Sunday, August 4, 2019

Keeping Up An Exercise Routine As You Age



When we exercise,  we are not just working our muscles, we are working our systems.  We have many of them: the cardiovascular system,  nervous system,  circulatory system,  reproductive system, and our lymphatic system.

One feeds the other. Just walking regularly makes a huge difference in how you age. We have become a very sedentary culture.  With all of the time people spend behind a computer screen and on their phones, they are losing the habit of being in the body.  Many no longer experience  the pleasure of being in excellent physical shape.

I enjoy walking barefoot on the beach.  The effort and energy it takes to walk on dry sand  really works the leg muscles. Riding a bike in the fresh air and sunshine is something that is carefree, exciting, and it gets the endorphins going.

Practicing yoga and the breathing exercises really helps one to feel calm, centered, and in tune with the truth.  Dedicated practice also keeps the body youthful.  It takes discipline to exercise each day, but it's totally worth it.  Your skin, body, and hair will reflect your health.

I rode the bus with a friend yesterday and he commented, "You and Carmela just don't age." It was so sweet of him.  Carmela, (another bus regular,) is in her eighties, is very disciplined, and she walks miles each day.  She used to be a hula dancer.  People that stay physical as they get older feel better, and they have an easier time maintaining emotional balance.  Among other benefits, exercise discharges negative energy.

What kind of workout do you do?  How does it help you?

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.   

8 comments:

  1. Lots of gardening, housework and walking. I try to walk at least 4 miles 4 days a week at a 3.5 mile per hour pace. I also love to hike and do quite a bit of it when it is cooler.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Anita. I do the same things, and it really makes a difference.

      Delete
  2. Um...no comment! LOL. I really, really, need to get back into a regular movement routine. I used to take dance classes 5-6 days a week, at one time! Then, the dance studio closed and I took one class a week with one of the teachers from the former studio for a time, but, the class time didn't work out for me, and I stopped. Since then, I've tried walking, but, don't do enough of it. Like I said, I really need to get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Those dance classes must have really been fun, Bless. It's too bad the studio closed.

      Delete
  3. I'm feeling (and looking) very out of shape at the moment. I'm looking forward to being able to enjoy more time for exercise by Autumn. Walking, running and cycling are what I enjoy the most. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like you love the outdoors, Jules. I am looking forward to Autumn, too.

      Delete
  4. I too need to start exercising again.

    There was a time I did yoga every evening for one hour. That was as a grad student, with all my studies. Now I should have more time, but I keep postponing it.

    ReplyDelete