Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Saving Money on Fruit



During the summer, I eat a tremendous amount of fruit.  From June until October, our weather is very hot and dry.  Eating watermelon and other melons helps to cool the body down, and the taste is divine.  I add some fresh lime juice to mine, it really brings out the flavor of the  fruit.

Yesterday I stewed the rest of the rhubarb that I had purchased last week.  I added some water and sugar, and let it simmer on the stove for about twenty minutes.  I stored it in a rectangular pyrex dish, and chilled it in the refrigerator.  It's so refreshing to enjoy as a snack.  I've been trying to eat less baked goods, and find that  the stewed fruit is just as delectable as a cobbler, crisp, or pie.

Today I bought some nectarines that were only .50 a pound.  The bananas are always a good deal, but when it's super hot I slice them up and store them in the fridge with the sliced melon.  Otherwise they get brown, mushy,  and overly ripe.

I defrosted some bbq sauce that I had made a while back and stored in the freezer.  It was delicious on the chicken breast filets that I picked up on sale at the Armenian market today.  I rode the bus to the store and back home with my friends.  We always have a animated chat  when we see each other.  It's a little public transportation community.  Some of them ride the Beach Bus, as well. 

I came home to an Etsy order for six goat's milk soaps, in the blueberry scent.  I was elated.  I still get so excited every time I make a sale.  I checked my supplies and there is still have plenty of the blueberry fragrance oil.  It's one of my favorites.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on another sale, Stephenie.

    Nectarines for $0.50 / pound is a great deal. I love nectarines and peaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephenie, I love hearing what you are up to. Have you ever tried Tajin chili-lime seasoning? It is so, so good on many types of fruit, including watermelon, mangoes, fresh coconut, etc. It's also delicious on cucumbers. --Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stewed rhubarb, served with custard, was a favorite dessert when I was a child.
    You are making me want some!

    Glad to hear that you have a new order for your soap. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whenever I see berries on offer during the summer I buy extra. I then freeze the extra separating each berry. I store them in a large ice cream tub that I fill over time. They taste extra special in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so pleased for you having a sizeable order for your soaps. It gives one such a boost doesn't it. And I love soft fruits in the Summer too. At the moment I am eating big lush black cherries which my daughter gave me, and which were grown locally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on another Esty sale! I love fruit also. My breakfast everyday is an orange and black coffee. We have one blueberry bush and it gives us lots of blueberries each summer. I keep them in the freezer and enjoy them frozen for a special treat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't eat a lot of fruit but love mangoes. When they are in season here, I buy a box and then slice and freeze them. I also freeze sliced banana then use in smoothies that my son likes.

    It must be lovely to receive an order for your handmade soaps, Stephenie. I'm sure they are just beautiful. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete