Wednesday, September 5, 2018

In The Pink


I have finally reached the pink section on the LaLa's Simple Shawl. I spent three hours today picking back eight long rows. I made the mistake of not counting while socializing at a knitting group. When I got home, I had 149 stitches on one side of the marker, and 151 stitches on the other side. Because of the yarn overs, I slowly backtracked row by row. Sigh...

I have been riding bikes with my young neighbor. She is so sweet. She likes to hang out on the porch with me while I knit. The gliders are comfortable. After playing ball with Lula she suggested, "Let's go back out on the front porch and do some more stitching." I thought that was so cute, since she was just watching. She likes to be around the fiber arts. She has such a keen eye, especially for color.


 I wrote an obituary today for another dancer. He was only 61. Even though I didn't know him, I was deeply saddened by his death. I will post the piece here, once Dance Magazine has published it online.


The Cinderella pumpkin seeds that I planted are growing rapidly. I fed them some homemade compost today. I started them a bit late, but  am hoping to get a few orange pumpkins in time for Halloween and Thanksgiving. This weather is much easier on them. The artichokes are coming back, too. Vegetables grow so rapidly. It's fascinating to see what can happen overnight.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.


 

13 comments:

  1. your shawl is pretty. i have never knitted one before although it is on my to-do-list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela. There is a long way to go. Shawls are wonderful and versatile. I hope you knit one for yourself.

      Delete
  2. Hallo there ,I;m sorry for your loss but can't help wonder that your young neighbour comes over for a lovely time just when you need it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. Yes, happiness follows sadness. It is an honor (honour) to write obituaries, but it also is painful. I want their memories to live on, and to capture their spirits.

      Delete
  3. I love the pattern and texture of that shawl!
    In the end I've found that the pieces that gave me the most trouble usually end up being my favorites! When they're done I soak them in wool wash, block them mightily and put them away for at least a month. When they reemerge in a month or two they always look fantastic.

    Glad your weather is a bit better so you and Lula can enjoy the garden and hiking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jill. I know what you mean. Sometimes when you are working on a project you can become too critical. I'm glad that you enjoy and appreciate your knitting projects. I do, too. Yes, the weather is fantastic now! Hope yours is, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous shawl! So much texture and detail in there.

    Children are funny when it comes to creating. My boys all love to watch me sew and often sit fascinated as something comes together. Popping in and out to check progress. I have not been crafting much until recently, and I didn't realize my littlest had been missing out. He is perhaps my craftiest child out of all of them as he crafts draws and paints so much I had to get him his own little drop-lid desk to keep it all together whilst being able to close up the lid and hide away his creative chaos! I think children are naturally such creative beings, that they are drawn to the process.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too, Emma. Creativity is such a positive force. It's a wonderful way to stay happy and productive.

      Delete
  6. You look so happy on that photo. 😊
    Do you think your young neighbor would like to learn knitting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, Thanks. I have taught her to crochet. She tried knitting, but it was a bit overwhelming for her. She likes to crochet blankets for her miniature horses.

      Delete
  7. That is a great photo of you. The shawl is lovely and you have made great progress on it since we saw it last. How nice your young neighbor comes to visit. I suspect you will have a knitting or crochet student before long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. I have had to work backwards again. I found a loop. I will start using lifelines. Patience...

      Delete
  8. Your shawl is verry lovely! and the colors beautiful!
    For my is a perfect shawl!

    ReplyDelete