Tuesday, July 23, 2019

When A Train Pass Isn't Worth It

The bus stop in Santa Monica at Ocean Avenue and Colorado


I decided I will probably not to use the rest of the days I have left on my California Rail Pass. I didn't realize how many hidden costs there would be. To go to Yosemite, I had to book Lula at the kennel for three nights.  They charge $35.00 a night.  My lodging was $41.00, and hers was $105.00!

It also requires extra gas and train fare to pick up the hard copies of the tickets. Normally you can print out an eticket with Amtrak.. If you are using the California Rail Pass, though, you have to visit a station with a ticket counter.  My station doesn't have one. I have to travel to Van Nuys, Union Station, or Bakersfield.

I also have spent a lot of money on eating out in July. Normally, I cook and prepare all of my meals. It's amazing how quickly those extra expenses add up!  Even though most of the places that I ate were very reasonable, it was still money I normally don't spend each month. I was shocked at the totals.

I've realized that I can just take the city bus to the beach on the weekends, and pack a lunch. That's the cheapest way to go. Santa Monica is as gorgeous and enjoyable as many of the top travel spots in California. I might as well enjoy it. It's only thirty miles from me.

I am a;sp so close to many of the most scenic hiking trails in this area.  The other night I hiked the Pacific Crest Trail with Lula. We went just as the sun was slipping behind the mountains.  It was so cool and relaxing. I normally don't hike in the early evening, but I really enjoyed it. We got back to the car before it was dark.

How is your summer going? Are you any fun, outdoor activities?

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

14 comments:

  1. The trails looks amazing. What a lovely time of day to go for a hike.
    I remember my days of dog ownership and how the kennels fees were usually more expensive than my own accommodation. Having Mog makes it so much easier now. If I just go away for an evening or two she is fine to be left. Anything longer than that she goes to the cattery. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, Yes, dog kennels are expensive, but she is worth it. The Pacific Crest Trail is awesome. It was in the movie Wild, starring Reese Witherspoon.

      Delete
  2. Such a shame it all didn't work out as planned. The hidden costs certainly mount up very quickly. We are managing to get out and about and have plans to visit family next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mm, Oh, I'm still happy with the trips that I took. It was a great deal.

      Delete
  3. We are having a mini heatwave at the moment so its just too darned hot to do anything. Thankfully it rained through the night so my poor parched garden had a lovely drink. My hollyhock looks stunning this year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, I love hollyhocks. They are my favorite old fashioned flower.

      Delete
  4. Your post is a good reminder to take all the costs of travel into consideration, including pet care and meals out. Maybe you can use your train pass for day trips where you won't have to board Lula?

    My summer is coming along nicely. I don't do a lot of outdoor activities; I live a rather sedentary life, I'm afraid. I don't travel much, either. The last time I went away, overnight, was in June 2016, when I attended my daughter's graduation. :) I can't believe that was 3 years ago, already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, Yes, there are many hidden costs. Even day trips require a Metro ticket to pick up the paper copy of the Amtrak ticket.

      Delete
  5. As fun as traveling is, and good memories, traveling is always expensive. Your day trips sound very rejuvenating and fun! I like walking the best and just enjoying a nice day! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, I rode my bike on a new local bike trail today, and it was fabulous! I also met a really sweet girl on the bus on the way home. Glad to hear you are enjoying your walks.

      Delete
  6. I am sorry that the hidden costs of your travels causes you despair. Luckily we both live so close to the best vacation areas on the planet! Our house is one block away from a trailhead entry to the Crest to Coast San Dieguito River Park Reserve. The trail(s) start at Vulcan Mountain in the east part of San Diego County and go all the way (well almost all the way)to the Pacific Ocean at Del Mar. A small section requires you to walk along the highway and another small section has not been purchased by the River Park Authority yet. Wonderful hikes are only steps away for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Oh no, I'm not feeling despair, I'm just aware. I keep a certain amount in savings for emergencies. That is more important to me...financial security. That trail that you described sounds gorgeous!

      Delete
  7. Those little things really add up. Like Bless said, see if you can you the pass for day trips.
    The main reason I don’t keep a pet is that I can’t afford boarding them when I travel.

    I don’t do much outdoor activities except gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, I considered more day trips, but the cost of the Metro ticket makes them a bit too expensive for my budget. I know that you love to travel, too. Without pets, I bet it is much cheaper. Still, I have to have my doggie for her company and love...

      Delete