Tuesday, September 18, 2018

La La Simple Shawl Photos and New Development


Some of you asked to see the shawl after blocking, so I took a couple of photos today. It looks much better on, (I think,) but I forgot to have someone take a photo today at my knitting group. I don't like the burgundy background clashing with the pink, but oh well. It's a definitely a new favorite in my wardrobe. It goes with so many of my sun dresses. I think that shawls are the perfect accessory. I love their versatility. This one looks nice hanging low in back, or wrapped with the pattern in front, as it is in the photo. I'm going to use the leftover yarn to make another one for my little neighbor. Hers will be pink and wine. It's not that shade of the couch; don't worry. 


While I was working on my sweater today, I realized that I had accidentally used size 11 needles after joining the sleeves to the body, instead of the 10.5's. I noticed that the stitches felt super tight when I switched from the double pointed needles to the circulars. I should have double checked the size  when I felt that strange tightness. It didn't occur to me. Oh well. I'm just glad that I caught it. I had screwed on the stoppers so that I could try on the sweater. I LOVE how it's looking on the body. The yarn  hangs so beautifully. Anyway, I didn't realize what happened until I forgot to bring the needles with me to my knitting group. I left them on my coffee table. There's so much to remember in knitting. All of the details can make you a little nutty.  It will be an easy fix, though. I don't mind. It's a fun pattern, and it will give me more time to enjoy it.
    
I recently found out that there are immediate plans to develop the land near my house.  I am so excited about it! They are planning on adding a train and bus station, four high end restaurants, cafes, a lake, a fancy hotel, and much more. I have always hoped that one day the city would put some money into this side of town. They do beautiful work, and have hired Los Angeles's best architects.  The plans look gorgeous. It will be so nice to have walking paths, bike paths, and sidewalks. I have been walking my dogs down the shoulder of the  highway for the past twenty years, and this will be a huge improvement. It was always so industrial, and kind of depressing. But, it was what I could afford, so I tried to look on the bright side.  I had always imagined having quaint little shops and restaurants, and now it's coming true! What they have envisioned is far beyond what I dreamed of seeing. It will still have the feel of the country in my neighborhood, but the convenience of the city will be just a few blocks from home. They are hoping that people will give up their cars. I think this is a great direction. I have already been using public transportation regularly, and just driving across town once a week. Can you use the bus or train where you live?

23 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Angela. I love the colors. It goes well with so many things that I already have.

      Delete
  2. Oh that shawl does look nice. And what great news about the land development. I am lucky in that the train stops around the corner from where I live. It takes 12 minutes to get into town and is super cheap compared to the buses. The bus takes 40 minutes and cost £4.50 return. The trains cost £2.05 during rush hour or £1.80 off peak... (after 09.00)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's excellent, Cherie. I would love to be able to walk to the train station. It may get to the point here where we don't need cars. Our freeways are very clogged right now. I'm so pleased that they are investing so much money into public transportation.

      Delete
  3. excellent! It looks like an early spring sunrise...You will get lots of fashion mileage from this shawl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks jill. Yes, I agree. I already have. It's become one of my favorites. I may knit another lightweight shawl with some 100% linen yarn that I have in my stash. It was given to me by the same woman who gave me the grey yarn that I'm using for the Carbeth sweater. Quality fiber!

      Delete
  4. Your shawl is beautiful....I love the ombre color placement. I'm excited for your excitement of the development of land near you...that will also help your home values increase. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea. I love the way the colors bleed into each other. You are right about our home values. It is going to totally change the feel here.

      Delete
  5. The shawl is beautiful. Thank you for sharing it. I think you will get a lot of use out of it all year long. What wonderful news about the development of your neighborhood. Here we are far from any convenient public transportation, but as you know, down south in the urban part of San Diego there is excellent public transportation options that can take you all over the west coast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. It's perfect for shielding against the air conditioning when I'm out on errands. Yes, I was very impressed with the buses, trolleys, and trains when I visited San Diego. Having them close to where you live is such a bonus. I hope that they do the same thing where you are, (if you want it.) I was so impressed with the scooters there, too.

      Delete
  6. So pretty Stephenie 🌼

    The new plans sound exciting I am happy for you.

    Transport in our area is quite good for trains and buses.

    Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi fiona, That's wonderful that you have excellent trains and buses. I loved the transit systems in Europe when I lived there.

      Delete
  7. The bus service in Denver and the suburbs is available and pretty well used. I even was able to take an express bus to get to work when I moved to the mountains. All students and staff at the University of Denver have been offered free passes for the last 20 years in order to cut down on traffic and because there is not much parking for students and staff. Within the last 10 years or so, the light rail service has expanded and improved. One can even take the train from downtown to the airport!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fantastic idea, giving the staff free passes to cut down on traffic! What an incentive. I would love to be able to take a train to the airport. We can do it to Burbank, but for LAX we need to take a shuttle or Flyaway Bus.

      Delete
  8. Your shawl is beautiful.

    With new plans for development, I'm sure the prices of homes will go up as well. I've read that houses are extremely expensive in CA. You are lucky to find an affordable house, and with these new plans the area will be much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure will, Nil. They already have. I think it will make the area cleaner, brighter, more lively, and elegant. I am excited to see the architecture. This part of town is kind of run down, so the investment will make a huge difference.

      Delete
  9. Oh, I’m so happy for you about the new plans for your neighborhood! How exciting! I, too, would love a little shopping district and restaurant close to home. What fun it will be for you to watch it come to fruition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney. It is a very creative plan. I am really pleased with all that they plan on doing. Being able to walk up the street to an outdoor cafe really appeals to me.

      Delete
  10. The shawl is beautiful!

    No buses where I live, but I'm excited for you that they will be putting in a lovely new development near you, what a nice surprise! I would love to have an easy walk to a nice cafe, or to be able to walk to grab a few bits from the local shops.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, Yes, it's very exciting. There will be a huge train and bus station just a few miles from my house. It will make traveling much easier. You can hop on a bus and be in Hollywood in thirty minutes.

      Delete
  11. Your shawl is lovely! The plans for your area sound like they will improve the area around where you live, public transport is always handy when it is close by. Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, Thank you, I love the shawl. It's amazing how much money they are spending. I have been researching these projects. California has a one billion dollar grant to improve the public trains. Instead of having to wait an hour or longer, they will run regularly. It's very exciting.

      Delete