Monday, August 12, 2019

Reducing Your Expenses



Yesterday I took the Santa Clarita Beach Bus again to Santa Monica.  It only runs through the summer, so I want to take advantage of the low fare and opportunity while I can.  The ocean, as always, was gorgeous.  I rode a shared Breeze bike up Montana Avenue, along the popular beach path, and down Ocean Avenue.  The views are spectacular.  Each time I go, I enjoy it.  That $99.00 yearly membership has definitely been worth it.  I fell off the bike in the afternoon, but did not get hurt.  They  new models  are VERY heavy, and they tip over easily.  The key pads are much better, though.  The guy in front of me fell over on his, too.  It you look at the scenery, and slip from the pavement onto the sand, it's over.  The bike starts tipping and it's not light enough to adjust like a normal bike. Oh well. I met some friendly bike riders who asked if I was okay. Yes, just embarrassed.

I brought my Hermione's sock with me.  I have finished the gusset, and am now working on the foot. I should be able to complete today. It feels satisfying to be knitting from my stash yarn, kind of like eating up the leftovers.  It is so tempting to buy new wool, but I have plenty stored away for my retirement. So many people have given me their extra; I'm very fortunate.

I packed a snack to take to the beach.  I did splurge on a salad at a cafe on Montana Avenue, but will probably continue to bring a sandwich, fruit, and water from now on.  Eating out at restaurants really adds up quickly.  It can also become a habit, once you get started.  I asked the waitress if the salad came with bread and butter, and she answered, "We don't serve bread and butter."  She acted  horrified that someone would eat such a thing.  It seems like all the younger people here eat vegetarian, gluten free, and organic.  I might make a loaf of bread tonight.  It felt weird to have a salad without bread.  I guess it's part of the generation gap.

Instead of buying coffee, I waited until I got home and drank the leftovers that I had saved in my French press.  Santa Monica beach provides stations with free sunscreen, so I used theirs.  The dispensers squirt out a small amount when you place your hand beneath them.  I applied it liberally, all over my face and body.

I brought a library book with me for entertainment.  I am rereading The Money Class, by Suze Orman.  It's a very thorough book on what we learned from the last recession. The older I get, the more I understand it.

I did a load of laundry this morning with homemade laundry soap.  It's very hot, so the clothes will dry quickly out in the backyard.  Once they are folded and put away, I will mop the floors using homemade liquid soap and hot water.  I make a hot vinegar water for the rinse.  What are your plans for today?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.   

18 comments:

  1. You had such a nice day! (And glad you didn't get hurt on your bike). I enjoy Suze Orman. I learn a lot from her, not only on the PBS channel but when she wrote a column for the Costco magazine. I feel bread was a nutritious staple for so many years and now I wonder what these folks who don't eat it miss out on. I remember IKEA's meals even having bread/buns. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, I used to read that column, too. Yes, it used to be that bread was always served at restaurants. I guess those days are over. I have some proofing in the oven now.

      Delete
  2. Your socks are coming along so nicely! I like those colors.

    I'm glad you didn't get hurt when you fell off the bike! Too funny about the waitress being horrified you wanted bread and butter with your salad! But, good of you to continue to take your snacks with you and have that instead of eating out.

    Sounds like you are having a busy day! I went to my appointment with the podiatrist, today, and will do a load of laundry in a bit, water the garden, and take the trash cans to the curb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, Yes, I was not hurt at all. I just had a bruised ego. The snacks and packed lunches really help to save money. It's nice to sit in a restaurant, too, though.

      Delete
  3. I’m glad you weren’t hurt. It sounds like you had a very relaxing day.
    Packing snacks/lunch etc saves a lot of money. Whenever I go on day trips I pack food in a freezer bag. Sometimes I eat a pastry or a cup of coffee at a restaurant though. I think it’s more pleasurable because it’s once in a while treat. 😊

    I’ve been working on my online course in addition to regular house work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I like to do, too, Nil. Last week I had a bowl of soup at my favorite restaurant. Sometimes I'll get a cappucino, or a dessert. Hope the online course is going well.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like toy had a nice time, though the bikes sound a little iffy. I haven't been to the coast for a few years now. I'm due😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lady Locust, It is so beautiful. I just love it. Yes, I also had one of the new bikes tip over at the kiosk. The new construction seems a bit off.

      Delete
  5. Stephenie, I am glad to hear that you weren't hurt. You write so descriptively that I always feel that I am on the trip with you. When my leg has repaired my friend and I are planning a gentle bike ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, Thank you for the compliment. My brother told me the same thing, and that is my goal. It is so exciting to get back on the bike after hip replacement surgery. I remember feeling like I was soaring. I'm excited for you.

      Delete
  6. Another lovely day and what a wonderful idea to have free sunscreen available by the beach. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jules, Yes, it it. It seems to turn my skin white, but I shouldn't complain, since it's free.

      Delete
  7. I am glad to read you were not hurt in the accident. As for being embarrassed-my sorority housemother used to tell us girls after we did something mortifying "Oh well-remember 40 million Chinese did not see that." Interesting that the city gives away free sunscreen. That is such a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Yes, it's great, isn't it? I just have a bruise on my leg...no big deal.

      Delete
  8. Glad you are ok, eating out certainly does eat away the finances (no pun intended). Thanking for popping over to my blog, I will be posting on Frugal living most of the time now. I am now following you again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi FrugalLivingUK, Thanks. I am following you again, too. I'm so glad you are blogging again.

      Delete
  9. Sorry to hear about your accident on the bike. The last time I rode one I fell off too and was so bruised down one side that I haven't ridden since. We don't have many bike routes here and I'm nervous of traffic along ordinary roads. The cars & lorries don't seem to allow much room when passing a bike.
    Brilliant idea having free sunscreen available x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you would be nervous with traffic. I hope you find a safer place to ride, if you decide to try it again.

      Delete