Thursday, April 30, 2020

An Early Morning Hike and a New Bike Rack

This morning I took Lula hiking on one of your favorite trails.  I didn't think it would be open, but I noticed the other day noticed that the driveway was no longer blocked off, as most of the others are.  There was only one other car parked in the lot when we arrived.  I made sure to leave very early in the morning.  We had the trail to ourselves.  It was glorious! 

California opened some of its beaches and state parks recently, but they will be closed again tomorrow.  (from what I understand.)  I brought my trusty mask that my friend made me.  Lula and I enjoyed the babbling brook,  fresh air, and the dense woods.  It felt incredible to be out in nature, on the trail.  Boy do I miss hiking! 

Today I bought a bike rack at our local bike shop, Canyon Bikes.  The owner installed it for me on my dad's Nissan.  I bought a lightweight used Schwinn bike that I've had my eye on to keep up at the cabin.  I have been wanting a sturdy rack like this for years, so I am really excited.  I also wanted to buy it from Sean, and not from a big box store.

I also purchased a bike pump.  It's handy to be able to keep air in your tires from home.  This one is easy to use, and it's well made. It's a Serfas floor pump.  I feel so relieved, now that I have it.  I used to walk or ride down the highway to the gas station when my tires needed air.  Now I am fully prepared.

Have you been able to ride your bike in this gorgeous weather?  I am so glad that we are still able to walk our dogs and take a bike ride.  It makes all the difference in my mental health.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear.  They are moderated.      

22 comments:

  1. I would like to have walking/biking trails like yours. They sound so much better than mine.

    Having a bike rack is definitely a good idea for transporting to a nice track to ride, and a good idea to get a pump too.

    I have a bike but I have never been one to ride a bike. I have been thinking about it more in these times we are in, for going to the shop to pick up a few things etc. I would need to add something to hold groceries on the back though as the basket on the front may be too small.

    Love hearing about your days,
    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Tania, Thank you. I have a Burley Travoy bike trailer which is fabulous! It's ideal for transporting groceries, and doubles as a shopping cart.

      Delete
  2. I had a couple good bikes...an old cruiser schwinn and a sportier one. I ended up not using them much. So nice you had a nice hike. A bike pump is very handy. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, Too bad you didn't get much use out of them. I ride every day. I am excited to be able to ride in new places.

      Delete
  3. it does feel good to get out in nature, doesn't it? Our parks are open for walkers and campers now, so that is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful, emw. I am going to see if our bike trails are open today.

      Delete
  4. Heheee I can only ride a bike in a straight line! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could ride along the beach then, Nil. Our beach path here is my favorite. I can't wait to get on it again.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you really enjoyed your hike, Stephenie, and how nice to have a bike rack and the pump. I hope you are able to continue to hike and ride.

    As for me, I don't have a bike (haven't had or ridden one since I was a preteen!), don't hike, or have a dog to walk. :) I am perfectly happy, though, to stay at home and walk in my garden or driveway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our neighbors came by the other day from down the lane and we were admiring their kids new bikes. And then started talking about buying bikes for ourselves. Now I'm doing some research to see what would be a good bike out here in the country. It would be fun to ride again! Enjoy your new bike. X Chy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chy, It's so freeing to ride bikes. I have found some excellent deals on used bikes here. I also have picked up a couple for free on the sidewalk. I plan to have them repaired.

      Delete
  7. There's nothing like a good tramp around in the open countryside to raise the spirits. I'm glad you had the opportunity.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been riding my bike to work most days. It's quite pleasant while the roads are quiet. Lily has been riding hers along the driveway at home. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's so cute. That's great that you commute by bicycle to work.

      Delete
  9. Boy-the message(s) from the Governor yesterday were certainly confusing. The river park preserve next to our house opened up the trails on Monday which has been wonderful. The trails are in awful shape after all the rain, but for the most part they are still passable. Believe me-no one wants to see me on a bike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see you on a bike, Anita. I listened to the Governor on the radio today, and it was very bizarre. I do agree with being careful for as long as we need to, though. I hope some of the hiking trails are still open; I biked on a path today. It was beautiful out in the sunshine.

      Delete
  10. We are no longer fit enough for bike riding but we do like a walk out in nature it really does life the spirits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, mm. I love spending time in nature; it calms me down.

      Delete
  11. You are so very right. Suicides and depression have been through the roof since the stay at home order went into effect. I'm glad you and Lula were able to get out and stretch your legs. It's such a gorgeous time of year to be out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, LL. It's getting much warmer here, too. I dug up weeds for a while this morning.

      Delete