Monday, October 22, 2018

A Sunday Drive To A Honey Farm



Yesterday afternoon  I drove out to a honey farm that is between Piru and Fillmore, in Southern California. I have been making an effort to use the new freeways and connectors in our area. I soaked in the beautiful scenery, and it didn't take me long to get there. I watched for the signs. You make a right turn about a mile after the Arco station, near the palm trees.  


I loved all of the flowers that they were growing. It was inspiring to see so much in bloom in late October.


I bought a large beeswax candle, some strawberry lemonade honey taffy, and a bag of mint chocolate truffles.They are made with just honey, chocolate, and mint. They gave me some samples, which I used in my hibiscus tea last night. The quality is excellent.

There is an area where you can sit and relax outside. It's peaceful and shaded.  I headed back home and stopped at an antique store on the way. It was such a pretty drive, and the sky and mountains were gorgeous! 


It's amazing how getting out in a new environment can lift your spirits. It really makes me appreciate how beautiful California is. I feel so fortunate to have settled here. I adore the mountains and the ocean.


If you stay on this road, it takes you to Santa Barbara. I think that's where I will visit next time. How was your weekend? 

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.






16 comments:

  1. Oh that does look pretty. We love honey and often buy it from a little roadside stand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, too, Cherie. I'm sure they appreciate your business.

      Delete
  2. You do live in a very pretty area, Stephenie. Those bougainvillea flowers are beautiful.

    Once I bought a jar of lavender honey. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. The bougainvillea were spectacular. I hope to get mine to that size. I love the effect.

      Delete
  3. Glad you enjoyed your little trip and found some wonderful goodies. I buy local honey here, I would rather support the local people than the big supermarkets all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Living Simply. The regular customers make all the difference when you own a small business. I always appreciate each order with my soap and hand knits on Etsy.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful trip😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laurie, Yes it was. The best part was that there was no traffic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow-that is some gorgeous bougainvillea at the turn. The stand should use that as the landmark for the turn to the shop. The honey and truffles sound delicious. I never tried hibiscus tea until I went to Singapore last year. I found it very tasty. I haven't been to Santa Barbara in 35 or so years. I wonder if it has changed much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, I'm not sure. I've only been there once or twice. It's always beautiful, though. It's such a pretty drive, too. Solvang is also a charming place to visit.

      Delete
  7. Very nice! A neat farm. Looks like the weather was a sunny gorgeous day too. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, Yes, the weather was ideal. We have very hot summers here, but right now the temperatures are perfect for gardening and traveling. It's less crowded now, too.

      Delete
  8. What a lovely place! It's so important to support local shops and producers.I buy raw honey from the city farm if they have it or from a little local market. Meg🐝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, Yes, it really makes a difference. They need those steady customers. Honey has so many wonderful uses.

      Delete
  9. I lived in Ventura years ago and there was a wonderful fruit stand near Fillmore. We would visit it at least every couple of weeks in the spring and summer and fall. It might still be there..... Ventura was a lovely town that was hurt a lot by the fires in 2016. As was Santa Paula. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is still there, Peace Thyme. I have a friend who lives in Ventura. I used to walk my dog along the beach there. I haven't seen it since the fires.

      Delete