Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Baking A Birthday Cake



Yesterday I baked a birthday cake for a little boy I know who was turning five.  He is just adorable.  I asked him what kind of cake he wanted, and he answered, "White, with chocolate brownie frosting."  I giggled at his description.

I found an old vintage recipe for a cake made with butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour, and baking powder.  My electric mixer had finally died, so I stirred the batter by hand.  I used a wooden spoon, like they used to do before everything went electric.  My chicken has been laying again, so I used two of her fresh eggs.

The frosting recipe that I chose is a truffle frosting.  It has whipped cream, melted chocolate chips, and Karo syrup.  You simmer all the ingredients on the stove.  After chilling it for two and a half hours, you whip the chocolate mixture.  It's really divine!

The cake was a hit.  I gave pieces to several friends and neighbors.  One sweet little two year old girl said to me, "Thank you, Grandma," as she smiled and ate her piece.  It was so cute!  I have never been called Grandma before; no wonder grandparents fall in love with their grandchildren.  It's so enjoyable to share the simple things with them.  We sang "Happy Birthday" and watched the birthday boy blow out the candles. 

I think having a slice of homemade cake brings out the child in all of us, even seniors.  It's been years since I had tasted a freshly baked cake.  The parties I attend usually order a cake from a bakery.  It was worth the effort.  Do you still bake cakes for birthdays in you family?  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

18 comments:

  1. It sounds like a delicious treat! I have my great-grandmother's cake and frosting recipes as well as the two platters she served them on, but I have yet to make the cake. My mom's birthday is the beginning of Oct. I should make one for her like her G-ma used to do :-) Thank you for this post! I hadn't thought of that until reading this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Locust. I hope you make the cake recipe. How wonderful to have the two platters your great grandmother used to use.

      Delete
  2. That is so lovely. Yes I do still bake a cake and enjoy every moment of it. Mine might not be professional looking but they do taste good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mamasmercantile, I know what you mean. Mine looked very simple and old fashioned. It did melt in our mouths, though.

      Delete
  3. Aw, sounds like the cake you made was appreciated by everyone! That was very sweet of you to make such a special cake!

    Yes, I still bake cakes, although not as much as I used to. I used to make all my daughter's birthday cakes and cakes for others in the family, too, as well as for co-workers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, Wow! It sounds like you were quite the baker. I made a lot of cakes as a child, and would bring a piece to the elderly neighbors. In those days, I used a cake mix. They still loved it.

      Delete
  4. Nothing beats home baking... I would have thoroughly enjoyed a slice of that cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, I agree. I wish I could have given you a slice.

      Delete
  5. It’s very sweet of you to make a cake for your little neighbor.

    I used to bake and decorate cakes for friends when I lived in Texas. Once I moved here, now I bake cakes only once a year or so. I don’t like cakes that much, and there’s only one friend here who still likes having a birthday cake. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. I really enjoyed it. I forgot what time consuming process it is. I don't know how my mom baked our birthday cakes with all of the other work involved in raising four kids. You don't like cakes that much? I love cake, always have...

      Delete
  6. Interesting frosting there! I have never heard of anything like it. But yes, I make cakes -not much good at the icing (frosting) part of it, but it is always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi earthmotherwithin, It's my favorite frosting recipe. My neighbor just asked me for it. I love the concept.

      Delete
  7. How lovely to make a beautiful birthday cake for this little boy, Stephenie. He must have been thrilled! I make my son a birthday cake every year. He chooses one he'd like from a birthday cake recipe book we have.

    I have made and decorated cakes that became a moon, ladybug, dinosaur, racetrack and even an ice-cream echidna cake. I get a lot of joy out of making them and continuing on this tradition. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg, Your cakes sound so creative. Mine are old fashioned and simple, but very tasty.

      Delete
  8. I love cake, especially if it has a wonderful rich thick frosting. I guess I have never grown up! I made my father an old fashioned carrot cake for his birthday last month. It was a recipe from the early 1960s with cream cheese and butter frosting. It was really good, but so rich. I wish I could have seen the children and neighbors enjoying your cake (and maybe sharing a small slice with you all)!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love cake, too, Anita. It just makes me feel happy, like a child. Your carrot cake sounds delicious! Hopefully we can enjoy a slice of cake together sometime. (and knit!)

      Delete
  9. That sounds lovley Stephenie and very generous of you.
    I love to bake, I had a real treat of a beautiful pink kitchenaid mixer this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely thing to do making a cake for the little boy. I used to make cakes for our two children when they were little and they loved them. There's always so much love goes into a baking for someone special :) I don't bake nearly enough now with just the two of us x

    ReplyDelete