Thursday, October 4, 2018

Cleaning A Dirty Window That Was Infested With Termites

the bedroom window, sans the dirt

Today I finally tackled my dreaded bedroom window. I was afraid to look behind the blind that used to cover it. It is a VERY neglected space. I have this bad habit of doing the housekeeping chores that I enjoy, (like vacuuming, washing dishes, and sweeping the porch,) repeatedly. (even if they don't need doing.) I tend to skip the things that I hate to do. I put them off, sometimes for months. It's a terrible habit. I should clean what's dirty. I know, it's obvious.

Cinderella Pumpkin vine meandering through the front cottage garden



I pulled up the pink window blind, removed the screws, and threw it away.  It was too far gone to clean it. I've had it there for twenty years, and I didn't take care of it. Oh well.  I cleaned the window with white vinegar water and an old rag. I vacuumed up the termites and the dust, then cleaned the windowsill with homemade liquid soap and water. I replaced the freshly washed curtains, and voila! What a difference. I can't believe I waited so long to address this mess. It's a huge load of of my mind.  It is now a functional window. I also sprayed some ant and roach killer in the crevices where the termites were. I will see if they return. If they do, I will look into getting some orange oil for treatment.    

storm clouds and a pretty evening sky tonight

Dealing with the housekeeping chores that I have avoided has been very liberating. I'm just glad that I don't have a huge house.  After finishing the window,  I pulled out the dresser, removed all of the drawers, and cleaned the inside and outside of it. I vacuumed underneath it and got out all of the dust, dog hair, and dirt that had collected on the carpet. It only took a few minutes. I don't know why I wait so long to do these things. It always feels like such a huge project in my mind, and then when I actually do it, it's easy.  I think I will just continue to do one unenjoyable housekeeping project per day. That way it's doable, and I feel like I'm making headway.  My mother would be very pleased. She never let her house get this way. How is your housekeeping going?

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

12 comments:

  1. One job at a time sounds like an achievable way to go about those bigger housekeeping tasks, Stephenie. My house has lots of glass, windows and doors, and so that's the job I'm always putting off. I have done lots of dusting lately and some more decluttering so happy with that. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Meg. I plan to dust today, too. Sometimes I clean glass with dish soap and water. It works well.

      Delete
  2. My housekeeping is very hit and miss. If I am in the mood for housework I can have the whole place spik and span in an afternoon... Trouble is, I rarely am in the mood so it gets done sporadically. I do like my kitchen and bathroom to be clean though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie. I used to do the entire cottage in a day, when I was younger. Now I just do a couple of hours per day.

      Delete
  3. I think we are all guilty of putting jobs off Stephenie.
    I love the white chest of drawers, did you paint them yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Living Simply. No, but I did just clean them with soapy water. I bought that dresser at the Salvation Army for twenty dollars. It's filled with yarn and dance shoes.

      Delete
  4. I am the same way about chores I enjoy! I sweep the porches, clean the kitchen and deadhead flowers daily, but vacuum under the chairs and tables-not so much! I THINK about doing it though, so that must count, right? Keep a sharp eye on those termites. We had a evidence of activity underneath a newly installed French door a few years ago. I wanted a professional opinion so we hired the only company I could find which did not require a contract for continuing service. It was an isolated infestation and easily taken care of using some kind of pesticide. They did inspect all of the inside and outside, including the attic and found no evidence of any other problems. What a relief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's good, Anita. I really don't want to have to tent the house. I'm impressed that you deadhead your flowers daily.

      Delete
  5. Heheee are you my long lost twin Stephenie?
    I'm also very good at postponing hard jobs and repeat easy ones.
    It's good finally you got the windows cleaned. If the termite problem is serious, you might want to get professional opinion, especially if your cottage is a wood one.
    Here where I live, termites can be a big problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nil, My parents didn't buy the first house that they found in Northern California, because it didn't pass the termite inspection. There is always more work to be done with a home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you are feeling better. Hopefully no more bee stings! My house cleaning is like yours...lol. (pretty sky pic). Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, Thank you. I vacuumed up another bee today in the kitchen. I had on slippers with rubber soles, though. I grow sunflowers in my front garden, and they attract bees.

      Delete