevering and finding a viable solution. I admire your tenacity.
    Those markers are a mixed blessing...easy to see but like you said, they catch and create confusion with fine open knitting. It's really going to be a gorgeous piece!

    Don't laugh, but my favorite markers are the little colored plastic rings that come with the family packs of heads foe electric tooth brushes! My friends save them for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill. I just realized that I made a mistake in my lifeline. It's caught up on all of the yarn over. Ugh. Those markers that you use sound ideal. They have to be tiny.

      Delete
  5. The baby sweater is so pretty. You are a very talented knitter Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nil. I love that sweater. It's a sweet and easy pattern.

      Delete
  6. Your work is beautiful! I love the light colors also. I hope to learn someday how to knit! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. I think you will be an excellent knitter. It's a wonderful hobby, and you can wear what you make!

      Delete
  7. Lovely you are able to use your Mother's sweet bag.
    You have such patience with your crafts Stephenie.

    I am so sorry I did not see a comment of yours from
    last month on my Happiness is.. post it has now been
    published x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi fiona, Thanks. No problem. I didn't even know. I don't know if I have patience, but I do have persistence and determination. It's so worth it in the end. Wearing hand knits is so rewarding.

      Delete
  8. I think I shall have to borrow your phrase ... "the urge to frog the whole project" as I too will succumb to those thoughts. I have a few projects, knitting and otherwise, that I've dispatched with because I just couldn't work my way through them. I think your patience and willingness to work through frustration shows in your beautiful knitting. Meg:) p.s. I love that you are using your Mum's bag now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, thank you, Meg. This one was filled with backtracking, but I love it. I think the cotton/acrylic blend will come in very handy. We have so many warm weather months here in California. I hope you will stick with your knitting, even when it is frustrating you.

    ReplyDelete