Saturday, September 7, 2019

No Power Last Night: A Blackout



Last night our power went out at 9:00 p.m. I was right in the middle of carefully placing some homemade chicken broth in the refrigerator.  I changed my mind, and transferred it to the freezer.

Fortunately, the electric company had warned us in advance that the power would be turned off from 9:00 p.m.until 7:00 a.m. the next morning.  To be honest, I had forgotten. Still,  I felt prepared.  I lit my hurricane lamp, and it illuminated the living room nicely.  My gas stove is from the 1950's, and it works without electricity.  I find it so convenient.  The other one I had used an electronic ignition.  It makes such a difference to be able to cook, bake,  and make coffee in a power outage.

I went out to the car and fetched my large red flashlight that my mother kept in the car that I inherited.  It has a siren, radio, solar cranked light, and comes in very handy.  I thanked her out loud for being so prepared.  I also have a Red Cross flashlight in my nightstand drawer that is a smaller version with the same features.  It's a relief to have plenty of light.  Lula was very happy to see the flashlight beaming into the backyard.

I lit my beeswax candle, and kept it on the nightstand.  It's amazing how dark the streets get during a blackout.  I kept the living room lit up with the hurricane lamp all night, while I slept.  It just made me feel safer.  There were a few families walking down the street together with flashlights.  I think maybe they were going to friends' houses who didn't have flashlights or supplies.  Most of the homes were completely dark.  The outdoor solar lights make a huge difference by lighting the area around your front door, too.  I plan to  invest in some of those for the future.

This morning, when I got up at 7:00 a.m., the electricity still wasn't working.  Fortunately, I had ground some coffee beans and stored them in the freezer.  I scooped them into my French press, heated up the water on the gas vintage  stove,  and made a fresh pot of French roast coffee.  It felt very calming and satisfying to be prepared.  The mountain cabin has an electric stove, so I might have to work out an alternative.

I had moved the container of half and half into the freezer.  Everything stayed fresh, and I made a chicken, tortilla, and cheese casserole this afternoon.  I had assembled it last night.  What a relief that no food was spoiled or wasted. My neighbor, who's also a single woman, told me that a she went and stayed with a friend.  It felt good to be cozy, well provided for, and safe.  It was so dark before bed that I couldn't find Lula.  Unbeknownst to me, she was out in the front yard.  We were both a bit disoriented with so little light.  Do you have the supplies you need for a power outage?  Has it ever happened in your area?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.        

29 comments:

  1. Stephenie, what a great opportunity to live like the past and test your resourcefulness! You sound like you were well prepared even if you had forgotten about the power going out.

    I always manage really well in power outages. We have a gas stove to cook with and I keep the fridges etc shut as much as possible so not to let the cold air out. Our lights are run by batteries that are charged by our solar system, so they never go out.

    I enjoyed reading through this post, I love the detail.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tania. It was a rewarding feeling. Keeping the fridge shut really does help. I also had lots of frozen goat's milk ice cubes in the freezer. (for soapmaking.) Those lights you have sound excellent!

      Delete
  2. I like how you were prepared and that you used the multi-purpose light that was your mom's. I might buy one, the solar power aspect would be useful. Interesting to experience the deep blackness. My gas stove top works without electricity too, so hot water is available for tea and coffee, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terra. It's so great to hear from you again. Your situation sounds ideal. I'm interested in more solar lights, too. My mom had a first aid kit, flashlights, stain removal wipes, change for tolls, and other supplies in her VW Beetle. I left everything the way she kept it. She was so organized.

      Delete
  3. You were very well prepared, I keep a huge stash of candles for power cuts, we have solar lights around the back garden, they do a wonderful job. At least you could make a hot drink as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Everday Life. That's excellent that you have such a stash. I plan to buy more candles and hurricane lamps. The soft light that they provide is so beautiful.

      Delete
  4. Just this morning, I added candles and matches to my stockpile list, Stephenie. We don't get blackouts here very often but am not sure what this Summer will bring. We have a battery operated torch and your post has reminded me to check the spare battery supplies too! Glad you were well prepared and felt safe. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. I've never seen a battery operated torch, Meg. I just replaced the batteries in one of my flashlights that wasn't working. Now it's fine.

      Delete
  5. I do think it is a good idea to have a backup in case of power failure. We are now an all-electric kitchen, but the Barbecue is bottled gas so we can use that. I always have candles and tea lights and so on, on hand. Most fridges and freezers can cope with hours without power, so long as you don't keep opening the doors! Looks like you managed very well though. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi earthmotherwithin, The new cabin has the same type of barbecue that you described. That's true about keeping the doors closed on the fridge and freezer. Everything was fine.

