Thursday, July 18, 2019

An Overnight Stay at a Hostel in Yosemite

mountains near the 14 freeway  in Canyon Country, California


Last night I returned from a wonderful train trip to Yosemite, California. I used my California Rail Pass with Amtrak. It gives you seven days of travel in a twenty-one day period for $159.00. They don't advertise it; you have to ask for it.  It's an incredible deal! I discovered a wonderful hostel online with excellent prices. I booked a dorm room for $41.00. Since I took public transportation there, I received a 15% discount on everything: my simple but comfortable room, meals, the spa, and all beverages.

I got up at 2:30 a.m. and watered my garden. We are only allowed to water on Tuesdays and Fridays here. You can't miss a single day in this heat. I drove my VW Beetle up to Bakersfield, just past the Grapevine. I parked the car at the train station for free, and picked up a hard copy of my ticket at the window. One of the conditions of this pass is that you can't use etickets. You have to have a reservation, and retrieve a printed out ticket from an Amtrak ticket counter.

The train departed at 6:10 a.m. It was a relaxing and comfortable ride. Once we hit Merced, I transferred to the Yarts Bus, (which was covered with my Amtrak pass.) I walked up to The Bug Resort and had lunch at the Bug Cafe. The views were phenomenal. I just loved the healing, relaxing vibe of the whole place. I took a hike to the swimming hole, and waded in the water. There were wild blackberries growing along the trail. I picked them and enjoyed their warmth and sweetness.

After checking in, I bought a spa pass and enjoyed their natural hot tub, garden, and fantastic sauna. The setting was just magical. At dinner, a handsome young Australian man asked me if I was dining alone, and if I would like to eat with him. We became instant friends, and enjoyed our  meal and conversation.

After that, we sat out by the campfire and listened to two women performing some original songs on their guitar and violin. They sang beautifully together, and I really enjoyed the firelight, music, company, and atmosphere. I felt like I was with old friends. There were s'mores available to eat by the campfire, but I had already devoured a piece of homemade strawberry rhubarb pie from the June Bug Cafe.

That evening I met my roommate, who was from England. We introduced ourselves and chatted for a while. I offered her a plum, and we munched on them while studying her bus schedule into Yosemite Park where we planned to venture the next day. The cabin slept twelve, and there were just the two of us. We ended up having our own rooms, because Bev wanted to stay up and plan her journey.  I was so exhausted I couldn't comprehend the times or details.  I fell into my top bunk bed, wiped out from the altitude and the long, exciting day.

Have you ever stayed in a hostel? I adored  the company. Everyone I met was so friendly and open. It was like camp. We were all soaking up the setting and became instant friends.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.      

18 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a really fulfilling trip, Stephenie. The rail pass sounds like a great deal for travelling and seeing more places. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, It sure was. I'm amazed at the price of that rail pass.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a lovely get away! The resort sounds like a fun place to stay, too. I haven't stayed in a hostel, yet, but, maybe I'll try it, some time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, I absolutely loved it. The scenery was incredible. I loved being surrounded by the trees. It was so relaxing.

      Delete
  3. Stephenie, I loved reading this post. I almost felt that I was there on the trip with you. Tony and I plan to look into youth hosteling next year when my leg is better (it's getting better slowly). There are hostels all over Britain and the off season prices are very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, I'm so happy to hear that your leg is healing. I'm really interested in staying in more hostels now. I bet you and Tony would enjoy it, too.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jadiegosh, Thank you for reading and commenting. I'm sorry, but I don't publish comments with links.

      Delete
  5. You are such a good trip planner! Sounds like so much fun, and you met such nice people. Maybe you could start a little business taking others with you! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, Thank you. It was wonderful. I just share the information on my blog, and then people can try it if they feel inclined.

      Delete
  6. I've not stayed in a hostile, but I can't tell you how many times I've been car sick on that road through Yosemite! My g-parents lived in Bishop, and we lived in the valley. It is beautiful though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to get car sick as a child, too. I have stopped in Bishop while driving from Reno to LA. It's pretty.

      Delete
  7. It sounds wonderful, what an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mereknits. It was! I am looking forward to returning.

      Delete
  8. It sounds like a lovely trip, Stephenie. I was wondering why you didn't post for a few days, and was about to send you a message. :)

    I have stayed in a hostel only once. I took the train from Paris to Amsterdam and stayed in a hostel there, with a group of friends. I wouldn't have done it if I had been by myself though. You are brave. It's a nice way to meet new friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. I really have the bug now. I always have a lot in common with people who love traveling. Your European adventure sounds like fun.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like a wonderful trip. I haven't stayed in a hostel for years but used to do it years ago. Glad you met some like minded people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mamasmercantile. The energy in Yosemite was phenomenal.

      Delete