Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Eating Well and Washing The Curtains


Today I removed the bedroom curtains from their racks, shook them out on the back porch, and washed them in hot water. I put baking soda and homemade liquid soap in  my Kenmore washing machine. It's a thirty year old top loader, and it works beautifully. I've only had to have it serviced a couple of times. After laundering them, I hung the floral curtains out on the clothesline to dry. The bedroom feels totally different now with fresh, clean, crisp curtains.

I was surprised at how swollen my foot had become from the bee sting yesterday. It was red and itchy, as well. It looked like an old lady's foot.  I took a bath in sea salt and baking soda, and that provided a lot of relief. After that I washed my hair and took a cold shower. Hydrotherapy always helps me release negative energy. I think since I've had a couple of bee stings in the past week my body had a little more trouble fighting off the venom from this one. It felt toxic.  I felt slightly queasy and almost had a hot flash, which I never get.


After watering the garden I made a salad with the lettuce from the lettuce patch and some spinach from Costco. I baked a few potatoes in the toaster oven, and fried up some bacon pieces that I bought on sale at Sprouts. There was enough salad for lunch and dinner, and I reheated some of the cauliflower cheese casserole that I made the other day. It feels comforting to eat healthy, fresh food. I gave Lula a potato as a treat. I bought a ten pound bag of them for three dollars.

It's interesting how our bodies have to regularly fight off things like infections, colds, flus, and inflammation from insect bikes. I took it easy on the couch, elevated my feet, and enjoyed a book called The Not So Big Life, by Sarah Susanka. I love her writing and philosophies on home and spirituality.

I watered the garden this morning. This is the lettuce patch.

I decided not to do our three mile walk today, and just gave Lula an extra bike ride in the evening. We chatted with the neighbors, and she enjoyed running alongside me. While I was laying on the couch, she kept placing her paw on my arm. She tried several times to climb up on the couch with me, which I don't allow.  She was very insistent. It's funny how animals sense when you have an injury or illness. It seemed like she wanted to lay on top of me. I never thought a bee sting would cause me to need rest, but this time I felt it was what I should do. All of the extra cleaning that I've been doing has made it a very comforting and peaceful place to recuperate.  

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

18 comments:

  1. Wow Stephanie, I hope your foot heals quickly. Also, when you're finished up with your house, feel free to come see me 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so funny, Lady Locust. I don't think I will ever be finished here. Doing one challenging task each day is working well.

      Delete
  2. Hope your foot heals well and you feel better!

    You're so lucky to still have food growing in your garden. Ours has been harvested and we're enjoying our naturally grown food but miss seeing everything growing!

    X Chy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chy. It is so much better today. It's actually easier to grow things here at this time of year. The temperatures are perfect. Thanks for commenting, and welcome.

      Delete
  3. I think animals can definitely sense when we're under the weather. I hope your foot is a little better today. I haven't had a bee sting since I was a child but I always have bad reactions to bites, they can be very painful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jo. She kept offering reassurance. It was so sweet. She seemed determined to help. Yes, bites can also be uncomfortable. I think I need to get some screens. Thanks for commenting, and welcome to the blog.

      Delete
  4. Your lettuce patch looks so sweet...and your salad looks good and healthy! Hope your foot gets better. We didn't go for our daily walk with our dog (due to tornadoes in the area) and she acted as if she could tell. I washed my curtains a short while ago and now I can tell they are fresh and clean! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, Clean curtains are kind of like clean sheets. I love the feeling. I bet your dog did sense the tornado. My German Shepherd used to climb into the bathtub during a rain storm.

      Delete
  5. Nothing feels so good as a fresh clean room, that sounds like a nasty sting, I agree it’s amazing what effect a toxin can have on our body, I know they say bee stings can have positive effects possibly causing negative effects along the way,, it’s all a mystery! Yummy salad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurie, That's true. I was surprised at how much energy it took in the first couple days. I feel back to normal now. Yes, a fresh, clean room is comforting.

      Delete
  6. That pan of watermelon looks so refreshing! And you’re inspiring me to do some fall cleaning! I hope you feel better soon. Sounds like you’re being well cared for by sweet Lula. 😊 Take care!!! 💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Courtney. Lula is my little Florence Nightingale. All is well now. Your home always looks spotless to me.

      Delete
  7. I am glad you are on the mend. It is important to listen to our bodies and it sounds like you know yours very well. I plan on washing curtains in a few weeks while the window washing company is here. It seems like a good time to take care of that job as they will need them to be moved out of the way to do their job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like the perfect time, Anita. Yes, dancers are very in tune with their bodies. Rest was the perfect cure, thanks.

      Delete
  8. Your lettuce looks good. It's wonderful to have home grown fresh leaves for salads.
    I hope you take enough rest Stephenie, perhaps your foot needs rest to heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. I fed the lettuce compost tea today. You were right about the rest. I feel like my old self again today. It's amazing what a tiny stinger and venom sack can do to your whole immune system.

      Delete
  9. It’s so lovely to be able to eat food straight from your own garden. Hope your poor foot gets better soon xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sure is, Cheryl. My foot is almost back to normal today. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete