Thursday, October 18, 2018

A Hot Lunch


Today I made a batch of Mexican rice and cooked it in my Le Creuset pot, in the oven. My mom gave each of her four kids a starter set of the Le Creuset pots and pans for Christmas one year. It was the best gift that I have ever received!

I heated up part of a chicken breast from a pack of four that I had boiled the other day. Chicken breasts are so useful! You can have them in salads, on a tortilla with cheese, marinated with vegetables, or on pizza. I used a bit of leftover broth to heat up my rice for lunch. Something about a hot, homemade  lunch is so satisfying.  I figured that using the broth was healthier than heating it up in butter. I do love butter, though. It makes everything taste so delicious.


I finished crocheting another pot holder. These make great hot pads, too. You can also chain forty-five stitches and make coasters. I like the double thickness. They are heat proof and practical. It's kind of a relief to be doing a mindless and simple project again. I still need to get back to my Carbeth sweater and finish it. It's sitting in my knitting bag, waiting patiently. It makes me feel guilty just thinking about it. I don't want to become one of those "startitis knitters" with eight different projects on their needles. No offense to anyone, it just stresses me out  not to complete things. 

Shea butter, olive oil, and coconut oil for today's batch of soap

The weather is getting colder at night. I wear my plaid Lanz flannel nightgown, which I love. I may invest in a pair of flannel sheets, as well. I've been using the alpaca and wool throw that  I knit several years ago. It's perfect to put on my lap while enjoying an early morning cup of coffee and crocheting.  

Thank you for your comments. They add so much energy and talent to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. 

27 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Nil, Thanks. I love the blend of spices, chicken broth, and rice. It looks like I lost part of your comment. You always...?

      Delete
  2. Your lunch looked amazing! I'd love to start collecting Le Creuset pots and pans. I have a couple of small bowls. One day!

    We are suddenly having a lovely heat wave. Record temperatures and beautiful sunny skies. Soaking it all up as much as we can before the big snow hits ~ hoping this year it waits until Christmas!

    Chy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chy, They are really excellent quality. You can use them forever. Enjoy that sun!

      Delete
  3. Your Mecican rice looks like a delicious lunch. I love rice dishes and with lots of veg they can be really healthy. Meg☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them that way, too, Meg. Next time I will add sautéed red peppers and corn.

      Delete
  4. I love a hot lunch! Your lovely mother really gave you an incredible gift with your pans, they are quite the investment. I see they even get a work out making your soap - that's rather luxurious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pipisrello, Yes, they were a perfect gift, and I use them daily. They last for 100 years! I only use them for heating the oils for soap. Otherwise it ruins the enamel.

      Delete
  5. That looks one tasty meal, I use a lot of chicken it is so versatile, and I just love cooking in cast iron pots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Living Simply. Chicken is versatile, and healthy.

      Delete
  6. Pretty potholder! I love my Le Creuset pot too! Such a nice gift from your mom...since they last forever and you will always remember her using it! (Very expensive though!) I was just thinking of pulling out my flannel sheets! (and my flannel nightgown!) lol Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. They are expensive, but worth the money. I use them every day, for every meal. Enjoy your warm flannels!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice yummy lunch! Yes, you should invest in some good quality flannel sheets. We have 2 sets that go on the bed when it starts to really get chilly-down here that is usually mid-November. I got mine from Lands End about 10 years ago and they have held up quite well. I am making slow progress on my Marettimo sweater, but the end is in sight! I should finish the neck ribbing today and then start on the sleeves. I am pretty sure a shawl will be next because I have lots of beautiful fingering weight yarn left over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Ten years is impressive. I used to have a set, and they were excellent. I have an alpaca blanket that I knit that is nice and warm. I like it, because I can throw it off if I get too hot.

      Delete
  9. Well, that is what I would do, too. Use broth instead of butter so I could have some of that delicious cheese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peace Thyme, I ended up using butter and cheese on the second helping, and that was really delicious!

      Delete
  10. My kind of food. Love your hear pads. I am going to make an effort and learn to crochet next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania, These are an ideal project for a beginner. They are all single crochets. (Well, in American terms.)

      Delete
  11. I am trying to make one of those hot pads at this time, a small easy to do task for my hands. I think it is more a mug rug size, live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi DebH. Yes, they are quick and easy. If you are doing this pattern, it needs to be a very loose chain of 60 stitches with a G or H hook to start. They stretch a lot after being washed, because they are 100 percent cotton. It is a small pot holder.

      Delete
  12. Interesting post but what i really love is your cooker , i Wish we could get them like that in the uk xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, MSCVFL, Thank you for commenting. This company was in Santa Monica, back in the fifties. It is a fabulous stove that will last forever. I got mine used, after the economy tanked.

      Delete
  13. Climbing into snuggly flannelette sheets on a cold winter's night has got to be one of the perks of the season. Pop a hot water bottle in there while you brush your teeth and then you can climb into a fluffy warm bed. Utter bliss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds heavenly, Cherie. I've never used a hot water bottle. I used to use a heating pad when my hips were bad. Now that they are replaced I don't need it anymore.

      Delete
  14. Ahhh! Lanz flannel nightgowns! I used to have several when I lived in southern California! We did not have central air or heating, and the miniscule floor/wall register was appropriated by my tiny Chihuahua. She always was cold and we had to fight her for foot space first thing in the morning!

    We bought my cousin and her husband their first set of Lanz flannel sheets about 40 years ago. They bought their daughter her first set the following year and alternated each year until they had several sets. Their daughter missed her Lanz sheets when she went to boarding school and they had extra-long twin beds in the dorms through university. She really appreciated her Lanz sheets when she was home! :)


    Taja

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Taja, I didn't know that Lanz made flannel sheets. I will have to research them. I just love their nightgowns. They are so well made. I'm sure yours came in handy with no central air or heating. I try not to use my heater. I keep warm with the alpaca throws and flannel nightgown.

    ReplyDelete