Monday, October 15, 2018

A Vintage 1940's Chair For $25.00


Yesterday my neighbor around the corner was having a garage sale, so I stopped by to see what she was selling. She had a couple of gorgeous antique lamps, but I really don't have the space for them. She was sitting on this royal looking chair, and I commented on it. It's such a special piece. The label says Grand Rapids Quality. She told me that they were a high end furniture store back in the 1940's, and that it still had the plastic on it when she bought it. It looks like new, and is very comfortable. I think the color scheme is divine. I love the detail, especially the little tacks all along the edge.


She sold it to me because she has two of them, and doesn't have enough space in her living room. Initially I walked away from the chair, because I didn't either.  I decided to make room. Deals like this don't come around that often, so I donated a small table, my television, VCR, and DVD player to the Salvation Army. The house feels so much better. It's a petite cottage, and I don't want it to feel cluttered or claustrophobic. My mom taught me that a small house needs small furniture. The chair looks like it was made to be here. What a gift.  She also told me that antiques go together. They don't have to match.


I made a loaf of cranberry orange bread the other day. The recipe uses orange juice, which makes the bread very moist. It only has a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil in it. My neighbor stopped by yesterday for a visit, and we each enjoyed a slice together on the front porch. The garden was lush and green from the recent rain.


It was starting  to get chilly, so we came inside where it was warm. I was glad that I had been doing my cleaning projects each day. I had just oiled the vintage furniture and antiques. They look so much better now. The wood seems to really absorb the oil.  


I made another batch of Shea Butter Goat's Milk Soap last week. I am stocking up for holiday orders. I think the next ones I do I will scent with cranberry fragrance oil. I love that aroma.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much energy and talent to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

14 comments:

  1. I bet the kitchen smelt divine while it was cooking.
    The chair is just my taste. I wonder why modern furniture is so big and bulky. That chair looks so much prettier than a boxy square modern style. It would make me feel very elegant to sit on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherie. I love the shape of it, too. The furniture they make now is too oversized for my little 1940's cottage. I think they make the furniture larger because so many of the houses are huge. Also, people are bigger and heavier now. (at least in America.)

      Delete
  2. It’s a lovely chair, I can understand why you wanted to make room for it. I always think your soaps look so appealing, I do have a basic soap making kit to try out, I’d love to make soaps like yours, beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. I bet your soaps will be gorgeous. It's a rewarding hobby, and the soaps make excellent gifts.

      Delete
  3. The chair is lovely. I love the fabric. I also like the story of how you made room for it by culling out other pieces. As always-your soaps look so nice. I bet they will sell fast. Getting any Santa Ana winds up your way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Thank you. It feels SO GOOD to declutter! I need to do a little of that each day. It has been windy here, but it's not too bad. The sun is shining today. My sheets dried very quickly on the clothesline yesterday.

      Delete
  4. The chair is beautiful, Stephenie. What a deal for $25!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Nil. Yes, it was a terrific deal. All of my furniture is used, and I love it. I bought each piece in this room at The Salvation Army for $20.00. (except the new chair.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely chair! It suits your room beautifully. It's nice to be able to combine beauty and function--particulaly at an incredible price--isn't it?

    Donating your television and accessories made me smile. My television (all 22" of screen) logs more time as a computer monitor than as a television. Terrific for large spreadsheets! lol


    Taja

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sure is, Taja. I have a large screen for my computer, too. I love it for blogging. Thanks for the compliment on the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving that chair but that stove is great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Pam. Isn't it fabulous? I found it in The Recycler. I had it repaired and brought up to code. It's a fantastic stove. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lucky find with that chair!

    I'm glad to read your getting some rain and that your garden is looking lovely, the dry heat can be so disheartening.

    XX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Emma, Sorry it took me so long to answer this comment. Yes, I agree about the chair. Thanks. It is getting a lot of use!

    ReplyDelete