Friday, October 12, 2018

My Mom:An Extraordinary Homemaker



My mom and I share the same birthday. She died three years ago. She had an amazing gift for the home, and I wanted to share some photos with you. They show her remarkable talent and attention to detail. She was such an artist. She just knew in her mind when shopping how things would look in a room. I just love these old antiques.

I grew up in an old house, and so did my parents. I love the charm and character of older homes, and the styles of those times. When traveling, I prefer the boutique hotels to those that are new and modern.  My mother understood the art of placement. She kept everything so clean and orderly. I never saw our house get messy or dirty, ever. We were taught from a young age to put things away and to have respect for our things. It was expected.


My mother believed that you shouldn't change the windows and doors of older homes. She felt that once people started remodeling, the houses lost the touches and details that made them special. She had a real eye for decor.  She understood the spirit of a house. She could have been a set designer. She told me that she would have done well in real estate. I think so, too.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much energy and talent to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

14 comments:

  1. What a beautiful home. I have to agree with your mom. I've told my husband that I totally understand why people want double paned windows, but the original doors and windows far surpass new in character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too, Lady Locust. In Vienna, they put up wool curtains in the winter. It's so cozy.

      Delete
  2. Your mom had great taste and a wonderful style! Chy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mum had a wonderful sense of style. It would suit me right down to the ground as I too love older styles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Cherie. That's one of the reasons I love Europe. I love the old cities and cobblestone streets.

      Delete
  4. She certainly was gifted, your pride and love show well in your writing, thank you for sharing such a tender post,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she was. Thank you for your kind words, Laurie.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful home! Your mom did have a gift for homemaking and a good eye for design. I think these days we have to remodel our newer homes because they weren't made good to start with! Then, after a couple of decades, the remodeling needs remodeled! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's funny, Andrea. Yes, the older homes and appliances were built to last. I try to keep as much of the original as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that most old homes and buildings have more character than new ones. I love antique and vintage furniture, old buildings and architecture.
    Your mom was a very creative lady. I think you got her sense of style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nil. Yes, she was. I love antique and vintage furniture, too. I always admired what she did with those rooms. She really transformed them into art.

      Delete
  8. Such a beautiful place. I so like everything I see. Nice....

    ReplyDelete