Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Exhausted From Hiking and Swimming In The Lake



Today I decided to drive up to the cabin with Lula.  I was dying to go swimming in the lake!  I packed a lunch of a cold chicken breast with BBQ sauce, homemade popcorn topped with grated parmesan cheese, and a piece of leftover yellow cake with chocolate truffle frosting.

I had a couple of mugs  of hot French roast coffee at 6:00 a.m., and chomped on a handful of salt and pepper pistachio nuts and a banana.  The drive up there always passes quickly.  It's such a relief not to have to deal with traffic.

The lake was quiet and peaceful.  There was just one fisherman there.  I sat at a picnic table in the shade, and enjoyed my delicious lunch.  I gave Lula a couple of dog biscuits that I had packed for her.  The water was sparkling, and the view was gorgeous!

We drove up to the cabin.  I parked up above where I soon will be spending much of my time, and walked Lula down through the neighborhood.  We took a different route this time.  The houses are absolutely lovely.  The neighborhood is what I've always wanted, yet the homes aren't ostentatious.  They all look so homey.  It seems like the people who live there really value nature, home, the mountains, and a quiet life.  I feel very comfortable.  Everyone is so friendly, too. The vibe is healthy and relaxed.

I found a new trail that was exquisite.  It was high up in the mountains, deep in the thick of the Jeffery pines.  The narrow trail  was so wooded and special.  I felt like we were far, far away from civilization.  The fresh air really fills your lungs. I can see why people recommend living at a high altitude for health reasons.  It makes me feel like a different person, more energetic and excited.  Drugs and addiction seem like they are left behind in the city.    

This website    has a great article on moving to the mountains by Linda Jo Martin.  The article is called How I Moved to a Cabin in the Mountains.  She lived in Happy Camp, California, as a single mother.  I really enjoyed reading about her experience there.  She didn't earn much money, but she loved the location and the people.  I can really relate to her description of where she lived before she moved.  Location is so important.  The people around us really affect us.  The energy of depression is very heavy.

On the way home, I followed some signs to a farm that sells fresh peaches and plums.  I bought a few baskets of fruit.  Everything looks spectacular! The peaches this time of year are incredibly sweet.  I was impressed with the prices, too.  I also bought some Gala apples.  There is no need to go to the grocery store this week, except maybe for some greens.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful day! I love the excitement of your new cabin...I wonder how long before it is actually available for you to enjoy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi earthmotherwithin, We are getting closer; it won't be long now. I will tell you once we have closed escrow.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful way to spend the day! You'll soon be able to spend more time up there and relax in your own cabin! The farm fresh produce sounds delicious and whatever you have cooking in that skillet looks delicious, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, Thank you. The peaches and plums are very sweet, and they have no spray. I was making chicken fried steak in that pan.

      Delete
  3. The neighbourhood sounds perfect, I guess you are right you are only going to get certain types of people living there, who are interested in simplicity and nature.
    Buying produce like that is so much nicer than the grocery stores. I would rather pay local people rather than big chains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Everyday Life, It sure seems that way. The gardens and homes are just beautiful. I love buying local produce, too. They have a farmers' market there each week, which I am eager to attend.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like the perfect day. Do you think most of your neighbors are living there full time year round? If so, I imagine it will be a very close knit community. How wonderful you were able to still find peaches and plums. Not long now until that sweet cabin will be all yours!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, I'm not sure what the percentage of vacation homes is. It looks like both of my next door neighbors are living there full time. The nice thing is, I can do what I like. It's getting harder to come back to the city. I just love the vibe of being in the forest and the energy of the mountains.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you had a lovely day. I could picture the mountains and the lake by reading your post.
    I know you must be waiting eagerly to spend time in your new cabin. Do you think you will be able to move in October?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, I should be able to move in by September. I don't want to say the date yet, but things are moving along right on schedule. I am very excited!

      Delete
  6. That was so sweet of your to bake the birthday cake (last post)! I was craving a chocolate cake and was ready to make one, but ended up buying one at Costco. Your visit sounds heavenly! So glad you have the cabin now and Lula is such a good traveler! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. Yes, Lula is an excellent traveler. She loves it. I haven't tried Costco's chocolate cakes. We used to have their lemon cake when I taught for the Parks and Rec dept. It was delicious.

      Delete