Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Thinking Ahead Twenty Years

heading towards Naples on NCL's  Epic


As you get older, time seems to pass more quickly.  I remember my dad telling me that it is like a cassette tape.  As the tape plays, there is less of it left on the left side. It speeds up at the end of the tape, spinning until it is all on the right.

What will your life be like in twenty years?  Where will you live?  Will you stay in your current home, or do you plan to move?  It helps to visualize the steps that we need to take in order to transition into our future.

I plan to travel in my fifties and sixties.  On the agenda is a cruise to Greece, Italy, and Mallorca.  I booked it a year in advance and got an excellent deal.  I also enjoy visiting my friends in Las Vegas and New York, and attending our reunions and get togethers.  These dancers are my show business family, and I feel very close to them.  We met in our twenties, and now we area growing old together. 

My little cottage is perfect for retirement.  It has everything I need;  it's simple and modest.  Many people move several times in their life.  Once I bought this home, I really put down roots.  I have always loved California, especially the mild weather.  Now that I've discovered the Beach Bus, I can see staying here forever.  How about you?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.   

17 comments:

  1. Another thought provoking post, Stephenie. With my on-going health issues, I am not sure if I would be alive in 10 years, let alone 20! LOL! For now, I plan to live in my own home, but, I'm willing to relocate if I have to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, Thank you. It sounds like your home is ideal. You have things set up so well for old age.

      Delete
  2. no idea where i will be in 20 years, too far ahead for me to even contemplate. i like how you think though, always ready & booked for your cruises & trips.
    i don't even know if i will still be here in this little house, am hoping not as would love to try to get something smaller in the mountains with more acreage, perhaps; hopefully the kids might buy into something later.
    in the meantime i need to make the most of it & just make it comfortable for now.
    great post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, It helps me to plan and prepare, financially. I know what you mean about desiring a mountain property. I'm looking at some homes up in a local ski area tomorrow. It's so gorgeous up there!

      Delete
  3. I don't really like to think too far ahead. Planning holidays a year in advance is enough for me. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jules, I like to plan holidays, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well since I am 62, thinking ahead 20 years is really scary! lol.
    But, enjoy your younger age because I wish I didn't "hurry through" my 50's! If I could do it over, I'd enjoy each day and try to sit more in silence to make the day last longer! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, That's interesting to hear your perspective. I meditate every day. It's very helpful.

      Delete
  6. In twenty years I’ll be in my late 50’s. My kids will be adults, and my parents and husbands’ parents will be elderly. I plan to be available to them. To help my daughters with their babies, to help our parents with the challenges of old age, etc... I’m looking forward to downsizing, too. Maybe a quaint little cottage somewhere by water would be nice for my husband and I. What nice thoughts! Thanks, Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Courtney, A quaint little cottage sounds lovely. I think you will be very happy as you age.

      Delete
  7. I’m not sure where I’ll be in 20 years. I’ll be retiring (or hopefully a bit early). I’d like to think I’ll stay here in this house, but you never know. Especially because I have family obligations....

    I like planing for retirement because no natter where I will be that’s going to help.
    I also Iike planning holidays. 😁

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like planning for it, too, Nil. It's great that you have your home, either way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In 20 years I will be in my 80's! Grim thought indeed. But I come from a long lived bunch-too mean to die as my mom used to say-so I suspect I will still be right here in this house. That certainly is the plan as of today! Steve and I work on staying healthy so we can enjoy traveling and hobbies as we get older. Only 13 months until our cruise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom sounds funny, Anita. Yes, that cruise that you have planned sounds so exciting. It's great that you plan to stay in your house long term.

      Delete
  10. I won’t be retired yet in 20 years; I’ll be 61. The estimated age of retirement for people born in 1978 is 70+.
    I think in 20 years, I’ll have a small modest home like you and may adopt children. Then again, I can’t have too small a house, or I won’t be able to adopt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Akasha. Maybe a smallish home...The one I'm buying in the mountains is 824 square feet. It has two bedrooms and two bathrooms. Now I finally have space for visitors!

      Delete
  11. I just hope that in 20 years time I will be healthy enough to enjoy life. A small, easy to maintain apartment would suit me fine. I'd like to live close to at least one of my children, see lots of my family and still have friends around me

    ReplyDelete