Sunday, September 30, 2018

Deep Cleaning In The Home


Today I did some intense cleaning in my kitchen. I pulled out the drain pans on my vintage stove and scoured them with baking soda. (bicarb) Some of the grease was baked on, so I heated up some white vinegar on the stove, poured it into the pans,  and used a knife to scrape off the stickiness. Phew! It's a satisfying feeling to take care of what you own.

The sides of my appliances were also splattered with grease, so I scrubbed those clean with a rag dipped in baking soda and hot water. I also cleaned off the top of the refrigerator. It was caked with a layer of  dust. I really should do these chores more often, and then it wouldn't feel like such a big job. I tend to avoid them. It's always easier than I think it will be, once I tackle the task. Oh well, it's done, and I feel very relieved.


Yesterday I bought a new set of sheets for the bed. My old fitted bottom sheet had started to rip. My foot was sliding into it. The threads  had worn from daily use. The new ones are 100% cotton. I had to check the labels carefully, because so many of the sheets at T.J. Maxx were 100% polyester. I prefer natural fibers. I was trying to remember if the sheets my mom bought us when we were growing up were cotton and polyester, or all cotton. I think they were a blend. I did a load of laundry today, and hung everything out on the the clothesline to dry. We have sunshine here year round, so I enjoy taking advantage of it to dry my towels, clothing, and bedding. I also washed a few of my sun dresses by hand, wrung out the excess water in my Nina Spin Dryer, and hung those out on the clothesline to dry, as well.


The soaps came out just as I had hoped. I unmolded (unmoulded) them this morning. I'm very pleased with the shade of green that I got from using just a half teaspoon of the green mica powder from Brambleberry. When mixed into  the milk soap batter, it makes such a muted, soft pastel shade. Goat's milk soap can be tricky, because of temperature. It turns brown and tan, depending on how hot your oils and lye/milk mixture are. I let my oils cools for a couple of hours before  mixing the lye with the frozen goat's milk ice cubes.


There were some excellent bargains at the grocery stores the other day. I found Jazz apples and a late variety of peaches for .50 a pound. I bought  this large watermelon at Sprouts for $3.99. I shared it with my neighbor. It's huge! I set it out in the sun for a couple of days, for maximum sweetness.  That's a trick I learned from another one of my neighbors. This is the old fashioned type watermelon, with black seeds. It's my favorite.  What's happening in your home?

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.       

20 comments:

  1. Today I cleaned my pantry shelves and organized the stockpile. I have to clean the top of the fridge and drip pans on the stove. Maybe sometime this week. It's amazing how quickly dust accumulates in the kitchen because of grease. I clean the countertops, stovetop and sweep the floor daily, but don't have a set schedule for deep cleaning.

    Your Christmas soaps are lovely.

    Do you make watermelon juice? It's delicious. It's one of my favorite summer drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Nil. I saw your post on cleaning your washing machine, and I plan to do mine today. We have hard water here, which leaves a film. It's a challenge to remove it without using chemicals.

      Delete
    2. No, I've never made watermelon juice. It sounds delicious.

      Delete
  2. Your soaps are beautiful. The colour is such a gentle green! Deep cleaning is very satifying but, like you, I tend to put it off:/ We have had a long weekend here so I planted up zucchini and sunflowers, finished knitting a washcloth and did some washing. Meg☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, Thank you. It sounds like you have been very busy and productive. I plan to spend a few hours a day cleaning this week. It's easier if I keep up on it. Enjoy your gardening.

      Delete
  3. Stephanie, I love your Christmas soaps. If you lived in England I would be placing an order… Now I will have to search tinternet for some. I will be doing my pre Christmas deep clean in the next week or two. I love how everything looks and smells once it is done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, Thank you. Postage is quite expensive from California to England. It's cheaper if you send it regular mail. I love the feeling in a home after it's been cleaned. You're right about how it looks and smells...it's very rewarding.

      Delete
  4. It is always satisfying to have a "deep" clean isn't it, I must go through each room again and tackle some jobs.
    I have never seen a melon that shape or size before, that will keep you going for a while.
    Love your soaps they always look so good, do you sell them locally?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Living Simply, Yes, I sell them locally and on Etsy. There is a link on my sidebar to Pink Cottage Soaps.

      Delete
  5. just caught up with a few of your posts, your shawl is lovely & i think it goes well with your couch! looks gorgeous round the neck too; such beautiful colours!
    love gardens with a little colour as well as vegetables; mine is almost dead as there is a drought here & we're on water restrictions; time to rethink my gardens.
    would love to see your window boxes full of flowers! sounds very pretty!

    am not much into cleaning, i know it has to be done & i eventually get round to doing it & no, haven't touched my oven since it was put in last year, naughty me, well it says it's self cleaning! hah!
    your soaps look very luxurious, gorgeous colour!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, There's a photo of the window boxes on the blog. I posted it a few days ago. Thank you for your encouragement with the shawl. Color really affects our mood, doesn't it?

      Delete
  6. Beautiful soap colors! And you do a perfect job making it! You were very busy. That is one big watermelon! Very economical...all those vitamins and all that liquid to quench your thirst also! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. The molds really help. The watermelon has been so refreshing.

      Delete
  7. I agree-there are certain cleaning jobs that just seem so easy to pass on for yet another day. For me it is cleaning the ceiling fans and the plantation shutters. I am always so pleased with myself when I have finished those 2 jobs. To tell the truth, I never, ever cook anything that causes a greasy mess because I am just too lazy to clean it up. So no frying or broiling. I rarely sauté, but when I do I am a manic about scrubbing the cooktop. Your watermelon looks yummy. That is a good tip about leaving it in the sun-I will remember it. The soaps are so pretty. I bet they will sell fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. I need to make more of this recipe. It is very popular this time of year. I just cleaned my ceiling fans, too. They do get dusty. I use a dustpan and brush, and then wipe them with a rag drenched in white vinegar water.

      Delete
  8. Your soaps are beautiful! It does feel good having things clean even where you can’t see doesn’t it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find cleaning therapeutic, especially when I'm stressed. Your soaps are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania. I love the after effects of cleaning.

      Delete
  10. That's a great tip about the melons....didn't know that!

    I love the crisp definitions on these un-molded soaps. They will make terrific holiday and hostess gifts.

    I don't do heavy, deep cleaning in the extreme and progressively worsening summer weather anymore.
    Between the ceiling fans always being on, spreading dust hither and yon, and the thick oppressive air, I just kind of wave a cloth about and spritz my vinegar cleaning concoction until the kinder temps roll back around.
    Spring and Fall are much more suitable for cleaning.


    ReplyDelete
  11. That makes sense, Jill. I've really been enjoying the fresh Fall air. The front garden seems to purify it.

    ReplyDelete