Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Enjoying Beeswax and Honey

roses and salvia



As I'm writing this post, I'm enjoying a fragrant cup of fruit tea sweetened with raw, wild, organic honey. What is it about honey that is so compelling? I adore it. I have my new beeswax candle burning. It gives a soft, warm glow to my little cottage. The color is so natural and soothing. It reminds me of the different shades of brown and tan that my homemade goat's milk soaps are. They don't need any artificial colors, The temperature of the milk predicts what shade they will be. Sometimes it gives them a carmelized, marbled effect. I have a preference for the natural yarns, as well. Something about the colors of nature is so appealing. Black from a llama or alpaca is different that the look of black dye. It's all there, if we observe and absorb.

white geraniums


I have been using a cream that I bought at Costco a few years ago. It's called Egyptian Magic. It had been sitting in my medicine cabinet, unused. Something made me want to try it again, and to read the label. "How interesting," I thought, the ingredients are almost all from bees! They are: olive oil, beeswax, honey, bee pollen, royal jelly extract, and bee propolus. It's a thick salve that feels a bit oily. It absorbs well into the skin, though. I use it on my face, hands, and fee.  It complements the homemade soaps that I shower with nicely.

the artistically landscaped parking lot at Bennett Honey Farm


It's funny that after being stung by two bees recently I am suddenly becoming very interested in using products made with beeswax and honey.  I find it interesting. A couple of weeks ago I felt the pain of the stingers, and now I am reaping the benefits of what bees can produce. The dark and light of it is very spiritual. I always loved the make-up and lotions made by Burt's Bees. I still use his lipsticks and lip crayons. Everything with these ingredients feels so nourishing on the skin.

shea butter goat's milk soap

I added some more photos from my trip to the honey farm yesterday. Someone put a lot of thought and care into their garden. It's so healthy and welcoming. 

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. 

14 comments:

  1. Oh how I love your Christmas soap. Tony and I love everything about Christmas and it begins on the 1st of December here. We decorate every room with Christmas items.. even the two bathrooms get a tiny tree and decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie. That's the fir tree mold from Milky Way Molds. I bet your decor is beautiful.

      Delete
  2. It is interesting that you are connecting with honey after recently being stung, now that’s amazing, so much goes on in our life that we have no idea of, I find it fascinating and no coincidence, life is such s mystery! Beautiful photos, beautiful soaps too, I have horrible sensitivities and reactions to scents that the only soap I use is old fashioned bar soap ivory, that’s it, I love your hand made soaps but I have never had any luck with any , I have reactions to the ones I have tried,😕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's too bad. For someone like you, I recommend unscented soap that has cured at least three months. I used to use Ivory, too.

      Delete
  3. As always the photos of the bee farm look amazing. What a wonderful place to spend some time. You are such a wonderful writer Stephenie. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the connection between inner peace and exploring the natural elements all around us. Nature is so healing and comforting. It is a shame more people don't take the time to appreciate all it has to offer us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anita. It is very rewarding to connect to nature. The bees are calling me. I find them fascinating. The monks were very involved with beekeeping.

      Delete
  4. When I saw the first photo on this post I thought you must have changed the color of your cottage. Hahaaa I love your pink cottage, and I was glad to realize that the blue building was of the honey farm. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, The cottage is still pink! I love it, too. No plans to change it...

      Delete
  5. I had some free samples of skincare products made with the same ingredients from bees and it was really nice, and I do enjoy trying different honey, for years I couldn't stand it but my tastes have changed and I really enjoy and appreciate it, 🐝 bees are so important in all they do. I love fruit and herbal teas I sometimes make my own with herbs from the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice that you make your own fruit and herbal teas. I want to get into that again. I did take a bath in homemade lavender tea last night. I love the calming effect of herbs.

      Delete
  6. I love beeswax candles, the scent is just beautiful. Perhaps those stings have turned your consciousness towards bees. Lovely soap roo! Meg🐝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the scent, too. It's so natural and sweet. Maybe you are right, Meg. Something has definitely shifted.

      Delete
  7. Hi! I try to buy raw organic honey also...heard it was healthier. There are several small farms that do that in my area. Pretty flowers. I love natural colors too (such as in soap) and your soap looks great! I know it is not as easy to work with goats milk in the soap process. Your Costco cream ingredients are nice! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Andrea, I love how those ingredients make my skin feel. I soap at a cooler temperature when making goat's milk soap. I let the oils cool for a couple of hours before stirring the lye into the frozen milk. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete