Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Just In Time

Ojai, which is near Santa Barbara
 
Yesterday I had planned to take a day trip to Santa Barbara. I bought a round trip ticket on the Metro to Union Station, and then  was going to transfer to the Pacific Coast Starlight, (my favorite Amtrak train,) and eat lunch on the train.  There's something about enjoying a meal as you're roaring down the tracks that really makes people feel happy and excited.  I dropped Lula off at "dog camp" at 6:30 a.m.  She was overjoyed to be there.

I arrived in plenty of time to take the local commuter train. Unfortunately, it was 80 minutes late. If I had waited, I  would have missed my connecting train to Santa Barbara. I discussed it with a woman I had been chatting with at the platform and tried to figure out  what to do.  My head was spinning.  Fortunately, I had the schedule with me.  If you miss your train on Amtrak, you lose the money. I almost just gave up and went home.

Instead, I decided to try driving to one of the stations further north, rather than trying to get downtown in rush hour traffic. All of a sudden it occurred to me that I could drive down  I5 to Burbank Airport. They have an Amtrak station there, and the Pacific Coast Starlight would stop at that station at 10:30 a.m.  I wasn't sure if I would make it in time, but decided to try.

It turns out I arrived with an hour to spare! I parked the car in Lot G and walked up to the platform. Once there, I conversed with a friendly lady sitting on the bench who was on her way to visit her sister. She's a crocheter, and she complimented me on the hand knit shawl that I was wearing.   We had an enjoyable conversation. She loves to travel, too. 

Everything worked out for the best, and I boarded the train that I had a ticket for at the third station, Burbank Airport,  instead of at the first one. It's fortunate that I had purchased my ticket in advance. I didn't think I could make it to Van Nuys station on the 405 at that time, and I also wasn't quite sure where it was.

I met some friendly people on the train, especially in the Observation Car, which has spectacular floor to ceiling views.  We devoured a delicious hot lunch on the train. I had a cheeseburger, and it was delicious. Our table overlooked the ocean. It was breathtaking to take in the scenery.  Our server was so friendly and kind.

 Train travel is my favorite way to go. It's so comfortable and easy. I love the space and ability that you have to move around in the cars.  Our roomy seats leaned back and had foot rests. It's an ideal space to knit or read.    Photos and info about Santa Barbara are here:  www.downtownsb.org

If you click on Transportation you can see my train. Have you done much traveling by rail?

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

 

12 comments:

  1. I love trains. DH and I travelled 3000km last year through the Blue Mountains in Australia to Canberra and Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful, earthmotherwithin. I plan to visit a friend there next year.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful day! And I'm glad you worked out the train and didn't miss out! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea, it worked out beautifulily. Los Angeles traffic takes strategy and timing.

      Delete
  3. That was good thinking on your part to drive to the Burbank station to catch your train! Sounds like a wonderful trip! Hope you had a lovely day in SB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was, Bless. I like that train station, too. It's nice and quiet.

      Delete
  4. That's sounds like an amazing day out. I love travelling by train too. Just sit back and enjoy the journey... bliss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, Yes, it was fabulous! I'm really excited about this pass. You can use it to go to San Francisco, Vegas, and Yosemite, too.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you had a perfect day. Clever thinking to head toward Burbank for the Amtrak. Will you post about your Santa Barbara adventure? As you know-it is on my agenda to get up there one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Thanks. Fortunately, my intuition had been guiding me to consider Burbank as my starting point the previous day. I wasn't sure if I would have to take a shuttle. They used to be separate stations with different tracks. This was ideal.

      Delete
  6. It sounds like you had a lovely day.
    I love train rides, but haven’t taken one for years. I used to take the train for trips while in Sri Lanka, and in France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil. I took one from Paris to Barcelona with a friend. We had a sleeper car. we shared it with another couple. From there, we took a ferry to Mallorca.

      Delete