Wednesday, April 22, 2020

California Poppies, Celery, Pink Roses, and More Garden Photos



I have some more photos of the garden for you.  The picture above captures the  bright orange of my patch of California poppies.  I save the seeds every year and spread them in the ground.  If we have rain, they come back each spring.  They are so easy to grow here!



This celery plant I rooted from the base of a bunch that I got from the co-op.  I set it in water for about a week, changing the water each day.  It looks like it's pretty happy.  We will see it it regrows...



My pink roses make my heart melt.  I thought that I couldn't grow roses.  I gave up on them for fifteen years.  Then I decided to try planting them in the ground instead of in pots.  I stopped trimming them and fussing over them.  What a difference!



They go through different stages of color.  I find their energy to be so spiritual and uplifting.  I love to sit outside and bask in their beauty.



The bearded irises are almost finished blooming.  They come all the way up to my shoulder this year!



This is the backyard.  All of the green spots are weeds that I am removing each day.  I have my work cut out for me. I use a shovel and they come up easily.  In time, this will be a forest of fruit trees...

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

 

20 comments:

  1. Your pink roses are gorgeous, Stephanie. So very pretty. I have irises that my mum gave to me but I need to dig them up and move them to a better position so they flower. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. I love irises. They smell delicious.

      Delete
  2. Those poppies are just glorious! I noticed them in an earlier photo, too. They provide such a bright spot of color, don't they? Your roses are beautiful, too, and I'm glad you are able to grow them, now. :) I love the color of those irises, too. I've not had much success with bearded iris, so, I'll just admire yours! The celery plant looks like it is thriving! I am pretty sure you'll be harvesting some celery, later in the year. You have a big back yard, with plenty of room for fruit trees. You'll soon have an orchard. Nice view of the mountains, too. :) Gardens can take a lot of time, but, it's rewarding work, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Bless, The bearded irises took several years to bloom. Maybe even a decade, with the drought. Yes, the result is very rewarding.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy seeing your garden. It’s so beautiful.
    I also have a celery root in a glass of water and plan to put it in a pot very soon. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nil. The roses add a whole new dimension. I hope your celery does well. I am going to root another one.

      Delete
  4. I dearly love irises, they are such lovely flowers.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them, too, Joy. I want to get some different colors, and add them.

      Delete
  5. Love the roses, such a beautiful palette of colour. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mm. I am thrilled with the roses as an addition. They bring a spititual dimension to the garden.

      Delete
  6. Your flowers are so beautiful. Love those bright poppies and the roses are exquisite! The irises are lovely also. We do not have a lot of flowers here yet - I am enjoying my daffodils though. You are lucky to have such a nice property to care for. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ellen D. Thanks for reading and for commenting. I love daffodils. I hope to plant some next year. Yes, I am very grateful for my property.

      Delete
  7. Poppies also make me happy. We had a wonderful crop of them on the hills around our house last spring, but almost none this year. I think 2 years of winter rains have caused the grasses and non-native plants to take over. I always love seeing poppies along the side of the roads and freeways. Good luck with the weeding in the back of your lot. Moist soil makes that job a bit easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Anita. I just do a patch each day. The temperatures have been perfect lately.

      Delete
  8. Oh you have a wonderful space Stephanie! That will be a great orchard. Also, your celery looks very happy. I tried that once without success. I just got some celery - might have to try again:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lady Locust, I hope it works for you this time. It's fun to watch it grow.

      Delete
  9. Your roses and Irises are particularly beautiful, I love them :) I can just imagine your fruit tree forest in years to come too. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PP, it's fun to imagine it in the future. The rain has been incredible this year.

      Delete
  10. Those flowers are just so amazing, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete