Saturday, October 6, 2018

A Beautiful Hike


Yesterday I took Lula hiking at Vasquez Rocks. It's such a gorgeous setting. The weather was perfect. We started on the Pacific Coast Trail, and then switched over to the equestrian trail.


The sky was a bright shade of  blue, and  it was crystal clear. I let Lula run off the leash. She was overjoyed to be free. There weren't many hikers on the trail.  Everyone that we encountered was very friendly. I've got to take Lula hiking more often; the trails in this area are some of the finest in California. The Pacific Crest Trail has  been filmed in the movies. It was the setting for Wild, starring Reese Witherpoon. 


Today I went shopping and bought a few things that I needed.  I found a pair of brown clogs at Ross. They are good quality  leather and  feel extremely comfortable.  I love clogs because you can  slip them on easily. I also bought my first pair of Birkenstocks' sandals. I found them at T.J. Maxx. They only had one pair, and they were exactly my size. They were expensive, but the reviews say that they last for years and years. Everyone raves about how comfortable they are. My ballet teacher used to wear them. As a teenager, I hated the way they looked, but this pair is a very cute, casual style.

I wore them for several hours at home today. I'm sorry to say that my feet are killing me. I feel like I have been walking on marbles. Hopefully it's temporary. I think the cork has to form to match the shape of your bones. I can't believe how my feet feel now. They are practically throbbing. It's ironic. Fortunately I have plenty of other shoes that are broken in and fit well.  I hope that these become as comfortable as everyone says that they will.  Supposedly it takes a week.  Do any of you have Birkenstocks? How do you like them? They are very sturdy and well made. I love to buy quality shoes and clothing that last for years and years.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If  you enjoy the posts here, please share them.   

8 comments:

  1. I am interested in whether your feet will settle in them, Stephenie, because I am considering buying a pair. I wear orthotics now, a lot of the time, because of my sore foot but I know many people say how comfortable these shoes are and I am considering trying them to wear sometimes during our hot Summers. The skies above on your hike look so gorgeous, I love big wide blue skies. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the skies on that hike, too, Meg. The Birkenstock sandals already feel better today. I will keep you posted. I think they would be ideal in the hot weather. Right now I am wearing hand knit wool socks and slippers.

      Delete
  2. Hi Stephenie, I have to say that Birkenstocks are an acquired taste but I do know that wearers are devoted to them. Not for me just yet! However ... my elderly neighbour gave me a pair of new shoes which she couldn't wear as the small heel gave her the wobbles - they are colourful Mary Jane's with velcro attachments on the strap - and I always swore I'd never wear shoes with velcro!

    I haven't been around here for a while, so am glad to see you're doing so well. I've had a name change in the meantime :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pipistrello, Welcome back! Thanks for the information. I'm hoping I adjust to them, because they cost $80.00. I think it will just take time and patience. My dad has a pair of shoes with Velcro, and he loves them.

      Delete
  3. No Birkenstocks for me. My career required closed toe and heel shoes so sandals have never been a thing for me. I am a sock and sneakers kind of old lady!! I enjoyed the photos of your hike. Our house is adjacent to the San Dieguito River Park with lots of wonderful trails. I am so happy the weather has cooled off so I can enjoy hiking once again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am, too, Anita. The weather has been glorious! The plants seem so much happier and aren't stressed. I was reading on a blog about Birkentstocks that you should just wear them for a couple of hours a day the first few times. She said that it takes two weeks for them to break in completely. My feet are much happier now that I don't subject them to several hours of stress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never worn Birkenstocks, but I've heard it's a very good brand. It's not my style. 😊
    I hope you will soon find them comfortable.

    Looks like you have the perfect weather for hiking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, This pair is really cute. They don't look like the traditional Birkenstocks. I thought they were Italian sandals in the store. I love Italian shoes! They are slowly breaking in, but still have a long way to go...

      Delete