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad that you are so well prepared for a power outage. It sounds like you were quite calm about the whole thing, as you were so well prepared. I had the power go out a few months back and remember lighting candles and using my flashlights. I sleep with a flashlight under my pillow (ever since the Northridge earthquake) and I keep one in the car, as well. There are a couple of other flashlights, as well, one in the kitchen and one in the family room. I like the idea of a hurricane lamp and should look into getting one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, Sometimes you can find them at thrift stores. I saw several at an antique store the other day. I plan to return and buy them. They're so charming and practical.

      Delete
  7. We often have power outages here but, luckily, mostly during daylight hours. Our cooker and hob both work off electricity so we can't cook during the outage. You are so well prepared Stephenie and it sounds as if you take after your mum. Wasn't it wonderful that others were walking to other people who might need help. If we get a power cut during the evening I have lots of candles to light and it becomes very cosy, no TV so we actually talk to each other! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pensive Pensioner, I don't have television. I'm more of a bookworm. I've heard that some people cook on their fireplace, using a dutch oven. I think I will stock up on more turkey jerky and nuts. It helps to have protein on hand in an emergency.

      Delete
  8. You sound very relaxed about the whole thing. We seldom have power cuts here but I am well prepared with candles and a small gas burner. If we were really stuck we could cook on the woodstove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, Thanks. Your small gas burner sounds interesting and useful. In the old days, everyone used to cook on their wood stoves.

      Delete
  9. You were well prepared. I loved reading this post.

    I have stocked up different types of batteries and candles because we tend to lose power for days if a hurricane hits. I also have a small propane stove, and a solar light. I like your mom's emergency light. It has very useful features. I'm going to see if I can find a similar one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, That's great that you have a small propane stove. Yes, my mom's big red flashlight came in very handy. It lit up the whole backyard!

      Delete
  10. For years I relayed on the wok burner on the BBQ to cook with the power went out. I use battery powered LED string lights that are placed in large glass jars and a rechargeable LED camping light. Flashlights are stored in top drawer in every bedside cabinet for emergencies. I try to limit candles in blackout for safety reasons. Very considerate for the electricity supplier to work at night when it least effects most of the population. R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. R, That's a clever idea, using the wok burner on the BBQ. Thanks for reading and for commenting.

      Delete
  11. When we were out on the ranch, there were no other lights. When I moved to town, I had to close the curtains and blinds to sleep. I wasn't used to so much light at night. I think it's peaceful when the power is out.
    Oh you might just look at a little propane camp stove to keep at the cabin. They are easy to use, easy to store and not very expensive.
    Glad you were able to have your morning coffee 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lady Locust, I know what you mean about the light. I had to buy a blackout shade when I fist moved into this cottage. The street light poured into my window when I was trying to sleep. The cabin has a large, fancy, gas BBQ. It will come in handy.

      Delete
  12. It sounds like a fun adventure, glad you were so prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems you are very prepared for emergencies. We rarely have outages here which is a good thing. Our power lines are all underground which probably helps. I keep some candles and a large stock of batteries, just in case. We also have all the boys camping gear in the garage which includes some lanterns, flashlights and a water filtration kit. I suspect we would cook on the trusty old Weber outside!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, All of that camping gear sounds so useful. We had a Weber growing up when I was young. I love them.

      Delete
  14. Sounds like you had a cozy time! When we have lost power in the middle of the night (and usually here if that happens, it is only from an hour or so), it is so quiet that we wake up due to wondering why it is so quiet! lol No humming of appliances, etc. We have a generator for backup. I made a little hat that looks like your tea cozy! I made it a few years ago when I was teaching myself to crochet and knit. It ended up too small....I think it might now make a good tea cozy after seeing yours. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, One of my neighbors has a generator, too. I thought the same thing about the tea cozy. It is almost like knitting a hat, except for the openings for the spout and handle.

      Delete
  15. blackouts are common place here so we're always sort of prepared for them, though these days i don't have torches, most of our street lights now run on solar, which is a relief in itself too; most properties usually have solar garden lights as well, power is always upgraded here so they are getting fewer black outs or outages; storm season usually has people buying candles & kerosene.
    you should invest in a camp stove, it has its own tube of gas, very handy so my neighbour tells me; i have a gas stove top so haven't bought one yet. they come in single or double & a lot of caravan travellers use them too; much better in bush fire season (total fire ban here atm)
    can't wait to see your cabin!
    lovely post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete