Monday, October 1, 2018

Housekeeping and Mental Health



Since I have started   a bit of deep cleaning  each day, I am amazed at how much better and more balanced I feel. The refrigerator looks clean and organized, the washing machine is shining, and the stove looks much better than it did. There is still a bit of baked on grease under the burners that I haven't been able to completely remove, but the energy in my home feels calm and nurturing. Things are moving in the right direction.

Tomorrow I need to tackle the air conditioner and windowsill in the kitchen. It's covered with dust. Yuk. Those undone chores linger in our subconscious. I know where all of my messes are, even if they are hidden.

I made some liquid soap on the vintage stove  yesterday. I used homemade soap scraps and eight cups of water. I used it to clean the windowsills today. It does an excellent job. I like the non toxic cleaners so much better than the popular ones we used when we were kids. They take more elbow grease and effort, but they don't have fumes that hurt your throat, and cause diseases.  The soap feels simple and pure. I use it to clean my floors, too. It's so versatile.

This bougainvillea  is not mine, but I hope to grow some in my driveway. It's spectacular! (and drought tolerant)

I've been working on decluttering, as well.  Today I went through my books and put several of them in the car. I will donate them to the library next time I drive into town. I packed my back issues of Dance Magazine, as well. I'm working on paring down my living space to just the essentials. When you live in a small house, it can feel cluttered and messy very easily. I am going to continue to sort through my things and cull as much as I can. It feels so much better when there is breathing space in a room. I do yoga each night in the living room. I'm striving to make my house have the airiness of a hotel. It's working. I'm feeling lighter and freer.  I like the idea that someone can be enjoying the books and magazines that I have already read, too.


I have been stung by a bee twice in my home this week. It's very strange. Both times a bee was buzzing at the window, next to my desk. I must have stepped on the first one. Today, it felt like a stinger just dropped on to the top of my foot. Bee venom is amazingly powerful. My foot is still tender. I made a paste of baking soda, and that provided relief. Ice was helpful, too. From now I am not going barefoot. I have switched to homemade socks and slippers with a rubber sole.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. I appreciate you visiting my blog.  


16 comments:

  1. Ouch! I hope your foot improves quickly. I find bee stings incredibly painful. Your deep cleaning sounds like it is going well. Your house will be sparkling! Meg ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. They are. Fortunately it is much better today. Now it's itching, which means it's healing.

      Delete
  2. I am sure you have heard the saying tidy house tidy mind, I am in the midst of going through each room at the moment I just do a little everyday, at the moment I am doing the office. I like your vintage tins in the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Living Simply. I have had those tins for twenty years. That's a true saying. There is more work to be done.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful uplifting post, well except for the bee sting but I have heard they can be beneficial as well, the sting I mean, your soap is amazing! I know exactly how content one feels when things are cleaned and orderly,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing, Laurie. I have seen television shows about bee sting therapy. They hurt, though! I love the soap; thank you!

      Delete
  4. the bougainvillea looks lovely but they are covered in thorns & a pain to keep pruned, they get out of hand very quickly as they tend to grow fast; don't you have any nice natives in your area you could put on your driveway?
    honey is also good for bee stings, you have flowers in the window boxes there & they were probably looking for water or thought you smelled like a flower :))
    when i was stung by a wasp at the beginning of the year i noticed i wasn't as tolerant of the sting as i usually am, no allergies usually, but this time i rashed up all the way up my arm & it was itchy! never had that before, someone mentioned as we age our tolerances go down too.
    i am going through my books too, just sorting out the book shelf, a few have been donated to our markets but i love books mostly & will keep the majority. i have back to basics, country living to vampire & fantasy books, quite a mixture.
    your soaps look very pretty, such a lovely shade of green
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, The Bougainvillea is exactly what I want. I love the effect. I kept a lot of the books, too. It's hard to part with them.

      Delete
  5. Bougainvillea is beautiful, especially if it is allowed to grow free. Some of the most spectacular specimens are along the freeways here in Southern California. No one trims them or gives them any care! I am always surprised when I get stung by a bee. The last time was while I was taking a shower of all things! A bee was hidden in my scubbie puff nd when I squeezed it the bee stung me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree, Anita. I have big plans for Bougainvillea in my garden in the future. It's perfect for our climate, and I love the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope your foot is better now.
    Your living room looks so clean and serene. I pictured you sitting on one of the chairs, knitting. :)
    I love bougainvillea though I don't have any yet. My mom has several different colors in her garden. She keeps them in pots for easy maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, I would like to have bougainvillea in pots, but the lady at the nursery told me that the plants would eventually need to go in the ground. She said that they would get rootbound. I wonder if your mom repots hers?

      Delete
  8. Ouch! I know how a bee sting feels! I used to go barefoot (long ago) until my foot was stung. Home Sweet Home....amazing how a homemaker can look around and see the "clean" all over! You did a good job! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Andrea. I am doing more of the bigger tasks, and it feels great. Today I washed the bedroom curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Deep cleaning is on the agenda here too, a little each day. Its school holidays which means I will go through the boys rooms with them, and also their clothing as the weather starts to warm up and check what needs replacing, handing down, getting rid of or donating. I also need to go through my kitchen as there are things I never use taking up valuable space.

    I hope your foot feels better soon - ouch!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, I'm sorry, I didn't see this comment until now. It feels good to donate the items that you are no longer using. The library was very pleased with the books that I gave them, especially the knitting ones.

      Delete